Testing, Rock, Salt, and RODI advice

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to start a new build on a 45 gallon JBJ soon and had three things I wanted to poll the collective R2R minds on before I start buying items.

• Aquascape - I was leaning towards 40lbs of the LifeRock Dry Live Rock by Caribsea. Any opinions on that? Any need to cure it for a long time going into a new tank? The other option is my LFS has Live Rock that they keep in a sump and separated from the rest of their system that is "pest free". Not sure if that is the case but open to thoughts.
  • Salt - I have never made my own water before as with my last tank, the LFS was two minutes away. Any recommendations for a tank that will just house LPS? I'd like to get mixing some before getting the tank to have a batch ready.
  • RODI system - I have been leaning towards the 5 stage BRS Premium Plus RODI system at 150 GPD. While I think that might be higher capacity than I need, my thoughts were that the higher GPD system has less waste water and just trying to be cognizant of that.
  • Testing Kit - What is best here? Was leaning towards this kit by RedSea.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use as much real live rock as you can, not sure what your LFS has but check out KP aquatics or Tampa bay for quality ocean aquacultured rock.

I would never trust any LFS to provide my RO water or ready to use saltwater for my tanks.. make it yourself so you know it’s right! In addition to knowing exactly what’s in the water it gives me the ability to make endless amounts right in my home in case of emergency’s.

The higher the production rate of your RO membrane the more tds you will have.. IMO the 75 or 100 gallon per day would be a better choice for your tank.

Check out BRS videos where they compare different test kits. I use Hanna for ALK and salfert for most everything else.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use as much real live rock as you can, not sure what your LFS has but check out KP aquatics or Tampa bay for quality ocean aquacultured rock.

I would never trust any LFS to provide my RO water or ready to use saltwater for my tanks.. make it yourself so you know it’s right! In addition to knowing exactly what’s in the water it gives me the ability to make endless amounts right in my home in case of emergency’s.

The higher the production rate of your RO membrane the more tds you will have.. IMO the 75 or 100 gallon per day would be a better choice for your tank.

Check out BRS videos where they compare different test kits. I use Hanna for ALK and salfert for most everything else.
I fully plan on making my own water this time around but what’s the consensus on salt?

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully plan on making my own water this time around but what’s the consensus on salt?
  • Do you need a 5 stage? Do you have chlorimines (not chlorine) and whats your TDS now/ you might be able to save a few bucks. Have a read here!
  • Tropic Marin Pro for salt.
  • I got the RedSea test kit to start with. I'll go Salifert when that runs out.
  • Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock - Have a read here :)

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Tropic Marin Pro.
5 Stage is good but you don't need the 150 gpd. You need to check your incoming water pressure to match best with the RO unit.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will get a million opinions on salt mixes.. I have personally used instant ocean for over 3 decades with great results so I see no need for the newfangled designer brands with high price tags ;)

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate all the feedback. Water pressure is on my list of things to check and was just leaning for the 5 stage to be safe. I initially chose 150 because it produces the same quality as the 75 GPD (the 100GPD and 200GPD has poorer quality per BRS) but will consider the 75 instead.

One other item - what kind of pump will I need to mix the salt? Mainly, I was planning on removing the 2x return pump in the JBJ with a single Siccee 3.0. Would those work or do I need a power head? Otherwise I will just keep the stock for now and buy a cheap power head (MJ1200 seems to be preferred). Just wish I kept all my old Koralia’s I had from my last tank about now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back