Test kit expiry date

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently in the proccess of setting up my tank and of course i need to buy some test kits. I decided to check out a local website similar to Facebook marketplace and found a guy selling a slightly used API MASTER saltwater test kit (ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) for a quarter of the original price. I am tempted to buy it but i am afraid that the test kits have expired. He bought them a year ago and used them a few times only. On the box, it says the expiry date is in 2022. Should I go ahead and buy it? Or would it be expired and give me wrong results? Thanks.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like expiration date should be safe, BUT... API would be my last choice for test kits (even if it was free).

Marine Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently in the proccess of setting up my tank and of course i need to buy some test kits. I decided to check out a local website similar to Facebook marketplace and found a guy selling a slightly used API MASTER saltwater test kit (ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) for a quarter of the original price. I am tempted to buy it but i am afraid that the test kits have expired. He bought them a year ago and used them a few times only. On the box, it says the expiry date is in 2022. Should I go ahead and buy it? Or would it be expired and give me wrong results? Thanks.
Don't buy it. And I would also not recommend an API test kit because they are not very accurate. And if you are looking for something cheap and accurate I recommend salifert test kits.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like expiration date should be safe, BUT... API would be my last choice for test kits (even if it was free).
Don't buy it. And I would also not recommend an API test kit because they are not very accurate. And if you are looking for something cheap and accurate I recommend salifert test kits.
Don't buy API. Might be alright to get you through cycling testing but its trash after the first month.
Oh wow is API really that bad? Im torn between salifert and API.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow is API really that bad? Im torn between salifert and API.
API's are messy to use and also does not provide as precise reading as other brands mentioned in this thread. Do urself a favor and get the Salifert, won't regret it.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API's are messy to use and also does not provide as precise reading as other brands mentioned in this thread. Do urself a favor and get the Salifert, won't regret it.
Yes API is that bad.

They are alright for a quick glance to see whats going on, but they are in no way anywhere near accurate in SW.

Salifert will never steer you wrong.
Alright then, saliifert it is. I think im going to buy the nitrate and phosphate ones only for now. Do you think that is okay? I dont see the point in buying ammonia and nitrite to use it a couple of times and then put it away after the cycle.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then, saliifert it is. I think im going to buy the nitrate and phosphate ones only for now. Do you think that is okay? I dont see the point in buying ammonia and nitrite to use it a couple of times and then put it away after the cycle.
Not a bad idea at all. Might be good long term to have an ammonia test kit just incase you need to rule out an issue or cause of death. I havn't touched mine since cycling though.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan, but you'll eventually want to test Phosphate and Alkalinity (I'd give serious consideration to Hanna Checkers for those tests). Also a lot of folks prefer Nyos for Nitrate testing (just putting it out there for consideration...) probably what I'm going to use when I run out of reagents for my red sea test kit.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan, but you'll eventually want to test Phosphate and Alkalinity (I'd give serious consideration to Hanna Checkers for those tests). Also a lot of folks prefer Nyos for Nitrate testing (just putting it out there for consideration...) probably what I'm going to use when I run out of reagents for my red sea test kit.
Those hanna checkers are really attractive. they look so simple and easy to use but they do come with a hefty price, unfortunately. I will start off with nitrate and phosphate and then eventually get Alk, Cal, and mag kits.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the Hanna's are expensive, ease of use, not having to compare color, or watch for a color change, and repeatability come at a price.

Salifert ALK = $17.00 @ 100 tests
Hanna ALK = $50.00 @ 25 tests + 8.00 every 25 tests. = $75.00 @ 100 tests initially. After the initial checker cost, for 100 tests it would cost $32.00 in reagent.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back