Terrible Algae Outbreak - Any suggestions?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove as much of the algae as you can by hand. It must be pulling a lot of nutrients from the water and your nitrate is still pretty high, so I'd work on bringing that down ASAP (probably cut back on feeding and maybe try something like Brightwell Xport NO3 cubes). Maybe add a couple of urchins to your CUC (snails/crabs won't do much for that volume of algae). Also you could cut back on your lighting schedule (10 yous casn be a lot).

c-horse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try adding some sulfur prill in a meshed bag and add it to your sump. This is essential a sulfur denitrator without the hassle of fiddling with flow rate. I did this and my nitrate went from 20 ppm to around 0 ppm in one week. I took the sulfur from my denitrator so it was seeded before hand, with new sulfur prills it may take you more time to see results.

OP
OP
Christopher Poore

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's definitely nutrients coming from somewhere with that much algae. Bad source water maybe or bad rodi filters. 4 day black out would def help kill that algae but all that dying algae will prob cause a nutrient spike. A post blackout water change would be a must.

At the moment I'm forced to use LFS water. I cant seem to find any close stores that have 0 TDS..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back