Testing for dissolved organics in a seahorse tank.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20221016_143810.jpg

The result of BOD quick test of my tank water.

OP
OP
rayjay

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for posting that information.
Like most seahorse keepers, I lack much understanding of chemistry so I DO have concerns about this test kit and applying it to seahorse tank water.
First of all, in over 50 yrs of color chart test kit use, I've almost always found some problem in reading the results as the test colour seems to often not be sufficiently related to the chart colours.
Now, from Kyoritsu:
Quote: "※The result obtained by this method is an approximate value of BOD. Please be sure to confirm the correlation with the official method"
Also, from the pdf instructions, it says: "When measuring seawater, the reaction tends to proceed faster and result in positive false reading, so reading half to one indicator below actual matching color may provide the estimated value. BOD value exceeding 500mg/L may become colorless."
As seahorse tanks ARE seawater/saltwater, hobbyists like me will have problems with both of these statements, especially as the "official method" to check with is too expensive for a hobbyist.
From your picture, the lowest segment is between 0 and 20 ppm when I'm suspecting that seahorse tanks are going to be virtually 0 unless there is a problem, and it may get up to .5-1 ppm. Hard to determine with the colour chart there.

I did a Google search for the kit and was unable to find a source for it in North America but based on some of Kyoritsu test kits that I DID see, pricing, while fine for waste treatment facilities, is a WAY to high for hobbyist use. Waste treatment facilities would use the kits up in respectable time, but as they say to "Keep unused PACKTEST tubes in the provided preserving bag after opening the laminated package and use them as soon as possible. Depending on the storage condition, the reagent may deteriorate in several days especially under the hot and humid weather." a seahorse keeping hobbyist would likely find they wouldn't use the packs fast enough to prevent loss due to deterioration of the packs.
While I don't think this is suitable for our purpose, I REALLY appreciate your information as I think that eventually, help like this might just lead to a workable solution to our problem.
I also acknowledge too that I may have to change my thoughts on this if those knowledgeable show me that I'm wrong.

OP
OP
rayjay

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for MY eyes, it's different again. I don't see 20 and I don't see 0. I see it being somewhere in between, with a tinge of the zero colour coming through but definitely not the full darkness of the 20. If I HAD to specify a number I'd probably guess at 15.
That is one of my reasons why it won't work for seahorse keeping.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back