Testing: What does your test kit stash look like and how did our reef aquariums ever survive?

Do we test our water too much and for too many things nowadays?

• Yes

Votes: 162 31.5%
  • No

Votes: 255 49.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 92 17.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters

JFD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run ICP tests every month (sometimes more often), but test Alkalinity a couple of times a day with the Hanna Alk checker, Salinity, Po4 and No3 every week, Ca & Mg every other week...

Have the Apex checking pH and monitor that on a daily basis. Temperature also monitor that constantly.

Typically adjust the trace all traces and other macro elements (like strontium, potassium, etc) after each ICP along with the concentrations of the solutions on the dosing pumps...

Noob1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I interpreted the question as "can too much information can be a bad thing"? In that case, then yes, testing too often can definitely be a bad thing. Testing is a tool, but put in the wrong hands, it can have disastrous consequences (e.g. people chasing pH and crashing their tank). If I'm being honest, I've probably killed more corals testing and subsequently chasing numbers compared to simply listening to the corals and accepting the needs of my reef were met, even if the numbers weren't picture perfect. Anyone could argue that the testing isn't at fault, it's my knee jerk reactions- that's absolutely true. However, I find I make less knee jerk reactors if I'm not constantly testing and fretting over the results. Therefore, I've cut down on many of the tests I run and spend more focused on the visual clues to the health of the reef. If I suspect an issue, that's when I will pull out my test kits to confirm.
I agree, I am very much a newbie so test No3, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, phosphate, salinity and ph probably every other day depending whats going on and have had some strange readings when everything looks good in the tank, luckily I am quite chilled out or lazy so not acted on the readings and sure enough if all looks well the next time you test it probably will be fine. Trust your instincts I think

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping reefs since 1997 and my current 180 since 2002. Up until about a couple months ago, I was a fan of reading my tank to know what was going on. Cyanno, too much N & P - turn up the flow on the biopellet reactor. Calcium reactor, so I didn't pay attention to calcium, given excellent SPS growth. I do monthly water changes. Then like I said, I bought a few test kits. And after 23 years of doing things manually, I now chase numbers. And I feel more comfortable chasing numbers than guessing. Some of my tank parameters were as I would have expected after 18 years of no testing, and others were WAY out of whack. But I have been on a quarantine buying spree. 4 Hanna checkers, Nyos, Salifert, Milwaukee pH & ORP controller. And a couple bulk additives. I will gladly chase numbers going forward. Knowledge is key.
IMG_6119[1].JPG
I know the feeling on quarantining buying spree, the wife keeps catching me

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily/hourly: pH & Temp (Apex probes)
2X weekly: Alk (Hanna) & Phos (Hanna UL Phos)
1X Weekly: Salinity (Hanna)
1X Monthly Cal & Mg (Salifert) Nitrate (Red Sea) Trace Colors (Red Sea)
1X Annual ICP (whomever Triton et)

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling on quarantining buying spree, the wife keeps catching me
I got away with most of them, but the $200 Milwaukee controller took some convincing. I just over-explained some chemistry related stuff, until her eyes glazed over... She loves the tank, but mostly looking at it. She doesn't get into the details. It's all on me to maintain it. But I have been keeping reefs since before we met, and we've been married 19 years. So she knew what she was getting into.

JulianHuntToronto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once a week, I am using everything Hanna as well, even the Salinity pen, way easier than fussing with a refractometer - why guess colours etc when they provide a nice clear digital readout. Just remember to use them correctly. The only non-Hanna checker is for Nitrates which is Red Sea. Simply because they have not made one yet.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once a week, I am using everything Hanna as well, even the Salinity pen, way easier than fussing with a refractometer - why guess colours etc when they provide a nice clear digital readout. Just remember to use them correctly. The only non-Hanna checker is for Nitrates which is Red Sea. Simply because they have not made one yet.
I keep wondering the same thing. I want to buy a Hanna nitrate tester, if only they made one...

MasterReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Kits and testing devices! How did we ever reef without all the test kits and devices we have today? Let's talk about that and them today!

1. What does your test kit stash look like? List all your testing kits and devices.

2. How did our reef tanks ever survive without all the test kits and devices that we have today?

test too much.jpg
I believe in testing early and often in the first 6 months of setting up your tank so you get it dialed in. As the tank cycles and you level off in the addition live stock it's not as important. If you're husbandry methods stay the same the test results are gonna stay the same. I only test 3-4 times a year after my tanks are up and running.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my first reef ever survived on blind luck and constant water changes, I don't think I ever tested that first tank. Alkalinity? What's that? Calcium? Like a tums? Salinity? Yes.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my first reef ever survived on blind luck and constant water changes, I don't think I ever tested that first tank. Alkalinity? What's that? Calcium? Like a tums? Salinity? Yes.
You know, I used the same plastic swing arm salinity checker for probably 15 years. I didn't buy a refractometer until about a year or 2 ago. Somehow my tank survived....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. What does your test kit stash look like? List all your testing kits and devices.

I rarely test but do when something seems to be off. I also send in water sample for ICP test 2X per year.
I have Hanna Alk and PH kit. I have Elos for CA and Mag and salifert for KH

2. How did our reef tanks ever survive without all the test kits and devices that we have today?

As hobbyists, we depended on both books and taking educated guesses. Many of us endured Loss but really didn't talk about it .
Today we find many taking lots as tests as they tend to chase numbers and target values

Sirspeedy77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dialing in dosing, as I’m doing now. After adding livestock and 20% water changes. I test daily until I can confirm stability of dosing. My test kits are cheap insurance and an easy way to find imbalances. I use Salifert and Geisemann for the big 3+ po4. It may be abundance of caution but I’m happy with it for now. Blow through a 20$ test kit in 90 days or stretch it to 5 months? I’ve got colonies that are worth more than a years worth of test kits . I try not to chase numbers but will stretch out my adjustments over several days, while testing to maintain a good adjustment schedule etc.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh. Everyone is different. I’ve seen jaw dropping tanks that are rarely tested for anything besides alk. And crashing tanks that do icp tests regularly. And vice versa. If it makes someone happy. Test away. You’re helping feed someone’s family along the line somewhere

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to own a cheap ammonia test kit that I never use, but other than that, I rely on my Apex and Trident to keep an eye on things.

In the past, the only thing I tested for semi regularly was calcium which was tested every week or two. I dosed a simple one part powder for calcium and alkalinity daily and it’s uptake was extremely consistent.

I never tested any other parameter. I wait 6-8 weeks from the beginning of the cycle to begin adding livestock and I usually place a test coral in around 4-6 months from the time water goes in to the display. I never tested ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphates, anything else. When algae is growing on the rocks, you have too much phosphate and waste products.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I rarely test but do when something seems to be off. I also send in water sample for ICP test 2X per year.
I have Hanna Alk and PH kit. I have Elos for CA and Mag and salifert for KH

I have cheap API test kits for Ammonia, Phosphate and pH, NYOS for Nitrate, Red Sea for Calcium and Magnesium and Alkalinity, and also Salifert and Hanna for Alkalinity. I also just did my first ICP test. All corals still rapidly die in my tank.

As hobbyists, we depended on both books and taking educated guesses. Many of us endured Loss but really didn't talk about it .
Today we find many taking lots as tests as they tend to chase numbers and target values

Well, in my case, it didn't survive!
As far as books and educated guesses, those have helped with my success keeping fish and motile inverts (snails, urchins, crabs, etc). They're sort of bioindicators if you observe them critically and often. I think you can do well in most situations with these types of inhabitants with little to no testing as long as you use RO/DI, do frequent enough water changes, and observe often.

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other because honestly I do not test unless something looks wrong. I have been running tanks for quite some time and have learned to watch the inhabitants to see if there is something askew.

I use to chase the numbers and try to get everything exactly perfect. But honestly, over the years I have found that the corals tell you if there is something incorrect.

With that said, I do have current test kits at the ready and do use them from time to time. I also test regularly when setting up a new system.

Cheers,
Alex

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D401CF14-1434-42B4-9ACC-F73647C3FEEC.jpeg

waiting for a Hannah nitrate to come to market over here.
I can’t imagine how old school reefers got by with no water changes or test kits. The best advice I can give a new reefer is, to invest in quality test kits and YouTube the proper way to use them.
As one of those old reefers, I relied on the tests I had and was very sensitive to any visual clue. Worked for me for a long time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back