Tenecor's $29* ReefPoint® 3 Gallon DIY Frag Kit Drops This Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Chewy954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine, all done, except fully security the baffles.
Can I see someone's media holder and where you put it?
16758948951598733970737842052501.jpg 16758949188096500989626981368790.jpg
I love it!!

what light are rocking? I was thinking an AI Prime myself.

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it!!

what light are rocking? I was thinking an AI Prime myself.
I want to get another AI Prime, as that is what is on my big tank, but the LFS had this one and said it would work fine, and sold it to me for $60
Do I really have to wait 48 hours to see if it's watertight? I used Weldon 4.
16758963428155710605800039598807.jpg

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of this brand. If you are thinking of buying it then I'm guessing it is good?
Aquaknight is now Hipargero which is in the same class as like Nicrew and Smatfarm. Good lights at pretty cheap prices that have built themselves a decent name.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A029 AquaKnight Nano Reef Light ($69 Amazon)
I have one a Sm QT tank. Nice light for that it offers. Can adjust blues/white intensity, but that is the extent you can change other than timer hrs.
  • A029 is 30watt, It is suit for nano tank
  • The nano tank size is 18"(Width), 16"(Depth)
  • The nano tank less than 20Gallon
  • Build-in Timer -- 2nd Generation A029 support Timer. It can set 8 working Hours /10 / 12 /14 /24Hours per day. Please note the timer starts when AC plug on.
  • Sunrise/Sunset support --2nd Generation A029 has Sunrise / Sunset functions. After customer setting working hours and brightness of channels, please turn the sunrise /sunset switch on, A029 will do sunrise. It will be weak and change brighter and brighter like run rise. Long time touch Timer button to turn switch ON or OFF. When switch is on, the white channel will flash three times. When switch is off, the blue channel will flash three time. The default setting is OFF. Please note that the timer starts when AC plug on and the sunrise switch is on, A029 will do sunrise. So it will very weak at start, please wait 30min. A029 brightness will be setting brightness after sunrise. The lamp will run sunset function before turning off. Sunrise and Sunset period is 30minutes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinking of going this Nicrew HyperReef 30w and Dual Channel timer ($91 Amazon) for the DIY 11x11 tank.
Anyone have alternative budget light recomendations?

1675964704240.png

Nicrew HyperReef 30w
  • Full color spectrum (popular blue spectrum, red, green and Violet+UV) can promote optimal coral growth and enhance dramatic coloration, while creating a gentle shimmer throughout the aquarium
  • With a maximum spread of 20'' x 20'', the light has a peak PAR of 58µMol at a depth of 24 inches, perfect for small to medium reef tanks
  • Comes with Dual-channel wired controller, white and blue channels can be operated together or independently, allowing you to adjust the light intensity and spectrum for your tank
  • Easily mount your light on your rimmed or rimless tank with the tank mount included, you can also choose to suspend the light above your aquarium with hanging kit (Sold Separately)
  • Compatible with NICREW Dual-channel timer to adjust the lighting spectrum(Only HyperReef 30 is compatible), simulate a gradual sunrise and fading sunset through the gradual increase and decrease of light intensities.
    1675965428787.png
Few plus's I believe this set up has over the Aquaknight
1) - If the power goes out, adding this timer the internal memory is stored with exception for the current time. You still need to reset the clock. A029 come on with stock setting. Need to reprogram everything again.
2) - Adding dual channel timer you can change the White Blue for sunset, where A029 is whatever W/B setting ramped up/down for sunrise/sunset.
3) 2x the LEDs
1675965925504.png
1675966820086.png

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one a Sm QT tank. Nice light for that it offers. Can adjust blues/white intensity, but that is the extent you can change other than timer hrs.
  • Build-in Timer -- 2nd Generation A029 support Timer. It can set 8 working Hours /10 / 12 /14 /24Hours per day. Please note the timer starts when AC plug on.
  • Sunrise/Sunset support --2nd Generation A029 has Sunrise / Sunset functions. After customer setting working hours and brightness of channels, please turn the sunrise /sunset switch on, A029 will do sunrise. It will be weak and change brighter and brighter like run rise. Long time touch Timer button to turn switch ON or OFF. When switch is on, the white channel will flash three times. When switch is off, the blue channel will flash three time. The default setting is OFF. Please note that the timer starts when AC plug on and the sunrise switch is on, A029 will do sunrise. So it will very weak at start, please wait 30min. A029 brightness will be setting brightness after sunrise. The lamp will run sunset function before turning off. Sunrise and Sunset period is 30minutes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinking of going this Nicrew HyperReef 30w and Dual Channel timer ($91 Amazon) for the DIY 11x11 tank.

1675964704240.png

Nicrew HyperReef 30w
  • Full color spectrum (popular blue spectrum, red, green and Violet+UV) can promote optimal coral growth and enhance dramatic coloration, while creating a gentle shimmer throughout the aquarium
  • With a maximum spread of 20'' x 20'', the light has a peak PAR of 58µMol at a depth of 24 inches, perfect for small to medium reef tanks
  • Comes with Dual-channel wired controller, white and blue channels can be operated together or independently, allowing you to adjust the light intensity and spectrum for your tank
  • Easily mount your light on your rimmed or rimless tank with the tank mount included, you can also choose to suspend the light above your aquarium with hanging kit (Sold Separately)
  • Compatible with NICREW Dual-channel timer to adjust the lighting spectrum(Only HyperReef 30 is compatible), simulate a gradual sunrise and fading sunset through the gradual increase and decrease of light intensities.
    1675965428787.png
1) - If the power goes out, adding this timer the internal memory is stored with exception for the current time. You still need to reset the clock. A029 come on with stock setting. Need to reprogram everything again.
2) - Adding dual channel timer you can change the White Blue for sunset, where A029 is whatever W/B setting ramped up/down for sunrise/sunset.
3) 2x the LEDs
1675965925504.png
1675966820086.png
I like that HyperReef 30. I don't think my AquaKnight is the upgraded one, it has no timer/sunset. Just light. I suppose as long as it is enough light for the frag tank, its ok. But I'm tempted to take it back and get something else.

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to get another AI Prime, as that is what is on my big tank, but the LFS had this one and said it would work fine, and sold it to me for $60
Do I really have to wait 48 hours to see if it's watertight? I used Weldon 4.
16758963428155710605800039598807.jpg

1675964704240.png

Nicrew HyperReef 30w
    1675965428787.png
3) 2x the LEDs
1675965925504.png
1675966820086.png
I have the Nicrew 30W with controller its great on my 3.8 lifeguard!

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My budget nano light recommendation will always be Noopsyche K7 Mini until given a reason for it not to be. Twice the wattage of the Nicrew 30 you mentioned, wifi capability w/app, sunrise/sunset at about the same price.

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1675964704240.png

Nicrew HyperReef 30w
    1675965428787.png
3) 2x the LEDs
1675965925504.png
1675966820086.png
Thank you for this detailed and comparative review.

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received both DIY Tank and Sump : )
Waiting on Weldon, Acrylic sheets for customizing, Pump, Fittings, Light, etc. to put it all together.
My modified sump layout.
1675978372108.png
Thank you for sharing that! It is so helpfull. Now I wish I hadn't finished sealing everything. I like some of your modifications.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much time on my hands waiting for Weld-0n to assemble.
Another DIY "Add On" Idea.
ATO Siphon Box - .125 Acrylic Box - 4 x 5.625 x5.5to 6"H is between 55-60oz.
Putting ATO box over sump extension behind the tank would acts as a cover for 1/2 of the exposed sump. Less evaporation and noise from drain/filter sock/media area.
1676063488739.png

Chewy954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much time on my hands waiting for Weld-0n to assemble.
Another DIY "Add On" Idea.
ATO Siphon Box - .125 Acrylic Box - 4 x 5.625 x5.5to 6"H is between 55-60oz.
Putting ATO box over sump extension behind the tank would acts as a cover for 1/2 of the exposed sump. Less evaporation and noise from drain/filter sock/media area.
1676063488739.png
I was thinking the same, I would love to be able to make an acrylic ATO that still provides room for a skimmer.
I may 3D Print something if possible, but black acrylic would be way cleaner.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sumps look nice. I probably should have gotten one but I hate when I can't access something so was on the fence.

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just checked my tank after rewelding, and just have a few spots still to fix, but now realized my sump is leaking from where the "Tenecor" name is engraved.
Did anyone else have this issue?
Yes. I am not sure about yours but mine drips slow small beads of water from the "e" in tencor. I am going to ditch the leaky sump and just plumb the frag tank into one of my current systems. I ordered different bulkheads for the tank because the holes were a bit small to fit the original Lifeguard bulkheads I had purchased. The frag tank itself holds water well. The sump would have held water well if it were not for the logo. Kind of sad about the sump. Sorry to hear that it wasn't just mine that had an issue.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back