Test kits ?

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
without boring you to death, I've pretty thoroughly tested all the most popular kits. with multiple tanks and maintenance accounts, I probably burn through 5x as many kits as the average reefkeeper. I'll always trust these to be the most accurate and precise:

Cal, Alk, Mag & K- Salifert
NO3/PO4- Red sea pro
Specific gravity- Tropic Marin precision glass hydrometer
pH- calibrated dual junction probe. Trust nothing else. test kits are all horrible
nitrite- never tested it
ammonia- api on backup for qt. haven't tested a reef for ammonia in 15 years

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity - Hanna
Ammonia - don't test anymore
Nitrite - don't test anymore
Nitrate - Red Sea Pro
Calcium - Red Sea Pro
Ph - Hanna handheld probe
Phosphate - Hanna ULR
Magnesium - Red Sea Pro or Salifert

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Strange, but on the forum I did not find anyone who would do tests with tests from Tropic Marine.
Red Sea, Salifert, Nyos are available in Israel, but Tropic Marine is most appreciated for its accuracy. Almost all of the advanced reefers I know use tests from TM.
I check the phosphates with a Hanna calorimeter, everything else, including the salinity of the Tropic Marine.

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Strange, but on the forum I did not find anyone who would do tests with tests from Tropic Marine.
Red Sea, Salifert, Nyos are available in Israel, but Tropic Marine is most appreciated for its accuracy. Almost all of the advanced reefers I know use tests from TM.
I check the phosphates with a Hanna calorimeter, everything else, including the salinity of the Tropic Marine.
Their cal/mag kit is great but boy you sure as hell must have awesome eyesight to be able to see the color change.

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their cal/mag kit is great but boy you sure as hell must have awesome eyesight to be able to see the color change.
Thank you. Although I'm 60, I still don't wear glasses.
It seems to me that they have slightly changed the formula for the calcium / magnesium test. Before. in fact, there were difficulties with the color. The last 2 years the tests have changed for the better, now no problem.
They also added an accurate potassium test 2 years ago.

ratkomkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity, Salinity and Phospate i use Hanna
Nitrate, Magnesium & Calcium i use Salifert (sometimes I test mag and calc not always)
And I have never tested ph. I'm looking for some recommendations as well

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
BRS has videos comparing a lot of the main tests. I am currently cycling my tank using the API tests (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH), which are good enough for me for the cycle. Based on the BRS videos I have bought Hanna Alk and ULR Phosphate, Red Sea Calcium Pro and Aqua Forest Magnesium, but I haven't used them yet. I have used Salifert in the past and would use them again. I already have the DD Refractometer for Salinity.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back