Testing

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your rationale behind not trying higher ALK? Due to dosing and holding that #?
Yes.
My ipinion:
For a new reefer stability is the key. Once you see you are getting growth and not watching your SPS frags wither away you can play the "higher alk = more growth" game. Higher alk = usually means more of every other element. With higher alk comes the chance something will go awry and you get an alk spike either + or - and you will see your SPS start to go down hill.

Think race car motor. The more you modify it for power the more you need to change other components to match the new output. Hopefully the motor does not blow up in the process.

5am.... hope this makes sense

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
My ipinion:
For a new reefer stability is the key. Once you see you are getting growth and not watching your SPS frags wither away you can play the "higher alk = more growth" game. Higher alk = usually means more of every other element. With higher alk comes the chance something will go awry and you get an alk spike either + or - and you will see your SPS start to go down hill.

Think race car motor. The more you modify it for power the more you need to change other components to match the new output. Hopefully the motor does not blow up in the process.

5am.... hope this makes sense
For sure makes sense. I run mine at 10.0 but more testing by me is done because I run it at that higher level. I don’t even keep SPS, I run the ALK that high because it keeps the PH in my tank higher. One of these days I will try running my skimmer line to the outside World and then would prefer to run my ALK at 9 or lower.

The coralline algae in my tank is almost at annoyance level. Other parameters are as follows:

Salinity - 1.026
PH - 8.0 - 8.2
KH - 10.0
Cal - 475
Mag - 1400
Phosphates - .06 - .10
Nitrates - 5-10 ppm

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may do some softies first
I started with softies and then as my tank matured added LPS. I’m not that interested in SPS. I like the flow and movement of LPS & softies.

Maybe some day I will add SPS just not that interested at the moment.

OP
OP
Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with softies and then as my tank matured added LPS. I’m not that interested in SPS. I like the flow and movement of LPS & softies.

Maybe some day I will add SPS just not that interested at the moment.
Thats what im shooting at but i thought that was mixed reef

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back