Test kits

jay1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'm new to reef tanks, I have a question that I'm hoping sombody could advise me on please. So I am into day 8 of my fishless DR tims cycle using the one and only and ammonium chloride, since day 2 of testing my parameters iv been using the salifert nh3 test kit and the JBL combiset marin, and eveytime I test my ammonia levels the salifer kit says I have 1.5ppm where as the JBL says I have 0.5ppm and I am confused what to belive, my nitrite level started at 0.2ppm and today is on 1.0ppm.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of JBL. I'd trust salifert. If unsure have your local fish store test the water for you to be sure. Also when dosing anything, keep in mind the displacement of the rocks and sand. For example a 20g tank may only have 15g of water.

OP
OP
J

jay1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thank you for the reply, I have taken into consideration the rock and sand used and been dosing the tank Accordingly, I just couldn't get my head round the 2 different readings.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thank you for the reply, I have taken into consideration the rock and sand used and been dosing the tank Accordingly, I just couldn't get my head round the 2 different readings.
As said I've never heard of your other kits in the 6 years or so I've been at this now. Salifert, red sea and Hanna are the top recommended tests.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R BTW. Great community here, plenty of helpful people.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back