Testing: What does your test kit stash look like and how did our reef aquariums ever survive?

Do we test our water too much and for too many things nowadays?

• Yes

Votes: 162 31.5%
  • No

Votes: 255 49.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 92 17.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also running a GHL KH Director and Profilux to test and monitor things too. To top it off I have an ION Director on pre order. I run ICP tests 1 per every 3 months.

KNOWLEDGE is POWER.
Testing our water allows us to be more successful than ever before. I’m really a new reefer IMHO, I’ve only been doing this for 8 months and my tank is doing well. My success so far is truly because I test my water and see what needs to be done before anything bad happens.

49D23794-651B-4F78-AA97-3D39774A81F2.jpeg
I used to live in Surprise and everyone out there is crazy, haha. JK.

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert alk, ca, and mag. I test mag a couple times a year probably. I test alk several times a week. Ca gets tested once a month or so. As long as I'm keeping alk and ca in range my mag should be good. If my algae is getting bad I know PO4 and probably nitrates are on the rise.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I used the same plastic swing arm salinity checker for probably 15 years. I didn't buy a refractometer until about a year or 2 ago. Somehow my tank survived....
I still have the same swing arm from my second tank from 10 years ago LOL *cough*cough*I still use it *cough*

DHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing once every week or two, but mostly watch the action of my corals. I am a newbie here with a 24 gallon tank operating for 11 months. I haven't lost any corals yet, but my Pipe Organ is struggling.
API Master Reef Testing Kit
Seachem Marine pH and Alkalinity.
My pH runs low, less than 8.0 and I have to dose weekly with Seachem Marine Buffer.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, sorry for the delay, I was setting up lol.

I use Hanna for ALK, phosphates, salinity/temp, Salifert for nitrates, Red Sea for calcium and iodine, and Aquaforest for magnesium. I usually test ALK daily, phosphates 3-5x week, salinity/temp weekly during water change, nitrates, calcium, and magnesium biweekly, and iodine once a month.

Although I feel that testing is paramount in the beginning stages, easing off a bit after 3-4 months is doable judging by the look of your corals. I tend to test often due to the smaller water volume in my Nuvo 40.
48A2AEB5-6271-47AE-837F-2BEC70C4A658.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still less than a year old, and I’m finally settling into a rhythm. Weekly water changes of 15-20%, and every three days I test:

Salinity / temp — Hanna
Alk — Hanna
Phosphate — Hanna
Nitrate — Salifert
Ca — Salifert
Mg — Salifert

If I ever get comfortable with my parameters then maybe I’ll move to weekly. But not yet! Haha

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef kit stash is in a drawer that I never open and they are all no doubt expired. I hate testing which is why I stay away from acros and many SPS. I only tested PH, alk, calcium, nitrates and phosphates anyhow. I do still watch my salinity however and adjust with the weekly water change.

I decided a while back since I am a lazy tester to keep a high nutrient tank and do 10% water changes weekly. That seems to be working for me as my fish, coral and macro algae are all thriving.

MThorne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the bright wells microbacter7. I've tried a few now and it seems to get the best results. Combined with red sea no pox, and bright wells phosphate e my nutrient levels are finally looking good. I was at 100 nitrate and 1.41 phosphate one month ago. Now 10 nitrate and .31 phosphate

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my perspective there are two keys for testing and it is not so much a matter of too much or too little:

1) Test a parameter enough to get a clear picture of the trend of that parameter. Not enough testing could lead to the yo-yo effect. When you get a result you don't know if the parameter is trending up or down so you could make a correction pushing it in the wrong direction. So if you get a measurement that is low or high additional tests the next 2-3 days would give you a trend and help make your correction decision. The uptake (depletion) as well a buildup of different parameters vary with several tank conditions...Lighting, temperature coral growth, feeding schedules or different types of food as well their interdependence (Ca-Mg as example). This means that they can change their rates of depletion and buildup. So if you change something....Lighting Schedule...Start dosing...New feeding schedule...New food...etc. Addition testing my be required to see how the change may have effected your parameter trends. To get the best look at these trends it is helpful to take your water samples the same time of day and test them soon after sampling, not letting them set for extended periods (more than 1 day). The reason for the same time of day is that some parameters have a daily cycle pH as an example. The reason for not storing your samples for extended periods of time is that the water is bio-active and and there is indication that some parameters are impacted by this bio-activity.

2) Conduct your tests correctly. Make every effort to get the best accuracy and precision you can...Because the measurement gives you direction....If it is wrong you go the wrong way! I have written 4 articles about this topic that goes into details about testing. Here are the links:

Part 1 https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/getti...count-by-using-a-quality-system-approach.741/

Part 2 https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/part-...tem-approach-colorimetric-visual-testing.744/

Part 3 https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/part-...etric-visual-testing-methods-what-we-see.747/

Part 4 https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/part-...ric-instrumental-testing-methods-digital.748/

rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my water often, Not because I think there is a problem, but because I want to avoid a problem or know if one is developing. It has been said; successful reefers keep water not fish and corals. That is my goal, keep good quality water, then let the water support the inhabitants.

I test alkalinity, salinity and PH every other day. (Hanna Alkalinity tester and Hanna Salinity and PH pen)
I use Hanna checkers to test for Calcium, Nitrite, Phosphate every Friday.
I also use Saliford test kits every other week for Magnesium, Iodine, potassium and Strontium.
Lastly I test Nitrate weekly using whatever test kit is on sale when I need a new one. (Hopping Hanna comes out with the one they are developing soon).

I know many people think I test too much. Thant is fine, and their opinion. My testing schedule keeps me up to date and I like to be hands on in my reefing. I like tank maintenance. There I said it.

To me there really is no way to test "too" much but everyone need to find the balance that works for them and the life they keep in their glass (Acrylic) box.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my water often, Not because I think there is a problem, but because I want to avoid a problem or know if one is developing. It has been said; successful reefers keep water not fish and corals. That is my goal, keep good quality water, then let the water support the inhabitants.

I test alkalinity, salinity and PH every other day. (Hanna Alkalinity tester and Hanna Salinity and PH pen)
I use Hanna checkers to test for Calcium, Nitrite, Phosphate every Friday.
I also use Saliford test kits every other week for Magnesium, Iodine, potassium and Strontium.
Lastly I test Nitrate weekly using whatever test kit is on sale when I need a new one. (Hopping Hanna comes out with the one they are developing soon).

I know many people think I test too much. Thant is fine, and their opinion. My testing schedule keeps me up to date and I like to be hands on in my reefing. I like tank maintenance. There I said it.

To me there really is no way to test "too" much but everyone need to find the balance that works for them and the life they keep in their glass (Acrylic) box.

I very much agree with this philosophy thank you for sharing

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test weekly to keep a pulse on my system. This allows me to make subtle adjustments to maintain stability.

No3 - API
Salinity - Refractometer
Mg - Salifert
Alk - API
Ca - API...probably switching to Hanna later

Survivability was probably achieved by slow adjustments and/or luck ;)
The hanna cal is pretty crappy. I had it and sold it. The hanna alk is without a doubt the best test EVER

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back