OP
MaverickFalcon4

MaverickFalcon4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by the way - I misphrased what I meant to say - stupid was way to harsh - impractical would have been a better term:). But still am curious - what are you planning to put in for fish either way you decide to go?
Its ok. I agree. But yeah was thinking of around a hundred tangs of different species, about a thousand lyretail anthias ( captive bred of course ), some reef safe triggerfish, a handful of copperbands, an army of Halichoeres wrasses, some fairy wrasses, a couple of harems of Genicanthus angles, a few dozen skunk cleaners, some sandsifting and brittle stars, plenty of tuxedo urchins and a giant assortment of snails. Maybe ill add a few zebra tangs? Thats about it. At this point im just going for the giga aquarium? But how deep can sunlight pernitrate? iS 8m deep enough with assistance from large commercial reef lights? As in the tank is primarily lit by sunlight like Eli's tank? The one in Israel

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its ok. I agree. But yeah was thinking of around a hundred tangs of different species, about a thousand lyretail anthias ( captive bred of course ), some reef safe triggerfish, a handful of copperbands, an army of Halichoeres wrasses, some fairy wrasses, a couple of harems of Genicanthus angles, a few dozen skunk cleaners, some sandsifting and brittle stars, plenty of tuxedo urchins and a giant assortment of snails. Maybe ill add a few zebra tangs? Thats about it. At this point im just going for the giga aquarium? But how deep can sunlight pernitrate? iS 8m deep enough with assistance from large commercial reef lights?
I was under the impression that the Waikiki aquarium has a sunlit tank - but I'm unable to find. 8 meters is not 'that deep' IMHO.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any as big as you thinking about, but there are a lot of outdoor systems that I have seen in person or read about on here and other sites. Some as simple as a kiddy pool with filtration, sand and rocks.
O2manyfish on here has had one that is both indoor and out for many years. Steve Garret of Garrett's Acropolis has a large outdoor coral framing system. Both of these I have seen on several occasions.
There is one in Hawaii that has a salt water stream running between 2 wings of the house. If I remember it also had a outdoor pool with a large indoor viewing area. It was really spectacular i thought. It is what I would love to do if I had that kind on money!

There is a guy on here in Texas building a swimming pool sized one currently. The local aquarium has 2 outdoor tanks. I have also seen several from other parts of the world.
Clearly it can be done! There will be unique challenges due to your specific location, weather, design and desires.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know of any as big as you thinking about, but there are a lot of outdoor systems that I have seen in person or read about on here and other sites. Some as simple as a kiddy pool with filtration, sand and rocks.
O2manyfish on here has had one that is both indoor and out for many years. Steve Garret of Garrett's Acropolis has a large outdoor coral framing system. Both of these I have seen on several occasions.
There is one in Hawaii that has a salt water stream running between 2 wings of the house. If I remember it also had a outdoor pool with a large indoor viewing area. It was really spectacular i thought. It is what I would love to do if I had that kind on money!

There is a guy on here in Texas building a swimming pool sized one currently. The local aquarium has 2 outdoor tanks. I have also seen several from other parts of the world.
Clearly it can be done! There will be unique challenges due to your specific location, weather, design and desires.
Hey - I'll split it with you lol. JK - I dont have that kind of money either.

Antyama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully agree with @alain Bouchard , have a steady in/out flow from large pipes that just siphon seawater through the actual pond/pool and have a computer maintain a steady waterlevel that way, instead of fussing around with evaporation and rodi.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back