Testing PO4 after nuking LR rock question

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bunch of LR rock from local reefer that was sitting in buckets (without water) for several months. After I got them home, i did a bleach bath for a week to kill and get rid of all dead organics. Rocks came out white and clean, so that was good. Rocks dried out and sat dry in a plastic tub last several months and there is no sent of bleach.

I filled up plastic tub full of rocks with RODI water 2 days ago and placed couple of powerheads for water movement. Checked PO4 using Hanna HI736 (ULR Phosphorus) and got reading of 1, which converted to PO4 comes out to 0.003 PPM.

Have few questions about this:
Since I am not curing or cycling rock yet, but just checking to make sure PO4 doesnt leach, is using fresh RODI water without salt fine for this test?
I was going to keep checking for next 7-10 days to see if numbers change. Is this enough time, or should I test for longer periods?
Anything else I may have missed that i should be doing?

Thanks for the help

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ipinion
If the rocks have sat in water for 7 -10 days I think you are good to go.

OP
OP
cvrle1

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ipinion
If the rocks have sat in water for 7 -10 days I think you are good to go.

Thanks for the feedback. Having given this more thought, I may just end up adding salt and bacteria and start to cure/cycle rocks. It will take several months to get it all done, so rock will be ready to go when tank is setup as well.

Back