Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guess I should get us all caught back up:
sheets rock took us alot longer than it was suppose to. but it primed and painted

kitchen done.
for some reason it not letting me attach pics from the iphone drive...grrr but it came out nice black granit with a nice big marble island.

the murals wall in the living had to go. it was cool but smelled of old dank house so out it went. might replay it some day, also think if a nice 340 -10' fish only tank there if i can talk the other half into it. be so epic but one tank at a time...well 2 as I have to get the nano in here too.

IMG_0851.JPG IMG_0849.JPG IMG_0852.JPG

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it flooring time. lots of days spent on our knees installing the LVP.

was pretty impressed we did the kitchen, great room and living room and a hall way in one piece with no transitions.

20200808_152131.jpg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ you can see the Ro tubing coming from the wall i build in a 4 tube case for ATO and AWC.
I was thinking of an ikea cabinet behind the tank to hide the big 40W penair UV the the 'boss' said NO.

but I did get the go ahead to drill a hole in the floor in to the fish room in the basement if i want. not sure I will ro not. I will have mixing station for the AWC system and could do a bigger sump if I wanted to?

thoughts?

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby and your life will continue to evolve and change over time.
So your needs/wants with the system will change over time.
If possible, (Huge "IF", I get it), be flexible with your plans so that you can more easily adapt to changes in your life and in the hobby.

A bigger sump in the basement gives you more water volume and allows you to possibly add a frag system down the line. It also allows you to hide the equipment (like the UV sterilizer) downstairs out of sight.

For the plumbing from the tank down to the basement support system, (BSS for short) I would suggest cutting a hole in the floor the same size/shape as an air vent for HVAC system. This will allow you to cover it up easily with a simple off the shelf air vent for less than $15 at Home Depot or Lowes.

Just a suggestion.

Please keep up with the updates...I'm loving this thread.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby and your life will continue to evolve and change over time.
So your needs/wants with the system will change over time.
If possible, (Huge "IF", I get it), be flexible with your plans so that you can more easily adapt to changes in your life and in the hobby.

A bigger sump in the basement gives you more water volume and allows you to possibly add a frag system down the line. It also allows you to hide the equipment (like the UV sterilizer) downstairs out of sight.

For the plumbing from the tank down to the basement support system, (BSS for short) I would suggest cutting a hole in the floor the same size/shape as an air vent for HVAC system. This will allow you to cover it up easily with a simple off the shelf air vent for less than $15 at Home Depot or Lowes.

Just a suggestion.

Please keep up with the updates...I'm loving this thread.

great idea with the heat register! I was just thinking a hole in the bottom on the stand but i like the register idea!

I think I can get my hands on a 150 gal rubber maid stock tank for free or pretty cheap. that would be more H2O volume than my DT. probles is that would increase my daily % of AWC almost doubling it. more work for the Neptune dos more salt and more additives.
so not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze. at what point is there diminishing returns ???

IDK I guess I kinda need to decide pretty soon tho guess I will make a thread about it.

Traian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I just found this thread! Great story, and awesome tl see other fellow reefers in the area. I'm not too far from you in Ammon (Idaho Falls). I just got my peninsula tank going this summer, so still in the process of getting it filled. If you're ever in the Idaho Falls area, feel free to stop by and check out the tank. Maybe we could do frag swaps down the line. Welcome to Idaho!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I just found this thread! Great story, and awesome tl see other fellow reefers in the area. I'm not too far from you in Ammon (Idaho Falls). I just got my peninsula tank going this summer, so still in the process of getting it filled. If you're ever in the Idaho Falls area, feel free to stop by and check out the tank. Maybe we could do frag swaps down the line. Welcome to Idaho!

yeah I go to IF once a month or so. be nice to meet up. I love to geek out with fellow hobbyist. congrats on your peninsula there great tanks right!? what did you go with?

Traian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I go to IF once a month or so. be nice to meet up. I love to geek out with fellow hobbyist. congrats on your peninsula there great tanks right!? what did you go with?

My tank is a custom build tank (made by Glasscages). 84x48x32 (560 gallons) DT. Shoot me a PM, and I'll give you my contact info. Next time you come to IF please stop by!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a custom build tank (made by Glasscages). 84x48x32 (560 gallons) DT. Shoot me a PM, and I'll give you my contact info. Next time you come to IF please stop by!

dude I have been talking to joe for GC for some time about a large fish only tank ( if i get around to finishing the basement ) man those are some great dems. I gotta see this tank now! be in touch good sir!

Traian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude I have been talking to joe for GC for some time about a large fish only tank ( if i get around to finishing the basement ) man those are some great dems. I gotta see this tank now! be in touch good sir!
I highly recommend Joe and Glasscages if you ever looking to do a large custom build. Excellent quality and workmanship, with great customer service.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great idea with the heat register! I was just thinking a hole in the bottom on the stand but i like the register idea!

I think I can get my hands on a 150 gal rubber maid stock tank for free or pretty cheap. that would be more H2O volume than my DT. probles is that would increase my daily % of AWC almost doubling it. more work for the Neptune dos more salt and more additives.
so not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze. at what point is there diminishing returns ???

IDK I guess I kinda need to decide pretty soon tho guess I will make a thread about it.

Get a sump you can cover/put a lid on.
This will reduce your evaporation, help reduce temp swings and reduce the corrosion/salt water vapor damage to critical components of your house, (Like the HVAC system).
Might look into building your own sump so you can make glass lids or something similar to cover the sump. Acrylic will absorb a small amount of water and swell or droop. Glass does not. Chloroplast seems to be holding up okay but I have a much smaller system than you do.

You just basically rebuilt your house in Wyoming, over the winter, in the year 2020.
You can absolutely figure out a solution to this.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a sump you can cover/put a lid on.
This will reduce your evaporation, help reduce temp swings and reduce the corrosion/salt water vapor damage to critical components of your house, (Like the HVAC system).
Might look into building your own sump so you can make glass lids or something similar to cover the sump. Acrylic will absorb a small amount of water and swell or droop. Glass does not. Chloroplast seems to be holding up okay but I have a much smaller system than you do.

You just basically rebuilt your house in Wyoming, over the winter, in the year 2020.
You can absolutely figure out a solution to this.

yeah its just a matter if I want to or not. was gonna cover with glass 100% if i do.
was thinking about a DIY plywood sump but that seems a little over the top.
was just down on the fish room -needs so much love but was thinking of the RS sump just on a stand might be the best of both worlds.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah its just a matter if I want to or not. was gonna cover with glass 100% if i do.
was thinking about a DIY plywood sump but that seems a little over the top.
was just down on the fish room -needs so much love but was thinking of the RS sump just on a stand might be the best of both worlds.

If you can make the sump you already have work, I would start with that.
Unless you just have money lying around that you dont know what to do with?

Use ALOT of unions and spend the money on good Tru Union ball valves when plumbing.
If you think you may want a Union or Tru Union ball valve someplace, just put one there.
This will make maintenance easier, and will likely allow easier upgrades in the future.
Upsize your Unions and Tru Union ball valves when possible so as to avoid causing back pressure on your return pump. With my 120 I went up to 1.25 inch Unions/Tru Union ball valves from 1 inch plumbing because the inner diameter of the one inch Unions and/Tru Union ball valves was smaller than the ID of my 1 inch return plumbing. Going up to 1.25 inches gave me full one inch flow through the Unions and/Tru Union ball valves.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can make the sump you already have work, I would start with that.
Unless you just have money lying around that you dont know what to do with?

Use ALOT of unions and spend the money on good Tru Union ball valves when plumbing.
If you think you may want a Union or Tru Union ball valve someplace, just put one there.
This will make maintenance easier, and will likely allow easier upgrades in the future.
Upsize your Unions and Tru Union ball valves when possible so as to avoid causing back pressure on your return pump. With my 120 I went up to 1.25 inch Unions/Tru Union ball valves from 1 inch plumbing because the inner diameter of the one inch Unions and/Tru Union ball valves was smaller than the ID of my 1 inch return plumbing. Going up to 1.25 inches gave me full one inch flow through the Unions and/Tru Union ball valves.

I wish I had money laying around the reno cost where what most ppl pay for there home and we did not to anything to fancy :(

yeah I am gonna make the RS sump work for now and if for some reason i dont like it in the living room i'll move it to the basement.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some guys coming on monday to get the tank on the stand! woot woot little steeps forward make me happy :D

now to get really get serious about my manifold and get some plumbing part ordered.

StoneReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice handy work that’s going to be awesome when it’s all said and done. Gonna be renovating soon might put in a reef room. If the “boss” says yes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back