Testing the Philips Coral Care LED's claims - Are they realistic?

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short video now that tank is full and operational. There is a slight shimmer but not much. As you can see though there is ZERO color banding in the sandbed. Just a massive even blanket of light with no visible shadows. Ohh and the massive heatsink keeps the unit cold to the touch. At 50% power I wouldn't even say it gets warm. That plus it being completely silent.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditching my last leds this weekend, color diffusion is one of the reasons I'm getting rid of them. These are definitely promising.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This light is the real deal. I've been running it for about six weeks now. SPS coral growth is really good. I actually have had to turn this fixture down quite a bit as it is very powerful and my lights are mounted close to the tank. If you want to see more about it and the progression of my 425g, check out my build thread in the 180+ section.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate efforts of Luc Vogels and Coral Care team to bring Philips to reef keeping hobby. About the price ... actually Coral Care is cheaper than the original GentleSpace gen 2 on which architecture is based. Knowing what is the market niche of Coral Care compared to the niche of GentleSpac gen2 (high-bay lighting) this is quite unusual and good for us, reef freaks, market policy. The tank of Luc which is lit from 2 years with Coral Care lamps is really impressive https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/luc-vogelss-300-gallon-coralcare-reef.271225/. I'm not a big fan of reef led lights, I've tested most of them and I'm convinced that t5 is still best option, but Coral Care is the first step in right direction from many years. Together with t5 replacement led tubes this is the future of reef lighting IMO.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussie pink tip elegance. The color setting on the light is 50 Blue 25 White channel. The elegance almost has a glowing color without the blue heavy push.

IMG_20161227_132747.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gus6464
Glad I found you over here too.
Looks like we all be following you on this fixture over the future months.

I think: It'll getter done!

I don't have to have a super sleek, thunder storms and billion color settings fixture. Just give me a great LED thats pretty much plug and play. Just one less thing. I've got enough to do watching my chemistry and regular maintenance than fulling with LED settings and not to mention hot spots and shading.

Those old MH in the 1990's weren't the sleekest fixtures either but they got the job done and were bullet proof built too!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are people getting the $1000 pricing. That wasn't mentioned anywhere in the video. I have a CoralCare coming next week from the Netherlands and it was $800 shipped to my door in California including the controller. The light is $749 EU and that's with 19% VAT. It is cheaper than a Radion XR30 Pro.
Where were you able to order it? I'm interested in ordering one myself.

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short video now that tank is full and operational. There is a slight shimmer but not much. As you can see though there is ZERO color banding in the sandbed. Just a massive even blanket of light with no visible shadows. Ohh and the massive heatsink keeps the unit cold to the touch. At 50% power I wouldn't even say it gets warm. That plus it being completely silent.

Hmmm. Obviously the spread is incredible but I have to admit that to total lack of shimmer is a bit of a turn off.

We need a balance between what Kessil is doing with the AP700 and Philips is doing here. It would be interesting to see what 4-6 dense led clusters would look like behind a diffuser like this. Could that strike the balance ?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not a total lack of shimmer. It depends on your surface agitation. In my set up there is the perfect amount of shimmer for me. Just a slight bit more than T5. I have halides on the other half of my tank and their shimmer is only slightly more. I personally am not one for the crazy glimmer lines. Even with the diffusers the AP700 is too much for me. And that really is what it comes down to - personal affinity for that sparkle.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not a total lack of shimmer. It depends on your surface agitation. In my set up there is the perfect amount of shimmer for me. Just a slight bit more than T5. I have halides on the other half of my tank and their shimmer is only slightly more. I personally am not one for the crazy glimmer lines. Even with the diffusers the AP700 is too much for me. And that really is what it comes down to - personal affinity for that sparkle.
+1

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Obviously the spread is incredible but I have to admit that to total lack of shimmer is a bit of a turn off.

We need a balance between what Kessil is doing with the AP700 and Philips is doing here. It would be interesting to see what 4-6 dense led clusters would look like behind a diffuser like this. Could that strike the balance ?
If you want balance shoot one AP700 led cluster through wax paper and leave the other led cluster alone.
Hummm. Scrap the wax paper. House burn down!

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, it's subjective. It's hard to see any shimmer in that video but don't get me wrong... I am sold on this light. I am just posing the question of what kind of results we might get from something like a cross between the AP700 and the CoralCare. Hypothetically speaking, maybe instead of two dense clusters, we have 6 smaller ones and the diffuser from the CoralCare. Wonder what kind of results we'd get from that?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After using this light I can tell you there is no need for the dense clusters at all. Distance from the water, surface agitation, and point source light are the three variables for glimmer lines. If you don't have much of one and amp up the others you will have more glimmer lines.

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After using this light I can tell you there is no need for the dense clusters at all. Distance from the water, surface agitation, and point source light are the three variables for glimmer lines. If you don't have much of one and amp up the others you will have more glimmer lines.
Gotcha. Well, I look forward to being able to see it in person!

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their FAQ cites roughly 40" x 30" coverage for one fixture. That's kind of an awkward spread for the typical 4' tank. Would a 4' mixed reef really need 2 of these?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, it's subjective. It's hard to see any shimmer in that video but don't get me wrong... I am sold on this light. I am just posing the question of what kind of results we might get from something like a cross between the AP700 and the CoralCare. Hypothetically speaking, maybe instead of two dense clusters, we have 6 smaller ones and the diffuser from the CoralCare. Wonder what kind of results we'd get from that?
For myself dense clusters= Hot spots and shadowing.
I want a slight led shimmer with T5 spread.
Simple plug and play with a tad of control is what all I want.
But that's JMO.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back