Testing, How and When is actualy important (How to reduce the margin of error)

Hybrid Ken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can we make sure we are getting accurate results when testing? Knowing what can cause erroneous results helps as does developing good testing habits.
A bit about me, I am a plant operator and the QA person in a global chemical additive company. We have a pretty strict policy on how to take a sample and how we maintain the testing equipment. When I sat back and thought what if I applied this to my tank testing would it make any difference. Well to my joy I started seeing more consistent results in my test results, they were no longer all over the place. So here is my method of sampling and testing.

First, make sure your kits/reagents are not expired.
Knowing how to read an expiration date can save lots of headaches. Some kits are strait forward and show month and year of expiration others not so much. API shows a two digit month and a four digit year such as 06/2020 meaning the kit expires on June in 2020. A redsea kit may have an expiration number like 0620 for the same month and year.

20190106_160752.jpg

Second, our equipment.
Having clean equipment in good working order (lab grade is always best) is essential for getting consistent testing.

thermometor and timer.jpg

Rinsing and drying syringes, vials and pipettes has a great impact on test results. Using distilled or RO water to rinse before and after testing and lint free or micro fiber cloth for drying helps keep cuvettes and vials in tip top condition. Occasionally you may need to clean your glass items in a citric or vinegar bath to remove residue.

distilled water.jpg

microfiber cloth.jpg

How we take a sample is pretty important also. Rinsing your syringe, pipette, tube or vial with the water to be tested by filling and dumping (down the drain not back into the tank) three times. This seems like a lot but it will most likely remove any residue or contaminates like salt crust left over from the last use that could effect your results.

Time of day has an impact on results. Your PH can change during the day according to your photo period, by testing around the same time every day we can ensure we are getting accurate results that should be similar. Additives can effect results too. Read as much as you can about what you are putting in your tank and try not to test right after adding something unless required to according to the additive.

How the testing solutions/reagents are added is very important. A pipet or dropper bottle held at a angle can deliver a slightly different size drop then one if the pipette/ dropper bottle is held vertically.

horizontal dropper.jpg

Holding vertically is the normal standard for using a dropper bottle.

Vertical dropper.jpg

For dry powders I will get a scoop of reagent using the kits supplied scoop and then level the scoop by drawing the flat edge of index card across the top. (yes this is a large spoon but the small scoops in a kit are hard to photograph doing this)

scoop.jpg

So now that I have covered that, here is how I typically test. Normally I perform my tank tests at 4pm to 5pm before I leave for the day. I gather a single large sample in a suitable container. I have access to lab grad beakers and sample cups and opt for a sample cup and syringe. Both are rinsed with distilled water before use.

specimen cup.jpg

I rinse the clean sample cup with tank water three times and then fill the cup one more time, this will be the water I will be testing. From this point on this water will be considered "unsuitable for tank use" in the idea that it is good for testing but I should not return it to the tank as it may inadvertently get something in it that I do not want to introduce into my tank. From this point on its all a matter of following the test kits instructions. When the test is complete I rinse the testing tube or vial immediately with tap water a minimum of three times followed by distilled or RO water and dry them to keep the glass in as pristine condition as possible. Reagents sitting in a test container can etch and discolor it.

Testing for salinity I use a refractometer. Mine instructs that calibration should be done with distilled water with the reading being zero. Since I need to rinse it off after use I actually calibrate when I am finished testing. First I use the pipette that came with it and gather my sample by drawing up water from the tank three times and squirting it back out each time, This again removes any salt residue that may have remained in it from last use and cleaning. I place the recommended three drops on the refractometer and take my reading. Next I rinse the refractometer and cover with distilled water toughly, close the cover and take a reading. If it is still in calibration I should get a zero reading. Now I can dry off everything and put it back in its storage case. Doing it this way I still know it is in calibration and saved a bit on the distilled water and an extra step.

refractometer.jpg

Recording results in a manner that can be displayed as a graph is a great way to see at a glance if there is a trend or problem starting up. Here you can see me dialing in my heater to the desired temperature over a weeks time during set up.

tracking graph.jpg

So by keeping everything as clean as possible, make sure to get the best possible representative sample of tank water along with good testing technique we can be assured our results will be more accurate of what is going on in our tanks.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. The only thing I would add to it is that ambient room lighting be sufficient enough to read test results correctly. Some test kits require a color scale chart from which a test is measured against. Using the same lighting for each test will ensure consistency.

OP
OP
Hybrid Ken

Hybrid Ken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. The only thing I would add to it is that ambient room lighting be sufficient enough to read test results correctly. Some test kits require a color scale chart from which a test is measured against. Using the same lighting for each test will ensure consistency.
Correct but I kind of leave that as a following the kit instructions thing

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up Ken and thanks for taking the time to do that for us

You missed the bit about wiping the refractometer on your shirt! Lol

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work and very generous of you to share! Turn this into an article for R2R.

OP
OP
Hybrid Ken

Hybrid Ken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care what your refractometer's instructions say, calibrating with RO/DI water is just wrong. Use a properly made refraction standard instead. Please see: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php and: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php
I said Distilled water not RO/DI and I am gong to do what the manufacture says to do as they built it. From your referenced articles-
1. First calibrate the refractometer in pure freshwater. This can be distilled water, RO (reverse osmosis) water, RO/DI water, bottled water and even tap water with reasonably low TDS (total dissolved solids). Calibrating with tap water that has a TDS value of 350 ppm introduces only about a 1% error in salinity, causing readings in seawater to read a bit low. So 35 ppt seawater (specific gravity = 1.0264) will read to be about 34.7 ppt, and will show a specific gravity of about 1.0261.

The only way to be sure that a given refractometer gives useful information is to check its accuracy in a solution similar to aquarium water. I believe that all refractometers should be checked in this fashion when first purchased, and again any time there is a reason to be concerned. For example, an aquarist might be concerned if an aquarium that had been running for years at a salinity of 35 ppt suddenly reads 39 ppt.

So my take on that it is an acceptable method acceptable to check if it is still in calibration if the device has been calibrated properly previously and there had been no reason to doubt its current calibration status such as a sudden unseal reading or it dropped.

Last edited:

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said Distilled water not RO/DI and I am gong to do what the manufacture says to do as they built it and all that.
Distilled is equivalent to RO/DI for the purposes of this conversation; that is not a meaningful distinction. The manufacturer's instructions are just plain wrong, from the perspective of "How to reduce the margin of error" (unless you intend to measure the refractive index of pure water, that is). Those instructions, which are pretty much consistent across various manufacturers, provide a simple and easy way for the common man to use the most readily available and simplest calibration fluid (pure water), but are not the best practice for calibrating the instrument if you intend to measure 35 PPT seawater. You always want to calibrate relative to the actual value you are intending to measure. Randy makes that very clear in the articles I linked. Did you read them?

I appreciate what you are trying to do with this post very much (even though I realize I probably didn't come across like that), but advocating the use of 0 PPT water for refractometer calibration flies in the face of the stated purpose of this thread. Using pure water to calibrate reef tank refractometers is a well-known bad practice. Sorry, I can't let that slide.

If you are going to coach others about how to do these tests, then I would hope that you would do it from an informed position. I'm trying, with Randy's help via his articles, to better inform that position. I hope you are open to that sort of thing.

OP
OP
Hybrid Ken

Hybrid Ken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled is equivalent to RO/DI for the purposes of this conversation; that is not a meaningful distinction. The manufacturer's instructions are just plain wrong, from the perspective of "How to reduce the margin of error" (unless you intend to measure the refractive index of pure water, that is). Those instructions, which are pretty much consistent across various manufacturers, provide a simple and easy way for the common man to use the most readily available and simplest calibration fluid (pure water), but are not the best practice for calibrating the instrument if you intend to measure 35 PPT seawater. You always want to calibrate relative to the actual value you are intending to measure. Randy makes that very clear in the articles I linked. Did you read them?

I appreciate what you are trying to do with this post very much (even though I realize I probably didn't come across like that), but advocating the use of 0 PPT water for refractometer calibration flies in the face of the stated purpose of this thread. Using pure water to calibrate reef tank refractometers is a well-known bad practice. Sorry, I can't let that slide.

If you are going to coach others about how to do these tests, then I would hope that you would do it from an informed position. I'm trying, with Randy's help via his articles, to better inform that position. I hope you are open to that sort of thing.[/QUOTE

The reference to pure water is from the articles you posted. This is a cut and paste from the first article you posted --->1. First calibrate the refractometer in pure freshwater. This can be distilled water, RO (reverse osmosis) water, RO/DI water, bottled water and even tap water with reasonably low TDS (total dissolved solids). Calibrating with tap water that has a TDS value of 350 ppm introduces only about a 1% error in salinity, causing readings in seawater to read a bit low. So 35 ppt seawater (specific gravity = 1.0264) will read to be about 34.7 ppt, and will show a specific gravity of about 1.0261.

The intent of what I was saying (and I will go back and re word it) is to check that the calibration has not changed from last use not calibration.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When BRS did their test kit comparisons it did not matter if they leveled the scoop off, or just left it rounded. Neither way made a difference in the test performed, the result achieve, or the test kit used.

Keep in mind these are hobby grade test kits, anything within "range" is usually good, and never chase exact numbers.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When BRS did their test kit comparisons it did not matter if they leveled the scoop off, or just left it rounded. Neither way made a difference in the test performed, the result achieve, or the test kit used.

Keep in mind these are hobby grade test kits, anything within "range" is usually good, and never chase exact numbers.
I agree with this also. While it doesn't really hurt anything except perhaps your own stress level to agonize over leveling off the scoops, it is generally true that anything calling for a "scoop" of powdered reagent really just needs "some" of that reagent to make it into the solution. The exact amount isn't important to the test.

For example, the powdered reagent commonly used in Ca test kits is just some inert salt like NaCl or KCl mixed with a small amount of a powdered dye. You just have to get enough of the dye in to be able to see the color. Too much, and the color is a little darker. Too little, and the color is a little fainter. But the color's hue will be the same in either case.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back