Test results not matching up

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Well unless they went backwards in their quest for perfection it is very accurate.

MindStream vs $10K Lab Equipment
Perhaps, but they don't stand by that in their specs, they only mention precision, not accuracy. They may have gotten one or more to be that accurate but I think they should claim that in the specs if they stand by those claims, that's all. Comparisons to true readings are meaningless if they can't back it up with actual specs. Trident is similar, precision not accuracy. They are no where close to being the same meanings. Accuracy specs are what you want to see.

OP
T

TARHEEL78

View Badges
Reaction score
Precision does not equal accuracy. I have not seen specs on accuracy from Mindstream. It can be very precise from reading to reading but be no where close to actual readings. Without an accuracy spec we are only speculating how close the readings are expected to be to actual.

Mine isn't even precise, I have random big jumps here and there. Sometimes up and sometimes down.
Have ever got back with anybody to find out what is going on.
Haven't heard back from anyone yet and I've called multiple times with no answer. Either Ryan is avoiding me deliberately, he is on vacation(which shouldn't be the case) or they have everyone working to get orders out(doubtful).

robbyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Mine isn't even precise, I have random big jumps here and there. Sometimes up and sometimes down.

Haven't heard back from anyone yet and I've called multiple times with no answer. Either Ryan is avoiding me deliberately, he is on vacation(which shouldn't be the case) or they have everyone working to get orders out(doubtful).
Isnt Ryan the one who is on Paternity leave for the next few days?

robbyg

View Badges
Reaction score
This is the type of concern I have...a number that looks abnormal but actually is just fine in your tank...then the "treatment" to correct that number throws off the balance in your ecosystem. Or "noise" in the system that is misinterpreted as a problem.
This is exactly why I have no immediate interest in auto dosing by any of these systems.
As you stated you can have abnormal numbers for some reason and the thing starts chasing it's tail trying to fix a problem that does not exist! Then you have other possibilities like a nice big dead fish behind the rock work just pulling down your pH and exhausting your Alk. An automatic system will just keep dosing to compensate unless it starts looking at Ammonia and factoring that in. The problem is that the Ammonia going up and pH dropping might not be due to a dead fish but a case of over feeding or something else. IMHO it just gets way too complicated for the existing systems and is much better left to the Aquarium owner to eye ball the tank and use his grey matter before changing anything.

At the rate things are going I figure that in about four to five more years we will get there and have systems that have redundancy testing and maybe even something like a Gen3 Jetson Nano doing visual AI on the tank and keeping track of the livestock's health. I still want the MS to be linkable to a controller but I doubt I will feel comfortable with Auto Dosing changes unless I have to leave the tank unattended for a several days and have no other choice.

robbyg

View Badges
Reaction score
I wouldn't know, how exactly do you guys know? Was it posted in another thread or something?
Yeah somewhere on this forum during one of the exchanges. I think you better talk to Alex and have him handle it because nobody has any idea when Ryan will be back.

Update, here it is:
I also spoke with them today. Ryan was out last week for paternity leave and they were not able to keep up with customer communications.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
I appreciate the honesty of your comments, thank you!

Here's an interesting comparison from Melev, some parameters close to each other, Alk a bit of an outlier.

Capture.PNG
That’s weird because every mindstream screen shot I’ve seen on R2R shows an extremely low alk number. Melev has one of the beta versions I think and his is really high.

I don’t think I’d call the mindstream salinity reading terribly close. You can throw away the apex fusion number, everyone knows their probe is mostly useless unless you calibrated it this morning. So it’s manual test of about 33 ppt vs 35.3 on the mindstream.

It’s weird too because when melev did his infomercial for mindstream, I don’t remember the alk reading being that high on his screen grabs and he raved about how great it performed. I might go back and look if I have time today.

robbyg

View Badges
Reaction score
I appreciate the honesty of your comments, thank you!

Here's an interesting comparison from Melev, some parameters close to each other, Alk a bit of an outlier.

Capture.PNG
I don't know where you got that from but I just went to Melev's Facebook page for Mindstream data and this is what popped up on the first page as Oct 4th 2019. I would say that all those readings are extreamly close except for the Apex salinity probe which he said has not been calibrated today :)

IMG_4705.PNG

IMG_4706.PNG

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't know where you got that from but I just went to Melev's Facebook page for Mindstream data and this is what popped up on the first page as Oct 4th 2019.
From his FB page, 10/06/19. Interesting that the measurements changed from 10/04 to 10/06 but I don't know what he did to the tank between those dates. Edit to add - it looks like maybe no changes to tank based on the Trident measurements holding steady between the two days?

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the Red Sea magnesium test is notorious for reading high. I think this is from the inaccuracy in measuring 2 ml with the provided syringe since using a more accurate syringe seems to give me lower readings.

My Red Sea and Hanna alkalinity tests also vary by a considerable amount (~1dkh). I've just decided that the actual value doesn't really matter compared to keeping the parameter stable. Most of your test kits are reading within the values that people find successful, so it's probably best to just choose one and forget about how close it is to the true value.

OLDREEFER44

View Badges
Reaction score
ATI Agree as one of the surprises coming from owning a MS was the fluctuations of parameters. However, within reason, I far more concerned with consistency than any specific target.

robbyg

View Badges
Reaction score
ATI Agree as one of the surprises coming from owning a MS was the fluctuations of parameters. However, within reason, I far more concerned with consistency than any specific target.
You picked the best of the lot, although I came away from that video with a greater appreciation that any true accuracy is probably elusive when it comes to testing aquarium water. Most likely a case of too many similar reactive compounds in the SW soup that just make it impossible in some circumstances to prevent one compound from messing with the test results of another.

Will you be participating in Secret Santa 2019?

• Yep! Count me in! (Be sure to register in the thread)

Votes: 141 61.3%
  • Not this year

Votes: 74 32.2%
  • I hope to, but I'm not located in the USA (Please be sure to PM Santa Claus about this issue)

Votes: 15 6.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors