Terror clown

Dave328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys, I have a yellow clown that has terrorized and killed anything I've put in the tank. Any suggestions on something that can deal with him? Also have a domino damsel and they get along fine

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try an acclimation box for the existing clown, it may give a new fish time to acclimate. If this is a smaller tank you may have to rehome the clown. The aggression will probably only get worse as the clown ages.
Look for other fish with strong personalities like a Purple Dottyback.

OP
OP
D

Dave328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try an acclimation box for the existing clown, it may give a new fish time to acclimate. If this is a smaller tank you may have to rehome the clown. The aggression will probably only get worse as the clown ages.
Look for other fish with strong personalities like a Purple Dottyback.
Already tried the purple dottyback, 2 says he was gone

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one Maroon in a 30 gal. After the male died that female allowed nothing in the tank. Inverts, fish she killed everything.
Had to rehome her.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not surprised. They can be monsters

clown bite.png

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rent a shark for a day.

You have to decide whether to put up with him or rehome him. From my experience, they don’t turn back to being passive once they’re established and get territorial. Re-scaping the rockwork didn’t work for me either.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand when you have an aggressive fish, you only have a couple options.

Rehome.

Stock bigger, meaner fish to put it in its place. May result in the clowns death.

Acclimation box, while the new arrivals are setting up territory, keep the clown separate. May not work.

Immediately prior to adding new inhabitants, rearrange the entire tank, will force the clown to establish new territory alongside the new fish. Also may not work.

Get the clown a partner, and keep it a clown only tank.

OP
OP
D

Dave328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand when you have an aggressive fish, you only have a couple options.

Rehome.

Stock bigger, meaner fish to put it in its place. May result in the clowns death.

Acclimation box, while the new arrivals are setting up territory, keep the clown separate. May not work.

Immediately prior to adding new inhabitants, rearrange the entire tank, will force the clown to establish new territory alongside the new fish. Also may not work.

Get the clown a partner, and keep it a clown only tank.
Thanks for the advice

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back