Tenecor's $29* ReefPoint® 3 Gallon DIY Frag Kit Drops This Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you guys buy weld from? I had some weld 4.. or so I thought but cap must have not been on well enough and it is empty now :p

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you guys buy weld from? I had some weld 4.. or so I thought but cap must have not been on well enough and it is empty now :p
Was kind of surprised to see none of my big box stores carried it, and Amazon was like 3 weeks out, probably because it's considered hazardous. If you have any acrylic or specialty plastic companies near you, they will likely have it.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked mine up off amazon. Shipped from Indiana and got to me in four days. With a neat little squeezie bottle and syringe tip.

I'm not good at making things neat apparently, but I am good at making neat things. 16753717142774493648678609595606.jpg

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my bulkheads installed, I did have to trim the plastic on the 2 drains a little. Are threaded (standard) bulkheads ok, or should I use slip/slip for the drains? Anybody have a link or name of setup for how I should set up the drains? One is primary and one is emergency right?

Attachments

• 20230202_151547.jpg
    20230202_151547.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230202_151641.jpg
    20230202_151641.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 55

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my bulkheads installed, I did have to trim the plastic on the 2 drains a little. Are threaded (standard) bulkheads ok, or should I use slip/slip for the drains? Anybody have a link or name of setup for how I should set up the drains? One is primary and one is emergency right?

That is how I'm going to set mine up. The primary I will cut about an inch lower than the emergency. Emergency will line up with the bottom of the Weir.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how I'm going to set mine up. The primary I will cut about an inch lower than the emergency. Emergency will line up with the bottom of the Weir.
You might want to not glue up anything inside the overflow box if you ordered a pedestal sum. There is a little surprise coming.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only stuff I saw on amazon was over $20. I think ebay has it cheaper tho.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great guys! I'll assemble the tank and sump as soon as the sump is delivered, and I'll also probably paint the back of my tank black.
If you are going to paint, as mentioned above use krylon fusion. Also gently scuff the surface to be painted with 600 grit or use a Scotch Brite style pot scrubber. Then be sure to clean the surface of any dust.

MeauxJeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought this kit that someone posted a link to earlier in the thread.
Lot of cool stuff on that website.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this kit that someone posted a link to earlier in the thread.
Lot of cool stuff on that website.

Thank you, I will check it out.

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in a bit of a bind and looking to see what others think. I ordered some bulkheads from Lifegard and they arrived today. Went to fit them and they are off by a mile so started checking the dimensions. The hole size in the aquarium is 1 1/8" and the Bulk head fittings are 1 1/4" so not even tight just outright don't fit. I checked the Lifegard website and all of their 1/2" bulkheads have a listed size of 1 1/4" for drilled hole size.

My options, as I see them, is to eat the cost of these bulkheads and order new ones or try to modify the hole.

I have considered trying to take a hole saw and drill the holes bigger but am not sure if this is advisable. I have also considered using my router to try to enlarge the holes. Not sure if anyone has more experience cutting acrylic that can advise on best practices.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in a bit of a bind and looking to see what others think. I ordered some bulkheads from Lifegard and they arrived today. Went to fit them and they are off by a mile so started checking the dimensions. The hole size in the aquarium is 1 1/8" and the Bulk head fittings are 1 1/4" so not even tight just outright don't fit. I checked the Lifegard website and all of their 1/2" bulkheads have a listed size of 1 1/4" for drilled hole size.

My options, as I see them, is to eat the cost of these bulkheads and order new ones or try to modify the hole.

I have considered trying to take a hole saw and drill the holes bigger but am not sure if this is advisable. I have also considered using my router to try to enlarge the holes. Not sure if anyone has more experience cutting acrylic that can advise on best practices.
I had this same issue, but I attributed it to variance in the bulkheads, not the holes. Two bulkheads fit were super tight (like temporarily bent the threads on the way through and were a major struggle to get out safely) and so I was concerned. But after bonding everything, next day the 3rd bulkhead fit through the first hole easily, and the original 2 fit through different holes with the same difficulty. Just don't plan on taking them back out once you get them in :)

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I actually took a piece of sandpaper and barely scraped the holes because it was a really tight fit

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same issue, but I attributed it to variance in the bulkheads, not the holes. Two bulkheads fit were super tight (like temporarily bent the threads on the way through and were a major struggle to get out safely) and so I was concerned. But after bonding everything, next day the 3rd bulkhead fit through the first hole easily, and the original 2 fit through different holes with the same difficulty. Just don't plan on taking them back out once you get them in :)
I will look into this on Monday. We use several brands of bulkheads including lifeguard. No idea what is going on here but it will get sorted out. Worst case, you get new kits.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look into this on Monday. We use several brands of bulkheads including lifeguard. No idea what is going on here but it will get sorted out. Worst case, you get new kits.
It's all sorted in my mind - I got 3 bulkheads fit through 3 holes and all built and watertight so I'm happy! They were all still uncomfortably tight even after optimizing, so I would consider increasing hole diameter by 1/8" to account for threads. So they're still snug but but not feeling like I'm trying to tap with a bulkhead :)

Also side note, IDK if this matters to anyone else but the shipping on the non-drilled version of this (which I'm getting to use as sump) was messed up on the website but is now working (aka surprisingly cheap). Can't wait for it to get in so I can finally finish up the plumbing!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back