Terry's 400 Gallon Upgrade

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 180 Peninsula build thread going for two years, but I think at this point I am due for a new thread in the Large tank forum:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/terrys-180-sps-peninsula-upgrade.218181/

I picked up a used Miracles 420 gallon reef ready aquarium and moved it into the basement this weekend, with the help of 10 people:

BAT2.jpg

As it sat on a (very rusty) steel stand.
BAT.jpg

The rust had me concerned about a potential leak, but it looks like the water damage was on the underside of the plywood the tank was sitting on, so I am wondering about splash from the sump or something.

I built the stand out of 2x6s:

Stand 1.jpg

and primed it:

Stand 2.jpg

The tank will be In-Wall separating my fish room from the living area in our soon-to-be finished basement:

IMG_20171001_110856.jpg

IMG_20171001_110903.jpg

With the help of ten people, it wasn't "That Bad" getting it downstairs. I have an outdoor walkout with an 8' staircase that we came down.

There is a crack in the eurobrace on the top, front of the tank. I am wondering if the glass needs to be replaced. I am thinking I might be able to "Wrap" the top of the tank in doubled up 2x4s when we finish the wall? I am curious what people think. I contacted Miracles to ask.

Here is a walk through of my tank and fish room:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Terry...this is going to be great to watch come together.

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. It is going to be a slow process. I removed the eurobrace piece from the front of the tank, as it was cracked. As I was removing it, I also almost removed my left index finger. Because I am an idiot and I wasn't wearing gloves, when the glass cracked in my hand.

I have a new piece of glass on order. Once that is in, I can start getting this thing plumbed up and ready for water.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully no cuts!
Thanks guys. It is going to be a slow process. I removed the eurobrace piece from the front of the tank, as it was cracked. As I was removing it, I also almost removed my left index finger. Because I am an idiot and I wasn't wearing gloves, when the glass cracked in my hand.

I have a new piece of glass on order. Once that is in, I can start getting this thing plumbed up and ready for water.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. Looking forward to seeing it come together :)

There is a crack in the eurobrace on the top, front of the tank. I am wondering if the glass needs to be replaced. I am thinking I might be able to "Wrap" the top of the tank in doubled up 2x4s when we finish the wall?

Not enough info to really form an opinion... but I'd want to fix it right... I'd want to be pretty darned sure I wasn't going to have 400 gallons of water in my basement floor. Perhaps you could laminate another piece of glass to the one that's cracked?

Sorry, missed your later comment that you'd removed the cracked piece. Probably the best move, really.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Terry,

Love your 180 Peninsula build! Are you planning on this being an upgrade and transitioning downstairs or is this supplemental? I assume its going to be an additional tank? I'm assuming once the filtration is tied together you'll need to re-do a bit of the plumbing and the returns/skimmer?

Everytime I think about getting a larger aquarium it's always under the assumption I will be migrating equipment or at least selling part of it to absorb costs on the new build. I'm interested to see how your build plays out.

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided not to play around and just remove the cracked piece. As I was removing it, it cracked in my hand and cut my finger pretty bad. It is 100% my fault, should have had gloves on.

The plan is to plumb this tank into the 180. The return pump is more than enough for both tanks (Reeflo Hammerhead/Barracuda hybrid) I currently have it dialed back about halfway.

I am going to have to upgrade the skimmer and change some plumbing, but aside from that, not much else needs to change.

Dropped

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea that could have been worse for sure! And this tank is going to be for the non reef safe fish?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back