Testing out your Plumbing

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have a couple quick questions about a new tank I'm setting up.

1. I'm looking to replicate all the "fails" of a tank in my garage before I bring this sucker inside and put water in the house. I've come up with a couple things that can go wrong, and want to test them out
    1. Sump Pump dies. Plan to unplug it and make sure any residual water in the line doesn't overflow the sump.
    2. Main siphon on the Herbie setup gets clogged. In theory this should hit the backup pipe, but want to ensure it does.
  2. When I do this test, do I need to use RO/DI water? Can I use Tap Water and then drain/refill it with saltwater? Is that a risk or am I overthinking it?
Am I missing any other scenarios for #1 above? The thing I want to avoid is water on the floor...even if I burn a pump out in the process because something got dry...

Setup: 90g Planet Aquarium w/middle internal overflow. Going to go Herbie style. Plan is a 29g sump (can't fit more in the stand, unfortunately).

Thanks!

Last edited:

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water is fine for testing those scenarios. Just don’t use it obviously to mix your salt water. And if you’re worried about it just let the tank dry completely after draining the tank. Just incase you’ve got a lot of chlorine in your water.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing on mine. On my Herbie I can completely close the siphon valve and the emergency can keep up with the pump. I leak tested my tank and sump with tap water, but the plumbing was tested with saltwater.

You can also rinse away the tap water with RODI water if you feel the need.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only did I use tap water... I filled it with a garden hose ;Wideyed

Just put some Prime in it when you get ready to fill it and all the nasties never need be worried about.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep mine was also leak tested outside with tap water from a water hose. I suspect you will find that many people who have tanks (used ones ecspecially) have leak tested with tap water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back