Tenecor's $29* ReefPoint® 3 Gallon DIY Frag Kit Drops This Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is larger than the actual tank. You will have access without lifting.

Yes, I guess so. It seems enough for filter sock/floss and skimmer or reactor perhaps but would still need to remove the tank if a person wanted to do any deeper cleaning. It's not a deal breaker, just curious.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify... you have to lift the tank off the sump to access the sump area? Like during a water change?

Be sure to add a notch for two for cords to exit the back.
Not sure about the notches. Please explain. There is plenty of room for cords where the light cutout is on the lid for anything you are running inside the tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the notches. Please explain. There is plenty of room for cords where the light cutout is on the lid

Yes sorry, nevermind that part. I misunderstood.

What color is the sump? Is it a solid color acrylic?

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i dont think anyone else posted it so i will. Look at this neat little plaque thingy they sent with my kit!

Attachments

• 16745818521556831996668626145048.jpg
    16745818521556831996668626145048.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 36

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO still coming?

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I guess so. It seems enough for filter sock/floss and skimmer or reactor perhaps but would still need to remove the tank if a person wanted to do any deeper cleaning. It's not a deal breaker, just curious.
I'm thinking filter sock and refugium. Won't be on a reverse light cycle, but I think it will work well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking filter sock and refugium. Won't be on a reverse light cycle, but I think it will work well.

using an underwater light maybe? It will be very wet in there :) I know someone makes them for fuges.

Edit: Tunze

Unless you meant just a tiny amount in the visible back part only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO still coming?
We can go either way on the drop off. AIO's are hard to glue up as DIY. Not the baffles to the filter wall and back of the tank but the side seams if it is a coast to coast. I don't want to put that out there until I figure a way to make the seams better. Functionally, they will be fine. But aesthetically, there may be lots of bubbles. It is because a Coast to Coast AIO has seams in three planes.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can go either way on the drop off. AIO's are hard to glue up as DIY. Not the baffles to the filter wall and back of the tank but the side seams if it is a coast to coast. I don't want to put that out there until I figure a way to make the seams better. Functionally, they will be fine. But aesthetically, there may be lots of bubbles. It is because a Coast to Coast AIO has seams in three planes.

You can silicone AIO's in on acrylic tanks. It doesn't gave to be welded since it is not structural and silicone can be redone if goofed.

Assuming I read that right and you mean attaching the AIO part.

You can also just wrap black vinyl paper around the AIO part in the back and overlap where the bubbles may be seen on the sides a bit.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can silicone AIO's in on acrylic tanks. It doesn't gave to be welded since it is not structural and silicone can be redone if goofed.

Assuming I read that right and you mean attaching the AIO part.

You can also just wrap black vinyl paper around the AIO part in the back and overlap where the bubbles may be seen on the sides a bit.

Just a thought.
You are exactly correct on both counts. We have done both and both work. It's a matter of coming up with what is easiest. These two DIY are part of a much larger DIY portfolio coming this year including sumps and filters and standardizing as much as possible up front is what I am trying to do. The silicone is probably the direction this will go.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm planning to try and install this over my larger tank, in such a way that the outlet from this tank drains down into the AIO filter compartment of the larger tank. I figure I should be able to find some heavy-duty shelf brackets that can support, what, 30-something pounds of tank, without a problem.

My question is, do I need to actually put a /shelf/ across those brackets, or does the thickness of the acrylic + smallness of the tank mean I can set it straight on the brackets? In other words, does the entire bottom of the tank need to be supported, or does it just need something stable + level?

Additional question: does anyone have a recommendation for how to get the quietest possible drain going on this thing? The way it's going to be set up, I could just slap in a couple half-inch lengths of pipe to keep the water from wicking along the bottom and be done with it. I'm basically trying to figure out the quietest way to have water fall about 4-5" and land in other water.

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional question: does anyone have a recommendation for how to get the quietest possible drain going on this thing? The way it's going to be set up, I could just slap in a couple half-inch lengths of pipe to keep the water from wicking along the bottom and be done with it. I'm basically trying to figure out the quietest way to have water fall about 4-5" and land in other water.

If you can get one of the pipes under water then on the inside of the weir on that same pipe, put a small stub of pipe with a slip to thread adapter. For the other pipe put a small stub of pipe under the tank and then about a 4" pipe inside the weir.

You can then get a 1/2 threaded plug and drill a small hole in it and put it in the adapter and run the tank. To see if the hole is big enough to handle the flow under suction with the second pipe as an emergency overflow. If not pull the plug out, drill it a little bigger and try again. Wash rinse and repeat until you find the size hole that will handle the flow without sucking air. Basically you are setting up an orifice plate to control flow instead of using a valve. Will take some trial but should work in that small space well enough.

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using an underwater light maybe? It will be very wet in there :) I know someone makes them for fuges.

Edit: Tunze

Unless you meant just a tiny amount in the visible back part only.
I have this light and it works well for my chaeto growing. I put it on a smart plug and now have easy reverse lightig schedule

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my FedEx delivery!! So excited about this frag tank, and then saw the sump for it!! Just ordered.
THEN I saw the new drop off desktop that is coming... Y'all are going to get me shot! My husband is going to really flip with all the new aquariums coming in here.

By the way, I didn't get any instructions in my box... But I did get stickers and that cute plaque.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%

Back