Testing Confusion & where are my results?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered and received the 486107-MA-K Marine Testing kit.

A few things are really confusing.....

What test do I choose for Total Hardness Ultra High in the app ? The kit came with part number 486669A-25

Below are the choices - (note, this would be so much easier if you guys would find a way to make it obvious as this is an issue with a couple of the tests - CA, Alk etc).

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.42.56 PM.png

Also - why do the tests not show up in the results page of the IOS app? They show up on the web on iDipdata.com - just not in the app.

The challenge I am experiencing with the iDipdata site is it won't show me my test results in my preferred units. In order to see that I have to download the CSV file. See screen shots below....

APP:
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.52.07 PM.png

Spreadsheet:
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.50.22 PM.png

idipdata.com :
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.49.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.49.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.52.07 PM.png

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! We're sorry for the confusion you're having about testing. We will be reaching out to you via phone to answer any questions you may have!

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When? After I'm forced to go out and buy more reagents for your competitors test kits that actually have instructions available?

No phone calls have been placed to me (do you even have my phone number?), nobody answers your phones and I'm still getting bad results because some of the tests have zero instructions, you can't tell what test to choose on the iDip 570, no way to know how many drops of reagent to use etc.

Results still don't show up in the app - not that it matters much since Hardness test comes out with nothing but HI - probably because the instructions are either non existent or wrong.

So - until you can provide me with a link to instructions for 486668 - Total Hardness Ultra High - I'm sitting here looking at a $350.00 box of stuff I wish would work while I'm testing Mg with an old Red Sea test kit.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Leo,

Kedemah will be calling you this morning. We have your phone number from the purchase of your kit. If this is incorrect, please provide us with the best number.

We're curious as to when you've tried calling. We rotate all of our product managers so that someone is always available to answer the phones. Please keep in mind we are also only available from 8am to 4:30pm EST.

Results will temporarily be stored under results, then after you've completed a test (marking the customer, site, etc.) and 'save' is clicked, it is then stored in the 'history' section in the menu located at the top left of your screen.

The instructions for each test will explain exactly how to perform it in the app. If you refer to page 15 in your physical paper manual, it will show you exactly how to either read, or watch the instructions. Within those instructions (in the app) it tells you exactly how much water to put into the cell and how many drops to use.

There are two different tests to use for Total Hardness: "570 Hardness, Tot UH Marine THU" which will range from 2900-5500PPM or "570 Hardness, Tot UH-II Marine THU" which will range from 5400-8000PPM. Both of which are listed in the instructions within the app. Both tests will use the same strips that were provided in your kit, but will use different procedures, so please read the instructions (within the app) carefully.

486668 is Calcium Hardness High, is that what you're referring to or is it 486669 Total Hardness you're after?

The instructions for 486668 Calcium Hardness High is here. There is also a video here.
The instructions for 486669 Total Hardness Ultra High (2900-5500ppm) is here. There is also a video here.
The instructions for 486669 Total Hardness Ultra High II (5400-8000ppm) is here. There is also a video here.

We hope this helps clear up some confusion.

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Leo,

Kedemah will be calling you this morning. We have your phone number from the purchase of your kit. If this is incorrect, please provide us with the best number.

We're curious as to when you've tried calling. We rotate all of our product managers so that someone is always available to answer the phones. Please keep in mind we are also only available from 8am to 4:30pm EST.

Results will temporarily be stored under results, then after you've completed a test (marking the customer, site, etc.) and 'save' is clicked, it is then stored in the 'history' section in the menu located at the top left of your screen.

The instructions for each test will explain exactly how to perform it in the app. If you refer to page 15 in your physical paper manual, it will show you exactly how to either read, or watch the instructions. Within those instructions (in the app) it tells you exactly how much water to put into the cell and how many drops to use.

There are two different tests to use for Total Hardness: "570 Hardness, Tot UH Marine THU" which will range from 2900-5500PPM or "570 Hardness, Tot UH-II Marine THU" which will range from 5400-8000PPM. Both of which are listed in the instructions within the app. Both tests will use the same strips that were provided in your kit, but will use different procedures, so please read the instructions (within the app) carefully.

486668 is Calcium Hardness High, is that what you're referring to or is it 486669 Total Hardness you're after?

The instructions for 486668 Calcium Hardness High is here. There is also a video here.
The instructions for 486669 Total Hardness Ultra High (2900-5500ppm) is here. There is also a video here.
The instructions for 486669 Total Hardness Ultra High II (5400-8000ppm) is here. There is also a video here.

We hope this helps clear up some confusion.

It helps with the "where are the results in the app" question! Thank You

Kedemah did just phone me and clarified all my confusions about the Total Hardness tests.

Thank You - I'm looking forward to getting that THU testing process sorted out this afternoon.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! We're so glad that this all helped. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us here, or Kedemah directly!

-The iDip Team

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions as we are having issues as well.
On the app when you try to read the instructions for THU or THU II, you get nothing. You can go to the videos but the “instructions”, if they are like those for the Calcium would be sufficient, if they actually pulled up.
Which leads me to the question, why aren’t they IN THE HARD COPY guide that comes with the unit to begin with.
And it gave me some solace to see that this guy’s Calcium reading on he CSV file was approx 1300ppm as our reading was 1150 ppm. But shouldn’t calcium be 420 or so?im assuming this has something with the Calcium reading being as CaCO3?

And the auto calculation feature for Mag is nice but it’s essentially the THU minus the CAL which left us with a reading of approx 3800 ppm?!?
Exact iDip, you do realize that this is being used by reefers who as a whole are pretty intelligent people, but having results that aren’t in the industry’s standard formats make this clunky and annoying at best.
Love the simplicity and tracking ability for Nitrate and Phoshate, but the Calcium, and Mag should be explained more clearly and give results in the same “format” reefers typically use.
Another nice thing would be to inform us to NOT hit results after the THU test and to wait until you’ve done both the THU and CAL tests for the auto calculation function to work for the MAG.
I’m assuming that the Mag and Calcium readings being “in CaCO3” is the issue. Is there a conversion that gets these to the 1400s and 400s we as reefers are used to aiming for?
Thanks!
I’ll try to call tomorrow, but for anyone else that comes across this thread, a detailed answer to these questions would be very helpful posted here.

527ABCD7-219C-4FCF-BDF1-4CB40AC73E12.png
9239CCB5-8F57-4838-9FD5-70A0FFCE5A5F.png

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THU & THU II - are really both the exact same test EXCEPT - the THU uses 9 drops of the reagent from the bottle and the THU II uses 14 drops of reagent from the bottle.

I can't help on the Mg question as I'm having the same issue as you - my Mg shows up over 5500. I believe I need to change the scale (preferred units of measure in the app) to Mg+2 - be default it's recorded as CaCO2.

As far as the format or scale the tests return - you can change the default to scales we are more familiar with as reefers in the app. But you have to set it before you test - once you test I don't think your previous results will be updated. In the app go to Settings then Profile and you can set your preferred unit for each test.

I was frustrated like you, however, once I sorted out a few little nuances I'm happier with the iDip 570. I can't say good or bad long term as I've really only done a handful of testing with it so far.

Now that I have the testing method down I'll get more day to day hands on and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for jumping in, @lmm1967!

@Tobe71, can you send us a direct message with your contact information? We'll be happy to reach out to you with some clarification!

Thanks!
I did and called. You returned my call on Feb 26th leaving a message stating a clarification video would be posted here. I have been extraordinary busy but was reassured by the message assuming the promised video would be here when I needed it.
Very disappointed to not see it here. If it’s been posted elsewhere, a link would be greatly appreciated.
I’ll try to call again tomorrow.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THU & THU II - are really both the exact same test EXCEPT - the THU uses 9 drops of the reagent from the bottle and the THU II uses 14 drops of reagent from the bottle.

I can't help on the Mg question as I'm having the same issue as you - my Mg shows up over 5500. I believe I need to change the scale (preferred units of measure in the app) to Mg+2 - be default it's recorded as CaCO2.

As far as the format or scale the tests return - you can change the default to scales we are more familiar with as reefers in the app. But you have to set it before you test - once you test I don't think your previous results will be updated. In the app go to Settings then Profile and you can set your preferred unit for each test.

I was frustrated like you, however, once I sorted out a few little nuances I'm happier with the iDip 570. I can't say good or bad long term as I've really only done a handful of testing with it so far.

Now that I have the testing method down I'll get more day to day hands on and see how it goes.
Maybe you can give details or post a video? Exact IDip seems to have left us hanging...

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is the THU II test.

The only difference between THU & THU II is how many drops of liquid reagent you use.

For reef tanks you want to do like this video shows and use 14 drops.

My experience thus far is that if I do the CAH test and then the THU - the THU test will ALWAYS end up with an error showing HI

If I do it the other way around - THU first and then CAH - it seems to not error. And YES - I'm washing, rinsing, brushing, rinsing etc.

Both CAH & the Calculated Mg seem to come out at least 10% higher than all other test kits show.

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @lmm1967 for the quick help.

@Tobe71, he is correct. Please watch this video carefully to properly test for Total Hardness. We apologize for any confusion that has been caused so far. Rest assured we are here to help! :)

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @lmm1967 for the quick help.

@Tobe71, he is correct. Please watch this video carefully to properly test for Total Hardness. We apologize for any confusion that has been caused so far. Rest assured we are here to help! :)

That gets us part of the way there. Can you clarify how to use that test and the calcium test to derive the Mag reading? Thanks.

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it happens automatically - but you have to perform both tests and then save them at the same time.

If you do each test individually or don't save them to a tank/site it won't do the Mg calculation.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In term of product development, what kind of new development were implemented? I bought and sold my idip few years ago. Any new developments since then?

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct! The iDip 570 will automatically calculate Magnesium just as @lmm1967 mentioned.

Hi there. Im unclear which THH we are supposed to use in the Marine Testing. The above notes references different TH tests than what are provided in the Marine Starter kit (486656)

Which is it?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back