Test if it is possible to explain the know ORP reduction when adding H2O2 into a saltwater

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also got and still get some remarks that ORP drops after water changes with Tropic Marin salt. I always suspected this to be a reaction to increased bacterial activity which I ascribed to the addition of fresh trace elements.

ORP drops after water changes with many/most salt mixes. It is also very low in the new salt water.

I always attributed this to the use of the reduced forms of metals in the salt mix because they are more soluble, such as iron Fe++ vs Fe+++.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New electrode - it is calibrated but shows around 550 mV - no dip to talk about Red addition of 5 ml H2O2 at 19.30. It is 5 cm apart from the old electrode. Can´t combine the charts because a bug in the GHL chart program (will not use the same y-axel

1628793874724.png

Old electrode red 10:30 addition of 5 ml H2O2

NOTE - the axes are different New electrode - 552-588. Old Electrode - 100 - 400 mV

1628794120663.png

Huge impact

In MY case - it seems that Hans Werner is on the right track. The good thing with this is that I can let this electrode be in my tank for a while and redo the addition after one week/ two weeks and so on. If it is a biofilm question - the new electrode should act as my old after a while. We test tomorrow again :p

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New electrode - it is calibrated but shows around 550 mV - no dip to talk about Red addition of 5 ml H2O2 at 19.30. It is 5 cm apart from the old electrode. Can´t combine the charts because a bug in the GHL chart program (will not use the same y-axel

1628793874724.png

Old electrode red 10:30 addition of 5 ml H2O2

NOTE - the saxes are different New electrode - 552-588. Old Electrode - 100 - 400 mV

1628794120663.png

Huge impact

In MY case - it seems that Hans Werner is on the right track. The good thing with this is that I can let this electrode be in my tank for a while and redo the addition after one week/ two weeks and so on. If it is a biofilm question - the new electrode should act as my old after a while. We test tomorrow again :p

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse: What if you soaked the "old" electrode on H2O2 for a period of time...Clean it off and compare the results to the performance of the old probe before soaking...Just a wild and crazy thought.o_O

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced the idea that Hans Werner suggested that it is increased O2 from the peroxide that causes the biofilm to react in a way that lowers ORP under the biofilm. That explanation lacks plausible mechanistic details, and doesn't seem that likely to me. Possible, but not likely, IMO.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it has stabilise itself - and I get the same result (if I get it) from both electrodes - I will clean the old and sterilize it with 45 % ethanol. But before that - I will change ports between the old and new electrode and see if it differ in result. This have to be done well and properly. I must - as far as possible - be able to exclude incorrect use and / or incorrect equipment - otherwise there is no chance to convince anyone.

This experiment have not gone that way I expected.

Sincerely Lasse

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced the idea that Hans Werner suggested that it is increased O2 from the peroxide that causes the biofilm to react in a way that lowers ORP under the biofilm.
One clue against oxidation of organics by H2O2 as the cause might be the rate of the observed change in the ORP measure.
Analogy (that may or may not apply): when I measured ORP while chlorinating samples with bleach, responses due to chlorinating ammonia or added metals was very fast - seconds. The response to organics (proteins) was much slower - minutes.

I think the times I've seen people post their ORP drops from peroxide it's nearly instant.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one of those am I supposed to be suspicious of? :)
The new acts rather weird - high reading and very unstable. But this is the way it is normally when I change an redox electrode. It will normally take a week or two before it stabilize itself. This indicate either that it will take a long period before internal fluids and external fluid have stabilize the whole thing or - that a biofilm must be build up first and that you measure the redox potential below the biofilm as suggested. We will see - I have more electrodes :D

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switch the redox port (calibrated too) and I did a 5 ml dose this morning - same result as last evening - huge difference with the old - nearly no difference at all with the new (new port)

Sincerely Lasse

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced the idea that Hans Werner suggested that it is increased O2 from the peroxide that causes the biofilm to react in a way that lowers ORP under the biofilm.
Maybe not, maybe another reason, but I think it is worth to check for biofilm effects. :)

The biofilm may also enrich trace metals, especially in the alginate matrix etc., a lot of things we can only speculate about at the moment. But not always things are straightforward, sometimes they are a bit ... complex. ;)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New electrode - very unstable as you can see Red = addition of 5 ml H2O2. Sample period 1 min

1628847924497.png

New electrode Red = addition of 5 ml H2O2. Sample period 5 min. Of some reason did the samplecollection do a 30 minutes jump exactly when I dose - it looks like the reaction is happen before the dose - but it was in reality 1 minute after the dose

1628847825427.png

Sincerely Lasse

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it has stabilise itself - and I get the same result (if I get it) from both electrodes - I will clean the old and sterilize it with 45 % ethanol. But before that - I will change ports between the old and new electrode and see if it differ in result. This have to be done well and properly. I must - as far as possible - be able to exclude incorrect use and / or incorrect equipment - otherwise there is no chance to convince anyone.

This experiment have not gone that way I expected.

Sincerely Lasse
I know the feeling!...Some of my experiments don't come anywhere near my expectations...It is confusing!!...When I am confused I know I am about to learn something....I guess that is why they call them "experiments":oops:

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is about orp experimenting but will H202 make your tank crash? what is tank crash? I'm dealing with red bacteria cryno, dosing at night 4ml for 32 gallons and a kessil 360x set to all blue all the time at 5-15% intensity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is about orp experimenting but will H202 make your tank crash? what is tank crash? I'm dealing with red bacteria cryno, dosing at night 4ml for 32 gallons and a kessil 360x set to all blue all the time at 5-15% intensity.

Some folks dose it. Too much will certainly crash a tank. I'd search on cyanobacteria and hydrogen peroxide to see how much folks use and when and why.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back