Testing a different type of LED lighting, the Orphek Atlantik V4 | BRStv Investigates

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for another great video guys. Good to see that Orphek is still improving their light. I was pretty supprised to see that the Orphek had very similar results when compared to the ATI.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan, you made some strong comments about UL listing in the BB video. This is somewhat hypocritical.

Rhetorically speaking, if the orphek v4 sold for $150 would you be saying the same thing?

Despite the more than adequate heak sink on this fixture, the "license plate" heat sink has been proven to be adequate enough by many reefers.

Anyway, back to some real questions. I might have missed this but whats the total power on the V4 and does it have fans?

I apologize, that probably wasn't as clear as it could have been. The only reason it came up in the BB video is because I believe that was the only light we have ever tested that doesn't have independent quality certifications on the power supplies. I now understand UL is a very unpopular topic but it is responsible to share that type of thing and If I had to do it over again I would still feel the need to do that. I don't mention the existence of these certifications on every other light or power supply we test because it is the norm to have them and not a real benefit when looking at a majority of lights sold through standard channels. I attached a pic I just took of the Orphek's ballast and the certs which do include UL's RU mark for registered components and clearly labeled for use in damp or wet locations. That said I really hope this doesn't deteriorate into another UL thread. Independent quality assurances either matter or they don't, it's up the individual.

End of the day we are using these lights to grow corals and performance data to that goal is 100x more useful than UL discussion :)

ps.jpg

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mean wells are basically the best power supplies you can buy. AND if it dies you can buy another one without buying a whole new light. Agree about the antenna, not a fan of the external ones. At least put it on the back so you can hide it from one side of the tank.

I love the superior coverage and but really want to see them add Apex support.

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan, you made some strong comments about UL listing in the BB video. This is somewhat hypocritical.

Rhetorically speaking, if the orphek v4 sold for $150 would you be saying the same thing?

Despite the more than adequate heak sink on this fixture, the "license plate" heat sink has been proven to be adequate enough by many reefers.

Anyway, back to some real questions. I might have missed this but whats the total power on the V4 and does it have fans?
It’s listed at 235 watts at full power and has 4 fans. Not sure why one would want to compare these fixtures to black boxes? As far as safety goes, these are listed as having European and Japanese equivalents to UL Certification. The drivers used are best in class and cost close to 60 dollars alone- compared to the 5 dollar point of sale used in most BBs.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize, that probably wasn't as clear as it could have been. The only reason it came up in the BB video is because I believe that was the only light we have ever tested that doesn't have independent quality certifications on the power supplies. I now understand UL is a very unpopular topic but it is responsible to share that type of thing and If I had to do it over again I would still feel the need to do that. I don't mention the existence of these certifications on every other light or power supply we test because it is the norm to have them and not a real benefit when looking at a majority of lights sold through standard channels. I attached a pic I just took of the Orphek's ballast and the certs which do include UL's RU mark for registered components and clearly labeled for use in damp or wet locations. That said I really hope this doesn't deteriorate into another UL thread. Independent quality assurances either matter or they don't, it's up the individual.

End of the day we are using these lights to grow corals and performance data to that goal is 100x more useful than UL discussion :)

ps.jpg
Yes, I'm a big fan of the meanwell drivers. I just had to give you.. stuff.. ;Joyful If you could though, I put in an entry to win this light for free, maybe multiply my chances? LOL j/k ;Shamefullyembarrased Thanks for the review. I've always wanted one of these units.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why one would want to compare these fixtures to black boxes?
LOL! Welcome to R2R.. People compared the BB to a radion G4 so...
As far as safety goes, these are listed as having European and Japanese equivalents to UL Certification. The drivers used are best in class and cost close to 60 dollars alone- compared to the 5 dollar point of sale used in most BBs.
Not arguing that at all.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just double checked and it consumes 220 watts with all channels on max. I quick took a shot of the four fans as well :)

fans.jpg

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at it again @Ryanbrs i just asked you about this days ago. Great video i think we have a new king of leds imo. Saving my pennies for this one! This light will deffinatly push the other manufacturers to come up with more cost effective designs.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be the option that those clamoring for and LED replacement for T5 have been waiting for. Especially since the Phillips Coralcare seems to be stuck on the other side of the pond. I agree with @RobertP about that antenna but feel it should be internal like every other fixture. I don't feel it's the best option out there for everyone, however it is an option for those T5 guys waiting to switch.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just double checked and it consumes 220 watts with all channels on max. I quick took a shot of the four fans as well :)

fans.jpg
Good to see it's only 220w rather than the 360w that used to be stated on your website.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd would like to note an error I made when shooting the video. I said there were 78 LED's when in fact there are 78 dual chip LED's meaning a 156 total LED's . I think $5.79 is less than half the cost per LED of almost all the popular retail lights.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be the option that those clamoring for and LED replacement for T5 have been waiting for. Especially since the Phillips Coralcare seems to be stuck on the other side of the pond. I agree with @RobertP about that antenna but feel it should be internal like every other fixture. I don't feel it's the best option out there for everyone, however it is an option for those T5 guys waiting to switch.

I love that coral care and I am fairly certain it would be my favorite but I am also almost 100% certain they are not going to develop a version for the US at this point. It was only economical when there were almost no changes to an existing product they sell for other uses.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan, I'm interested in the efficiency of the Orphek as it compares to the XR30 running the AB+. Any idea what the Radion pulls when running AB+?

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work, very interesting results.

Surely AI Hydra needs a test? Wouldn't mind seeing the Illumagic Style (6 pucks) get a go too.

HippieSmell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I'd rather not get lost down that rabbit hole but it does use an external Meanwell driver which is amongst the best out there for this application. We did take it apart and examine it, there is a legit heatsink and the unit weights 17 points. I think there are some approach similarities to cheaper options there but the performance data was light years different on almost every important front.
It is a great light. I only wish you carried Orphek when I bought the V3's a couple years ago.

I had a dud LED when mine arrived which turned out to be a bad solder joint but was easily repaired by myself. While repairing, I noticed the PCB bear resemblance to some black box units, but the performance and custom diodes Orphek developed put these lights on a different level.

The app is OK, but I find modifying the lighting schedule clunky. The lights also do not keep accurate time and run about 5 minutes fast per week, something that should be addressed and could possibly be remedied by controller support.

You should definitely carry the compact version. That's what I use and find that six units over my 78"x36"x27" tall tank gives fantastic coverage. I find the full size Atlantiks awkward over certain tank shapes.

Also, I find it impossible to read your posts and not use your voice from the videos in my head! Always amusing.

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to mount one from an arm/bar. Ryan mentioned it was doable, anyone tried?

HippieSmell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippiesmell, how do you have your compacts oriented over your tank?
An evenly spaced 2x3 grid, all slightly tilted toward the center of the tank because of the wide spread, and about a foot above the water line. I've also got a reflective insulating sheet above and to the sides of the lights. It's ugly as hell, but it's an inwall and needed because the lights are mounted directly below ductwork that gets hot when the furnace is on. Fortunately, it has the added benefit of producing a more even light source with better blending.

Graham hunt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ryan and BRs team,thanks for your review,par and height figures are priceless,really enjoyed your video and appreciate the effort involved.
Regards graham.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back