Temporary tank upgrade - RedSea Reefer 350 (Reef Moonshiner Method)

jake royston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured id let you all know what im up to. So long story short, I started my first reef tank after moving into my first home in January of this year. It was supposed to be set up as a freshwater tank, to transfer my fish from my old 36 gallon bowfront, which ended up being given to a buddy of mine. I started with an aqueon 75 gallon tank/stand ensemble from petsmart. No sump, just HOB skimmer, HOB refugium, and a few other odds and ends (see my previous build thread here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...with-lps-polyp-extension.846404/#post-9213086).

Ive learned a lot with this tank, and have more coral losses than i care to remember. My plan is to upgrade to the Waterbox Reef LX 320.7 sometime next year, and that plan still stands. This large upgrade will be started from scratch, cycled and put through the uglies the proper way, not like i did with my 75.

So, here is what led to the reefer... My 75g is against a wall that separates my kitchen from my front room / entry way (a game room... well, it has an old pool table in it, so thats what i call it, LOL). So thinking about tank placement, in my logic, means id have to break down the old tank before the new tank goes in. With starting from scratch, this doesn't work without a ton of work and risk. I've wanted a "real reef tank" since i started, so i figured id buy a similar sized redsea tank, move the current one out, and give myself the opportunity to start the Reef LX the way i want to. This option satisfies the upgrade bug for the next year until i can buy everything i need for the dream tank all at once, rather than in pieces. It will also look much nicer in my home than my Frankenstein setup i have now, which i havent really been super happy with. (Yes, i am impatient and fancy the finer things, and yes, it is expensive, but worth it in my eyes).

Enough rambling, and onto the build:

This tank will be run with the Reef Moonshiners method. I sent off an ICP this week, and plan on using all the old water in the new tank, and topping off the new tank with fresh mixed salt water. The plan is a mixed reef, SPS, LPS and some zoas.

Tank has been ordered, and hopefully delivered in the next week or so.

Equipment ordered:
- RedSea Reefer 350, white
- Eshopps Axium X160 protein skimmer
- Syncra silent 4.0 return pump
- 60 lbs Carib Sea Fiji Pink sand
- Vivid Creative return line upgrade kit, dual nozzle with random flow generator
- Reef Moonshiner's trace elements

Equipment to be used from old tank
- 2x RedSea Reef LED 90's with mounting arms
- 2x Ecotech Vortech MP40's
- Neptune Apex EL
- Neptune Trident
- BRS 300 watt titanium heater with Inkbird controller
- Tunze osmilator ATO
- about 50-60 lbs of CaribSea life rock

Livestock: (currently in final observation stage of QT, after an Ich outbreak)

- small Blue hippo tang
- Hawaiian yellow tang
- small One spot foxface rabbitfish
- pair of oscellaris clowns
- lawnmower blenny
- royal grama

Current Corals:

- GSP
- Magician Zoa
- Hornet Zoa
- Alpha omega Zoa
- Mystery Zoa
- Green stylo
- pink rock flower anemone
- Teal hammer
- Green pavona
- Splatter frammer
- purple candycane
- gulf strean Goni
- Radical Ricordea
- Green Efflo Acro
- Plutonium Tenuis Acro
- Purple Staghorn Acro
- Red Monti cap

Also have a black torch, green frogspawn, and green goni that arent looking so hot, but still seem to be alive. (Thanks to a faulty refractometer calibration solution that left me with a salinity of 1.021 for at least a few months).

Looking forward to this build and keeping this thread updated!

Current setup

0187AB90-02DB-4655-92FD-F766B3225FA1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jake royston

jake royston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank arrived today. Crazy to think I ordered it Friday night, and I’m assembling the stand today (Tuesday). I’ll post an update once it’s assembled!

Attachments

• A96DE9DD-9BFC-4EB1-BDBF-DD13E3F4915B.jpeg
    A96DE9DD-9BFC-4EB1-BDBF-DD13E3F4915B.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 94EB69C0-C0AC-4950-A46A-8FC2D3A3EECB.jpeg
    94EB69C0-C0AC-4950-A46A-8FC2D3A3EECB.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
jake royston

jake royston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was put together on Tuesday! Assembly was really easy and manageable, and I was stoked to see the 350 now comes with a solid plywood cabinet and leveling feet! Redsea website says MDF and no leveling feet, so I assume this is a recent change. This thing is SOLID. Worth every penny and doesn’t wobble at all. I am absolutely in love with this tank!

2C86FAA5-BB5E-4B34-AC94-25DF6C4BFA55.jpeg
0B2C9BDC-7E27-4D4F-896E-14DFEEC708F3.jpeg

Yesterday was the tedious moving day! Rinsed the **** out of the new sand (still ended up being a tad cloudy). Moved all the rock, corals, and equipment over to the reefer! Along with my baby foxface. Other fish in QT are doing great and will be going in the tank over the next couple days.

as I was lifting the last rock from the old tank, a large unexpected guest scared the living crap out of me about an inch from my hand. Caught him!
0F4BE9C7-594F-49BA-8801-92D8BFF276EB.jpeg

93D419E2-16CF-4D40-A3BB-642895960342.jpeg

Everything in, re scaped, and all equipment finally in a sump! Getting a controller board and cleaning up the nest of wires will be a project for a different day. Skimmer doesn’t do much other than spew micro bubbles everywhere, pretty sure it’s normal while it breaks in?
751BD31F-E0AA-49CA-8E37-11A85B0B0326.jpeg

B4ADF584-4695-46DA-B165-EC8C574538C8.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back