Testing a different type of LED lighting, the Orphek Atlantik V4 | BRStv Investigates

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to buy the Gateway to simply control the unit? I don't need to change anything from a world away, simply set them and leave.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs

Aesthetic-wise, how do you feel about the orphek compared to the T5/kessil combo? I don't care about efficiency, just pure aesthetics.

Last edited:

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I need now is a good way to mount them on the tank, not from ceiling. I've seen a few use the AI mounts but it sounds like its a dodgy DIY to make it work.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for another great video guys. Good to see that Orphek is still improving their light. I was pretty supprised to see that the Orphek had very similar results when compared to the ATI.

It's similar in consistent coverage but not in par...........Sunpowers look to have 20% or more in the usable areas(where you can place corals) That could be an issue with some deep systems.

Orphel vs Sunpower.gif

@Ryanbrs

Suggestions---

I'd like to see you compare a Powermodule Hybrid to two Orpheks.......that eliminates theT5 flat look issue with some people.

Or a Reefbreeders 48 Photon v2 to two Orpheks

I would like to see the spectrum compared to 4Coral+ and 4Blue+. 8 bulb combo vs two Orpheks

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's similar in consistent coverage but not in par...........Sunpowers look to have 20% or more in the usable areas(where you can place corals) That could be an issue with some deep systems.

Orphel vs Sunpower.gif

@Ryanbrs

Suggestions---

I'd like to see you compare a Powermodule Hybrid to two Orpheks.......that eliminates theT5 flat look issue with some people.

Or a Reefbreeders 48 Photon v2 to two Orpheks

I would like to see the spectrum compared to 4Coral+ and 4Blue+. 8 bulb combo vs two Orpheks

The Sunpower had an average of 447 par at a depth of 6". The Orphek had an average of 339. It is possible tanks deeper than 3 feet might benefit from the increased par but note there will very likely be a drop in bulb output over time that negates that to some degree. The SunPower numbers are also taken at the ideal fan speed for par. It can be quite a bit lower when set to a fan speed of nine which is best for the ballasts.

We will likely get to the power module at some point but there are a lot of requests and so far that one just hasn't hit the top. The photon has 48 LEDs, with 6 different spectrums and consumes 120 watts. I don't think it is likely fair to compare it to a 220 watt. 154 LED fixture with 14 different spectrums.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to buy the Gateway to simply control the unit? I don't need to change anything from a world away, simply set them and leave.

Yes you do but only one for multiple lights.

@Ryanbrs

Aesthetic-wise, how do you feel about the orphek compared to the T5/kessil combo? I don't care about efficiency, just pure aesthetics.

There is no getting around how the single point of light shimmer from the kessils produces real shimmer rather than flicker or static and once it is muted by T5's I think it is the best looking combo there is.

@Ryanbrs ... So do you like the Orphek Atlantik v4 better than the Kessil AP700? Are you going to replace the lights on the BRS160?

I am tempted to try them on the 160 for a real evaluation but I think it would mess with the Triton test so we probably won't do that for some time. We did actually change out the three 700's with five a360's. It's just a lot easier for us to adjust them manually for use on camera.

Last edited:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Sunpower had an average of 447 par at a depth of 6". The Orphek had an average of 339. It is possible tanks deeper than 3 feet might benefit from the increased par but note there will very likely be a drop in bulb output over time that negates that to some degree. The SunPower numbers are also taken at the ideal fan speed for par. It can be quite a bit lower when set to a fan speed of nine which is best for the ballasts.

I've never experienced much of a par drop in Ati bulbs over time when I tested them. Spectrum yes.........visually at bulb changes but it was not noticeable in coral growth or color throughout the months. I also linked a thread in your black box vs Radion thread that tested ATI bulbs par over months and the results were minimal degradation of par.

We will likely get to the power module at some point but there are a lot of requests and so far that one just hasn't hit the top. The photon has 48 LEDs, with 6 different spectrums and consumes 120 watts. I don't think it is likely fair to compare it to a 220 watt. 154 LED fixture with 14 different spectrums.

It's about performance and price point as far as I'm concerned. Besides I said two Oprheks not one, but one might make more sense. Two Orpheks vs Sunpower or Power module would be interesting. Photon 48 v2 has 88 diodes and 220 watts with plenty of needed spectrum & control.

Last edited:

Wu Tang Clam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add I'm pretty sure there is a different lens option for the deeper tanks out there,I think it is mentioned briefly on the website

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This light has got my attention. I like LEDs and have LEDs now, and was looking at possibly for a second tank going t5's. How much heat does the light through off?

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan, I'm interested in the efficiency of the Orphek as it compares to the XR30 running the AB+. Any idea what the Radion pulls when running AB+?
I can't recall what the wattage of a radion running ab+ at 100% is. maybe someone running them here could chime in : )

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This light has got my attention. I like LEDs and have LEDs now, and was looking at possibly for a second tank going t5's. How much heat does the light through off?

This isn't something we test for but I can imagine it is significantly worse or better than other similar wattage LED solutions.

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over priced Chinese LED
Did you check the companies ceredentials? They supply lights to very large aquariums around the world.
This is my Compact V 4 over 60 cube.
The tank looks bright and it has a very nice shimmer. ( not quite the same as the Kessil )
So far only LPS softies and Zoas in this tank but will add SPS over the next year . Apologies for the dirty glass This is my office tank and the Trigger likes to splash for food. And it’s the only photos I have sitting on my couch at home this morning.
@Ryanbrs thanks for the fantastic videos and specifically this video. BRS should consider the Compact as well.
2C440845-7BA5-4E94-9B53-116DD25E39F6.jpeg

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't something we test for but I can imagine it is significantly worse or better than other similar wattage LED solutions.

Thank you for getting back

The heat factor was one of the reasons that I went with and like LEDs. Maybe something to add to testing and shooting them with a infrared heat thermometer?

You guys always to a good job with your video and I always find myself watching one of your videos about something:)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for getting back

The heat factor was one of the reasons that I went with and like LEDs. Maybe something to add to testing and shooting them with a infrared heat thermometer?

You guys always to a good job with your video and I always find myself watching one of your videos about something:)
I can't imagine this light operating at temps it cant handle. Though, it has almost 3 times the leds a BB has but 4 times the heat sink, twice as many fans and completely vented. Twilliard has the v2's and really like them. I also think lionfishlair has the v3's?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine this light operating at temps it cant handle. Though, it has almost 3 times the leds a BB has but 4 times the heat sink, twice as many fans and completely vented. Twilliard has the v2's and really like them. I also think lionfishlair has the v3's?
My train of thought is, how much heat does the lamp produce, T5's, LED's, Halides, combos. We look at wattage but what about the cost of keeping the room cool?

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great videos! I’m just getting back in the hobby after 7 years without a tank. All of the info you provide has helped me greatly in catching up with new methods and technology! I will be purchasing most of my new supplies from you because of this! I’ve never seen this type of service from anyone in any industry! You guys are awesome!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 49.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 56 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.8%
Back