Testing Parameters, Kit Recommendations & ZERO Nitrates?

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still pretty new to saltwater and very new to reefing. I started a 40 gal about 3 months ago and have been keeping an eye on parameters. I'm using API reef kit to test weekly for: Alkalinity, Calcium, Nitrates and Phosphate, plus pH. I use a Salifert to double check Nitrate and used Salifert to check Ammonia in the beginning. Just brought home a Salifert Magnesium kit (LFS recommendation).

I am only testing my 40 gal Nuvo AIO currently. [I have a 10 gal and 20 gl that I do weekly water changes of 10-30% and haven't been too concerned about their levels since everything seems to be thriving and they are FOWLR.] On the 40, my Nitrates hit zero this week. I had been doing weekly 5 gal water changes since week 5 or 6 and LFS told me to slow down. Current load in tank is minimal - one clown and one bicolor blenny, tiger sand conch, cleaner shrimp, 6 snails. I've added 4 frags of various corals in the past week or two. I'd like to add a couple more fish but I'm waiting for the right additions and local availability.

My questions are two fold: More urgently, regarding my zero nitrates, I don't want to make major changes and swing too far in the wrong direction. Is reducing the water changes sufficient to achieve desired results? How often should I be changing the water and how much water should I change?

Moving forward: What testing kits do you recommend? Is there anything digital and automated? We're putting together a Raspberry/Reef Pi system for monitoring. Are Hanna kits the only digital manual kit? Considering cost of testing kits and tank sensitivity to changes, how should I prioritize my budget? Lastly, what parameters should I be aiming for with this tank?

In case it's relevant, I'm still battling diatoms but nothing unbearable. I have a couple of hair algae spots, no bigger than a quarter or so in size. But I do see a light "swaying" algae covering many darker/underside surfaces that is clear, about 1/8-1/4" in length and could be the beginnings of hair? Equipment: Nuvo 40 AIO tank, AI Prime 16 HD light, no sump, skimmer on hold (purchased, but not set up). Temp set to 78 and stays between 76-79. Media basket and sock filter. Feeding New Vision AIO dry blend in AM and Frozen cubes of spirulina brine shrimp in PM.

Thank you for your help!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Red Sea Pro for ALK, Ca, and N03. Red Sea Pro will detect nitrate down to .25 ppm. Salifert is good for ALK, Mg and NO3 and is inexpensive. Hanna is good for ALK. Hanna ULR is the only test sensitive enough for phosphate. The phosphorous test is a bit more sensitive than the phosphate test.

You can boost nitrate by dosing analytical grade Sodium Nitrate or food grade Sodium Nitrate or Stump Remover from Home Depot (potassium nitrate) I forget the brand name. Put half a cup of crystals into a gallon of RODI. For your aquarium dose about .5 teaspoon to start.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That’s such a helpful and thorough response! Do you suggest I begin dosing or wait it out for a little while? I will check again this evening to see if I have made any progress, but for the sake of this chat I’m assuming I am still at zero.

As for Phosphorous vs Phosphate, is there a conversion or separate parameter targets for phosphorous? Are they correlated/causal like nitrates and nitrites?

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be better to increase feeding to raise nitrates.

Check out Bulk Reef Supply's test kits for ideas.
I did start feeding more frequently and haven’t been stingy with the “brine pops” as my husband calls them ;)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back