Testing the Philips Coral Care LED's claims - Are they realistic?

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their FAQ cites roughly 40" x 30" coverage for one fixture. That's kind of an awkward spread for the typical 4' tank. Would a 4' mixed reef really need 2 of these?

Think of each unit as an 8 bulb 24in sunpower in spread. I have done 36in tanks with sps and 24in sunpower no problem. On a 4ft tank if you have 2 you can grow anything anywhere.

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of each unit as an 8 bulb 24in sunpower in spread. I have done 36in tanks with sps and 24in sunpower no problem. On a 4ft tank if you have 2 you can grow anything anywhere.
Well my question stemmed from not wanting to need 2 on a 4' tank (mixed reef, primarily LPS) [emoji6]

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my question stemmed from not wanting to need 2 on a 4' tank (mixed reef, primarily LPS) [emoji6]

Yeah that's going to be tricky. I think the only fixture that can do that under $1k is the AP700.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's going to be tricky. I think the only fixture that can do that under $1k is the AP700.
That would be hard to pull off with a single Ap700 for corner to corner even spread.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand Philips built this into an already existing unit, but I sure hope they will be releasing the Coral Care in smaller fixtures.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gus6464, If you do mind, whats the dimensions on your unit?

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be hard to pull off with a single Ap700 for corner to corner even spread.
Not really. I have one over a 4' tank and it covers it corner to corner with no issue and at lower than their recommended 15". Obviously not for SPS on the edges but in terms of just getting good visual coverage without insane spillage,it works great.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are not getting anywhere close to even spread with the ap700 at that length but there is still usable light.

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not getting anywhere close to even spread with the ap700 at that length but there is still usable light.
Ok... Are you determined to just come up with some sort of way to disagree with me every time I post? [emoji33]

Sounds like 2 fixtures are needed regardless of your Coral needs with the CoralCare. I'm sure you can raise it up high for a mixed reef but I imagine the spillage will be high since it covers such depth. Look forward to seeing them in the US.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I have one over a 4' tank and it covers it corner to corner with no issue and at lower than their recommended 15". Obviously not for SPS on the edges but in terms of just getting good visual coverage without insane spillage,it works great.
Thanks, I meant SPS corner to corner.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... Are you determined to just come up with some sort of way to disagree with me every time I post? [emoji33]

Sounds like 2 fixtures are needed regardless of your Coral needs with the CoralCare. I'm sure you can raise it up high for a mixed reef but I imagine the spillage will be high since it covers such depth. Look forward to seeing them in the US.
How am I in any way disagreeing with you? I was responding to govols about his comment of the ap700 not providing enough light for a 4ft tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 16x14 if I am not mistaken.
Thanks!

I just found thier spec pdf which states 450mm x 350mm.

Comes to bout 17 7/8" x 13 7/8" .

Either way 2 units will be perfect spread on my RSM S-400 (Would have to cut the juice down though):)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea was on it!

Then they dropped the ball and just shoved AI Hydra's in a gull wing mount.
I wasn't buying their led upgrade kit after that release.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence @gus6464

Do you guys have any new pictures or more feedback on the "Coral Care".

I'd like to see someone put a BTA under one. My BTA's always freaked out under led lighting in the past.
They would never fully open up like they did under MH or T5.

Any feedback would be nice. Pros / cons / and neutral input.

Thanks, GoVols

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I will not be putting an anemone in this tank. Can't risk it. Don't want to deal with it.

One thing related, and that I was planning to report, is that red-tinted corals seem to not do well. Specifically red-tinted chalices. Two corals that were thriving under MH burned up and withered away. They were both frags - one a red with green eyes challice and the other a pink with green eyed one. They were both 4" off the sand and I even moved them to a shadier area to see if they might stop receding.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I will not be putting an anemone in this tank. Can't risk it. Don't want to deal with it.

One thing related, and that I was planning to report, is that red-tinted corals seem to not do well. Specifically red-tinted chalices. Two corals that were thriving under MH burned up and withered away. They were both frags - one a red with green eyes challice and the other a pink with green eyed one. They were both 4" off the sand and I even moved them to a shadier area to see if they might stop receding.
Thanks for your feed back and the honesty. Sorry for your frags :(
Seems like MH is still the king, for all coral species and anemones until proven otherwise.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feed back and the honesty. Sorry for your frags :(
Seems like MH is still the king, for all coral species and anemones until proven otherwise.
I wouldn't go that far. I think that it could possibly be the way I have dimmed them or my light cycle. User error is certainly a possibility here. And a bit of clarification is warranted as well. This was ONLY with two small coral frags I had. I have a Jason Fox Cherry Tree Monti that is doing absolutely awesome. I also have a two red setosas doing great. The one red chalice frag I do not know the name of, but the pink one was a Jason Fox Pink Jinx - sad to lose that one - if anyone has a piece - I wouldn't refuse it - to try and give it another shot.

Also, it is possible that the PAR was just too high and too much of a switch from the MH when i changed and stunted them and they could not recover.

Even if there was this small limitation, I would still endorse this LED over MH simply because of the power savings (for my wallet and environment), the controllability, as well as the heat issue (for some, not me).

Everyone that sees my tank with this LED says it is finally the LED that LOOKS MH. It grows coral like one too - I am seeing that already.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back