Testing kit

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well simplest isn't always most accurate. I like Salifert test kits myself. As far as digital depends on how much money you wanna spend. I have used hanna in the past but now I have a trident on my apex I don't think I will ever go back to hand testing unless I think something is off with trident

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Salifert for all my testing since about 1988 or so. Simple to use, reasonably priced, and very repeatable results.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer depends on what stage you are in with your tank. If you’re cycling then the API Saltwater Master Test Kit is probably fine. It gives you pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

As your tank matures you’ll stop testing some things and start testing others depending on your needs. I’m currently using Hanna checkers for salinity, alkalinity, and phosphates. Using Salifert for nitrates, calcium, and magnesium.

There are lots of threads about various tests and test kits for you to see as well.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For salinity, I use a refractometer. It is simple to use, fast and accurate.

Each parameter has a test that works best for it and the tests vary. Bulk Reef Supply has a series of videos where they look at all of the widely used tests and compare them for cost and accuracy.

For magnesium, I like Salifert. I have tried Red Sea Pro and I don’t get consistent results with it.

If you have fast growing SPS corals, getting a good measure on alkalinity is critical. The best tests can get you to about .2 DKH at least on a comparative basis. I think Hanna is the best test on the market. Next are Salifert and Red Sea pro.

For calcium, you set a number and make sure you stay kinda close so just being in the ball park is good enough. I would say that Red Sea pro or Salifert here.

For nitrate, it depends on your objective. Some people want to run a low nutrient system so hitting around 1 ppm but more than 0 is important for them. Other people just want to be at around 5 - 10 ppm and that is less demandingI like the Red Sea pro but Salifert is good too.

Phosphate is tough. Only one home test is sensitive enough to be useful and that is the Hanna ultra low range. You want to have some phosphate or you starve your corals but you do not want too much. Since too much is anything over .03 for some people, Hanna is the only way to go. If you will accept higher levels of phosphates some other tests will work.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best and simplest water testing kit for all parameters and what is best and simplest digital test kit?

For ammonia I would go Red Sea, salifert is very hard to read for low levels of ammonia.

Salifert is good for nitrite.

You will get a lot of opinions on this question, try a few and see what you prefer.

natasha_awt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best and simplest water testing kit for all parameters and what is best and simplest digital test kit?

Hi Guyhives!

What stage is your tank in? I suggest testing for the 9 most important parameters - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, carbon, alkalinity, and salinity. The more you invest in kits, the higher the accuracy - for home tests, Salifert and Red Sea are good. Hanna Checkers are great, but get pricey for all the tests. Mail in services are great as well and eliminate the headache of home tests and also provide highest accuracy - some offer quick turnaround time. I'd try to incorporate a mail in test every month or two and stick with Salifert/Red Sea for the weeks in between.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def a topic to give a good amount of thought to.
The test kits aren't cheap. BRSTV did a great series for best in show 2019. I felt it was pretty objective.

The best test kits are the ones you will use frequently. I, personally, struggle with some of the fancy digital ones bc I'm not anal enough to keep the vials in pristine condition.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately from my experience I have yet to find one test kit that's both best & simplest. Also depending on what I was testing, some test kits were better than others.
I use Hana for Alk & PO4 bc it provides precise reading vs having to interpret color change with other kits. For NO3, I use Salifert. In the beginning I started with API & Red Sea and didn't like them. I still use API for Calc test though

SunshineNinja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the BEST but I have been using the API for a while and want to switch to something that doesn't get chemicals everywhere. For some reason the test tubes for the API tests don't seal and when you have to shake the tubes for say a minute at a time (nitrate) you have to do it over the sink with gloves on or get chemicals all over the place.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back