Ten gallon hopefully softie/lps tank

fltohi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. My name is Parker I graduated in December and have been working from home since. I also go to grad school online so I am pretty much always home. I decided to give a reef tank a try as I have excelled with freshwater and dart frogs and various geckos. It has been a ride to say the least. This is gonna be my journal of everything that has happened as well as keeping it up with everything that is going on.

set up and gear:

fijicube 10g
Stock pump
Aqua knight 30w
Hygger heater 50 w
Nicrew temp controller
5 lbs life rock
2lbs live rock
4lbs dry rock
5 lbs live sand

stocking
One blue legged hermit
One red legged hermit
One nerite
Three asterinas

Set up.
038E3DA2-AA7F-4376-A1D1-E93877795FD8.jpeg

after this I let is sit for a week then added one blue leg one red leg and a nassarius snail. During this time I was spot feeding them mysis and dosing bactrostart.

A9AF58BF-B11D-491E-8468-A5453860303A.jpeg

After listening to reef therapy, I decided to get an easy coral to drop in as the hosts advised this. I went with a sinularia. Safe to say it went horribly wrong.
B822E2D9-F1E5-4EA0-9213-4D81DE196F71.jpeg

this coral then turned black and smelled like sewage so I got rid of it.
then I got covid. This let me just let the cycle continue and spit feed the three CUC. Until my red legged ate my nassarius.

a couple shots of it during covid.
1310788A-0B3B-4C8E-99F8-E8E6A98207A9.jpeg
694D773D-1E09-4802-B473-5F9A905B471F.jpeg

After this and testing and testing. I got Bruce!
6B4084C1-0E76-4BF8-ACA4-15BC54ED86CE.jpeg

I also got two trochus snails and another nassarius. Nassarius was eaten and the trochus never left their shells.
Now the ugly stage is getting worse and I somehow killed a discosoma the day after getting it. Waiting for more coral for two weeks then will try Xenia or clove polyps. This is probably going to be a journal of me just failing. But enjoy the ride if you come along with me. C96F81D8-6090-49FE-8EFA-7E507910749A.jpeg

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty world!

Have you watched the BRSTV 52 Weeks of Reefing series on Youtube? I recommend it, it's really informative.

OP
OP
fltohi

fltohi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty world!

Have you watched the BRSTV 52 Weeks of Reefing series on Youtube? I recommend it, it's really informative.
I have! Great info. Also a huge fan of inappropriate reefer

OP
OP
fltohi

fltohi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for today. Tank looking good. Need to get my hermits out (my roommate is getting a mini complete tank and wants the two hermits for it) so I can get more snails. Trochus, nerites and nassarius.
image.jpg

OP
OP
fltohi

fltohi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what I should test for that is causing soft corals to melt??

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what I should test for that is causing soft corals to melt??
My sinularia loved high phosphate, like really high. Once I dropped that to a normal level it shrank and died. However, if you lost a discosoma I’m wondering about your lights. I don’t see it in your equipment list, and don’t recognize the brand from the photos.

OP
OP
fltohi

fltohi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sinularia loved high phosphate, like really high. Once I dropped that to a normal level it shrank and died. However, if you lost a discosoma I’m wondering about your lights. I don’t see it in your equipment list, and don’t recognize the brand from the photos.
Hi, I have an aqua knight/hipergeru currently run it around 40% whites 50% blues

OP
OP
fltohi

fltohi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D83FDF85-8A40-40ED-9F92-B41AF1FAF6FF.jpeg
Update. 08/30/2021. Everything is going great. Nitrates are down to five. So I am going to start feeding a bit heavier. And continue my water change schedule. I think I am going to acclimate a molly to saltwater for the tank as after reading several articles it seems like with how they pick at rocks and algae they would be a great nano substitute for a tang! After that. I think I am done on fish and will wait to add any corals until the middle of next month.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Removing the rocks and scraping off the algae with a wire brush is also a good option. Or blasting them off with a garden hose.

OP
OP
fltohi

fltohi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Removing the rocks and scraping off the algae with a wire brush is also a good option. Or blasting them off with a garden hose.
Definitely thinking about it! Going to petropolis live tonight and seeing what fish they have. Tested everything yesterday before and after a WC and everything was well in range. Hoping for a gramma or goby. But we will see

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely thinking about it! Going to petropolis live tonight and seeing what fish they have. Tested everything yesterday before and after a WC and everything was well in range. Hoping for a gramma or goby. But we will see
They always have a great selection!

Are you thinking a goby? Or jawfish or something similar? Or more like a royal gramma/firefish type?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad I couldn’t make it there tonight. It would be cool meeting a fellow reefer. ;Facepalm ;Smuggrin

OP
OP
fltohi

fltohi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They always have a great selection!

Are you thinking a goby? Or jawfish or something similar? Or more like a royal gramma/firefish type?
Well. I had a watchman when I had my first reef and there is something about the species of prawn gobies I adore. I love the blue freckles. But I love the dart fish/gramma body type as well! We will see too many choices for only having one more fish

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I had a watchman when I had my first reef and there is something about the species of prawn gobies I adore. I love the blue freckles. But I love the dart fish/gramma body type as well! We will see too many choices for only having one more fish
Jawfish are incredible. They are much more expensive than prawn gobys, but it’s worth it IMO.

(I’ll try to get a picture of my prawn goby tomorrow)

OP
OP
fltohi

fltohi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfish are incredible. They are much more expensive than prawn gobys, but it’s worth it IMO.

(I’ll try to get a picture of my prawn goby tomorrow)
So I got my gramma last night! Wish I took pics because I have not seen him since last night. Hopefully he’s still in there and he’s getting used to his new home. Gonna have to resist the urge move all the rock. Got three astreas as well and they have not moved so hopefully they are just taking their time. All will be more evident in time.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my gramma last night! Wish I took pics because I have not seen him since last night. Hopefully he’s still in there and he’s getting used to his new home. Gonna have to resist the urge move all the rock. Got three astreas as well and they have not moved so hopefully they are just taking their time. All will be more evident in time.
Hoping all the best! He is probably just hiding, completely normal.

Are your clowns aggressive or do you know?

Back