Teton mountain reef~ IM 200 Peninsula!

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks man it's been a money pit and taking over a year and a half but we are all most done.
then I can start on the fun stuff, the actual tank build. :D
LOL, I know the feeling, my wife and I were remodeling the house for 5 years. Which lead us to buy this one brand new with now remodeling required.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I know the feeling, my wife and I were remodeling the house for 5 years. Which lead us to buy this one brand new with now remodeling required.

I wanted to build but the GF did not. the cost to build around here is crazy heigh around 300-400 SQF
so this is what we did. its tirning out nice but man tons of work and $$ into it basically a brand new home.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a lot of work just for a tank!

All jokes aside, you've done a great job on your house.
It will be worth it in the end.

Cant wait to see when you get to the tank build part of this.

I've never been to Wyoming, but it looks beautiful.
Wife would like to retire out to Wyoming, Montana, or Alaska...we'll see.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 20A dedicated line to the fish tank. more on that later.

Great job at building a new house. :D
If it’s not too late, you’ll want two circuit on the tank. Either 2x20A or 2x15A is better than a single circuit. Most likely you’ll have a GFCI somewhere(I hope). And these things sometime accidentally tripped. You don’t want your whole tank without power. If you have two circuits, you can split up the heaters, lights, pumps, etc so that the tank don’t completely shutdown during an accidental GFCI trip.

SaltwaterSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Deva,

Schuyler from Jackson/Alpine here. Crazy nice work you've been doing with the remodel and the tank room sounds amazing. Glad to see you made the switch to Victor/Driggs, hey it gets you a little closer to IF and Pocatello for livestock access. I am growing out a ton of colonies and am in the process of setting up a rubbermaid 50G frag tank system and a 90G Corner Bowfront display tank. One day in the future I'd love for you to swing by and I'll definitely save some nice frags for you as a tank-warming gift. Cheers man!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job at building a new house. :D
If it’s not too late, you’ll want two circuit on the tank. Either 2x20A or 2x15A is better than a single circuit. Most likely you’ll have a GFCI somewhere(I hope). And these things sometime accidentally tripped. You don’t want your whole tank without power. If you have two circuits, you can split up the heaters, lights, pumps, etc so that the tank don’t completely shutdown during an accidental GFCI trip.

yup the tank has its own 20A circuit right next to another 20A so I should be good there.
I hear the GFCI trip from time to time. might witch it back out for a normal one the breaker is arch fault GFCI anyway. thoughts?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Deva,

Schuyler from Jackson/Alpine here. Crazy nice work you've been doing with the remodel and the tank room sounds amazing. Glad to see you made the switch to Victor/Driggs, hey it gets you a little closer to IF and Pocatello for livestock access. I am growing out a ton of colonies and am in the process of setting up a rubbermaid 50G frag tank system and a 90G Corner Bowfront display tank. One day in the future I'd love for you to swing by and I'll definitely save some nice frags for you as a tank-warming gift. Cheers man!

nice man! good to see a local on R2R. I love to geek out with fellow hobbyist not many in there parts. would love to see your set up and get some frags from you.

yeah IF.is not to far now :D I have gotten a few frags from epic corals in pocky nice shop.
cant wait to get a ton of LPS in this tank. I like em big and fluffy :)

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup the tank has its own 20A circuit right next to another 20A so I should be good there.
I hear the GFCI trip from time to time. might witch it back out for a normal one the breaker is arch fault GFCI anyway. thoughts?
That’s good. Never rely on a single circuit for the tank.
AFCI is arch fault. It’ll sense a hot wire that is over current. Depending on your state code, it is required in all bedrooms.
GFCI is ground fault and sense wet wire reducing the chance of shock.
You can get AFCI and GFCI combination breaker. This is what I’m using at the breaker box. I don’t use the GFCI outlet, that false trip quite often.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good. Never rely on a single circuit for the tank.
AFCI is arch fault. It’ll sense a hot wire that is over current. Depending on your state code, it is required in all bedrooms.
GFCI is ground fault and sense wet wire reducing the chance of shock.
You can get AFCI and GFCI combination breaker. This is what I’m using at the breaker box. I don’t use the GFCI outlet, that false trip quite often.

yeah I got a couple combo breakers in the box along with GFCI breakers i'll take a look and see whats I have on the fish tank circuit.

need to update with more pics too. just trying to move. I got the fiji cube RFA tank over now the 40br "holding" tank that turned in to a year + long hold.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need to get us caught up to present day.

I dont know if you remember from the phot where we where taking out the floor. but you could see the basement "fish room" /mech room.

1st thing was to get this heavy old freezer out of there . yup took a concert saw to that.

20191029_150644(1).jpg

next up to knock out the wall behind that to rebuild it so it would support the weight of the new floor above. 20191219_154822.jpg

next up was to get some plumbing in there for a slop sink. you can see the lift station on the bottom left. we had to cut through the concrete to get the suck in.

I repurposed some real wood cabinets from the old kitchen and found a real cool cast iron sink at the restore.
20200729_143729.jpg 20200924_134457.jpg

Last edited:

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back