Test kits

Bobothegreat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I attempted to use the search function but was getting an error. What type of test kits do you recommend? Of course that not out there on price. I will have t order off amazon or eBay most likely since I am in japan for the next 3 years.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert but done a quick search for you. It looks like Hanna for PO4 and Alk is pretty popular. Hanna is on my list to get after seeing it in action. Red Sea and Salifert are pretty popular. I use the Red Sea.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I attempted to use the search function but was getting an error. What type of test kits do you recommend? Of course that not out there on price. I will have t order off amazon or eBay most likely since I am in japan for the next 3 years.
For ammonia and nitrite I like API just because it is easy and low cost. Their Nitrate kit isn't too bad, either, unless your nitrates are very low.

For phosphates I prefer the Hanna ULR phosphorus tester.

For Alk, Calc and Mag I don't see a big difference between the salifert and Redsea. I probably prefer the Salifert but don't have strong feelings one way or the other.

If you QT in copper, the Hanna high range copper tester is the only way to go.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ammonia and nitrite I like API just because it is easy and low cost. Their Nitrate kit isn't too bad, either, unless your nitrates are very low.

For phosphates I prefer the Hanna ULR phosphorus tester.

For Alk, Calc and Mag I don't see a big difference between the salifert and Redsea. I probably prefer the Salifert but don't have strong feelings one way or the other.

If you QT in copper, the Hanna high range copper tester is the only way to go.
Thanks for mentioning API, I forgot we have that one as well for the same reason you mentioned.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off:
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!!

These are the kits that I use:
Cal = API or Salifert
Alk = Hanna Alk Checker (API will get the job done too)
Mag = Salifert
Nitrates = Salifert
Phosphates = Hanna ULR Checker, but maybe switching to Elos in the future

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea kit for me. I am not a fan of API due to their nitrate kit being flaky (ie can't tell much difference between 10-20, 40-80 on the color chart), their vial caps also have a tendency to leak and the vials themselves are long and skinny making them a pain to clean. Here is a vid for the Red Sea kit:

OP
OP
Bobothegreat

Bobothegreat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I am going to go with Red Sea looks like it comes with everything I need

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ELOS test kits are IMO better than Red Sea

I use Hanna, Aquaforest, and ELOS test kits.

Hanna is great for the reason that there are no colors just numbers.;)

I have found the Aquaforest and ELOS are just as good as the Hanna test.

Here is something I put together Testing the Big Three

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the ones that I am currently using and works for me:

Phosphate - Hanna (I can’t stand the color matching on other brands)
Alk, Calcium and Nitrate- Salifert
Mag- Aquaforest (Salifert takes a little longer to process)

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like there are various brands and kits out there, some I have never heard of and they are probably all great kits to the people using them. I think the best test kit is the one that work for you. (sounds like the old Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge and which is best point of view) If you find a kit that works for you and your comfortable with the use and are consistent with your testing and are confident in the results.....well that's the best kit.

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea kits are great. Easy to read, and you can buy reagent replacements that are fairly cheap.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer Salifert and Elos (I would also trust Hanna). I found this article to be helpful - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...s-salifert-api-hanna-triton-awt.234660/page-3

API alkalinity read consistently off, while Elos and Salifert (for alk) were pretty much the same (Salifert is easier to read by a significant margin, which I really like, and is a little more precise. Elos is faster and simpler).

I've heard Red Sea's Magnesium runs significantly higher than other test kits.

If I had to pick one brand - Salifert. Runner up - Elos. I haven't tried Hanna.

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer Salifert and Elos (I would also trust Hanna). I found this article to be helpful - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...s-salifert-api-hanna-triton-awt.234660/page-3

API alkalinity read consistently off, while Elos and Salifert (for alk) were pretty much the same (Salifert is easier to read by a significant margin, which I really like, and is a little more precise. Elos is faster and simpler).

I've heard Red Sea's Magnesium runs significantly higher than other test kits.

If I had to pick one brand - Salifert. Runner up - Elos. I haven't tried Hanna.
It’s true, Red Sea magnesium kit does run pretty high. But at this point I don’t test Mg very often

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm embarrassed... I didn't even know ELOS made test kits. I've always associated ELOS as top end aquarium builders.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For nitrate, I use Red Sea Pro. I run a pretty low nutrient level and Red Sea is good to a .25 ppm. If you are not going that low, Salifert is good.

For phosphate, the only test I recommend is Hanna ULR. None of the others is sensitive enough.

Calcium .... Red Sea, Salifert or even API.

Alkalinity .... Red Sea, Salifert or Hanna.

Magnesium... I do not get a consistent result with Red Sea so go Salifert.

For.ammonia and nitrite .... Red Sea, Salifert or API. API does tend to give a low ammonia reading when it is actually 0.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back