Testing the Philips Coral Care LED's claims - Are they realistic?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do BRS review something that wont be coming to the US or wont be stocking?

jantje

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty standard for a large company to do their homework regarding patents. This isn't like our little fishtank companies who are sporadically successful and basically learning the ropes as they go, this is a multinational corporation where there is a correct procedure to protect your IP and it is followed strictly.

Man I wish they would bring this to the US. I don't really want to run 220V to my tank... Surely they must sell the warehouse lighting on which this light is based in an 110V model, the expenditure to make a 110V unit would I am sure be worth it given the market in the states.

I don't mind the form factor. We have an odd idea of what is pretty in the reef hobby, a nice skimmer can be pretty for example. My wife will make me surround it with a hood either way to minimize light pollution.

I wish there was someone we could speak with at Phillips to make our case!

you can do, .....the engineer of the Coralcare is active on this forum...in fact he is a very succesfull reefer as wel.
If you dont can contact him lett me know...i have his private phonenumber and can whatsappp him.

Luc Vogels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have searched every thread that mentions the Philips Coral Care to find out if and when it will be coming to the States as i would love to add them to my set up, unfortunately that does not seem to be a priority for Philips
The updated fixture was featured on Meerwasser Kanal anker&meehr's You Tube channel at Interzoo 2018. The interview is in German.

There are no short term plans to launch our current CoralCare product in the US.
However, we are fully aware of the fact that the US is an important market in the marine aquarium business.
From the moment we have more clarity on a potential US launch, we will surely inform you via R2R or any other social media channel.
But for now, we cannot give you any more details.

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't you have both?

Difficult. LEDs biggest problem is cooling. Vents are just not that good option, you need mass (metal) to keep the diods cool. But it is diffcult to make a nice, thin, elegant fixture if you need several kg's of aluminium to build your cooling.

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It better be a good one.
Have you seen all the patents Philips pulled on the CoralCare?
Philips has a patent on ALL LED’s that use a heat sink.
They shake down every retailer in the industry for royalties on every light sold, otherwise Philips will sue them.

they’re a multibillion dollar corporate bully that just likes to patent anything they can to collect on the hard work of others.
Nobody can afford to go up against them except companies like Lowe’s that have fought and won.

most companies can’t even afford to challenge Philips.

tvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, I have one. The light doesn't like the controller. The controller will only drive the blue channel. Unplug the controller and the light runs both channels all the time. The controller was sold as a package with the light one price. I've ordered a photon v2+ to replace it. Phillips may have invented leds, but their QC sucks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back