Testing discrepencies which to believe and follow

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked up my Trident and I'm getting some very high Calcium results. I had been previously using the Hanna and redsea kits. Currently thinking the Trident is either having an issue or just reading high. Both the redsea and hanna kits match within the testing accuracy ( has been 430-450 for months). The problem is the Trident measured 515-518 right out of the box. I waited the 48hrs and calibrated. The cal took place and matched the cal solution exactly for ALL three parameters. However, now I'm consistently getting readings of 550 +/- 5 . I tried to have dosing based on the Trident readings but the readings actually went up. So I turned the doser off for a day and the readings didnt drop at all. I was previously dosing 30ml 2part daily to maintain based on Hanna. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the Triton...yet but I would send away an icp test to get a definitive answer. When you send the test, if you do, run all the tests at the same time and keep that info ready for when you get the ICP results back. This should give you in info you need.

by the way my Hanna is usually spot on with the ICP only a very small amount off.

OP
OP
Octane13

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the Triton...yet but I would send away an icp test to get a definitive answer. When you send the test, if you do, run all the tests at the same time and keep that info ready for when you get the ICP results back. This should give you in info you need.

by the way my Hanna is usually spot on with the ICP only a very small amount off.
I may end up doing that. But for now I have been dosing the same amount as before assuming consumption is the same and may try and get someone else to test before I go ICP route.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a Trident but from other threads on this forum this reads like a setup issue; pinched line, air.

OP
OP
Octane13

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a Trident but from other threads on this forum this reads like a setup issue; pinched line, air.
I will re-check the system but what really throws me off was the calibration fluid and the trident matching perfectly. So it read the solution perfect but somehow cant read my tank water. Or is my hanna/redsea kit testing just off? Assuming the measurement on the bottle of calibration fluid is accurate of course

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back