Testing Trident Calibration Fluid, Results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have not the greatest confidence in the hanna having recently had some pretty wonky readings from different reagent bottles (neither were close to expiration). Hanna had generally read pretty consistently about 0.5 dkh higher than trident. Then all of a sudden its reading 1.0 dkh lower than trident .... replaced the non expired reagent and now it’s back to about 0.3 dkh higher. I suppose the good news is that my tank looks fine at either reading LOL.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have not the greatest confidence in the hanna having recently had some pretty wonky readings from different reagent bottles (neither were close to expiration). Hanna had generally read pretty consistently about 0.5 dkh higher than trident. Then all of a sudden its reading 1.0 dkh lower than trident .... replaced the non expired reagent and now it’s back to about 0.3 dkh higher. I suppose the good news is that my tank looks fine at either reading LOL.

I guess sometimes Hanna releases bad batches of reagents. I ordered a new bottle for mine but have not received it yet. Years ago I got sent a bad reagent set for one of the kits. I don't remember which test it was, but it was reading way off from the previous batch that I had before. I called Hanna and they really did not seem all that interested, maybe it was just the guy I spoke to. He just asked me for my address and they sent out a replacement set. One major PITA with this hobby is that you need at least two of every kind of major test kit and sometimes even three to confirm which one of two is right :D ;Greedy
My third kit is typically API just because it's cheap and half the time they expire before I even use them once.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reloaded my Trident with new Reagents today and did a calibration again.
Tested the left over fluid using the Hanna tester and a fresh bottle of Hanna reagent.
Results are closer.
Second Alk Test.JPG

146 = 8.17 dKH
So 8.17 vs 8.10 this is well within the Hannas level of margin and kind of tells me that both Hanna Alk and Calc are pretty much spot on.

U

User1

View Badges
Reloaded my Trident with new Reagents today and did a calibration again.
Tested the left over fluid using the Hanna tester and a fresh bottle of Hanna reagent.
Results are closer.
Second Alk Test.JPG

146 = 8.17 dKH
So 8.17 vs 8.10 this is well within the Hannas level of margin and kind of tells me that both Hanna Alk and Calc are pretty much spot on.

How are you liking the Trident overall? I forget how long you have had it now.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Trident overall? I forget how long you have had it now.
It has been two months and so far I am really loving the Trident. At this point I just cannot ever imagine going back to hand test kits if I don't have to. I just wish someone would hurry up and come out with a "Practical" product that can tests a few more parameters like Phosphate and Nitrate.

U

User1

View Badges
It has been two months and so far I am really loving the Trident. At this point I just cannot ever imagine going back to hand test kits if I don't have to. I just wish someone would hurry up and come out with a "Practical" product that can tests a few more parameters like Phosphate and Nitrate.

Glad you like it. The other parameters would be nice. Maybe it is something they are looking at. Or maybe they just need more time looking at the existing data they have regarding the trident, use, reagent forecast and supply chain thing.

Will be interesting for sure. Hope all is well with you and yours!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the success of Trident, seems just a matter of time before there is a second 'box' to measure things like PO4 and NO3.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back