OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after 2 years things are starting to get real boys and girls...

as for method or style of reef I am gonna go all natural baby ....seed with real LR and LS dose different bottled bac. even get some fresh marine mud in there.

culture and feed live white worms & live clams as much as possible use ATS and under skim. still on the fence about the UV or not for water polishing .

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not much progress on the tank this week I did get it leveled that took a few hours.

been thinking about the plumbing. nit sure i want to do this but here is an idea...
wrap the RS plumbing pipe in vinel cut out the gate valve and replace it with a better one.
IDK some ppl like there gate valve but from what I here most enjoy a replacement.

prob. just go with 100% new plumbing but it's an idea.

I need to figure out my manifold plumbing and get that ordered.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thoughts on plumbing...

wondering if anyone has cut the red sea gate valve off and replaced it with a "better" one?
IDK by the time you find the right metric to standard part might just be easier to change out all the plumbing.

if I do that I am thinking of going all white as the stand id white I think it would look good with that black interior.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hate to say it but nothing really has happened with the build waiting on some strip lights that got lots on the mail.

still need to get the plumbing figured out been working tons but after the 31st I have a lot of time off to focus on the build so I hope to get a ton one and get it up.

on a side not I am thinking about adding a planted FW tank to the house. we have a lot of white in the house and live in an area where there is snow on the ground about 7+ months of the year so a nice tank full of green would warm the house up.
+ its art work, that is the pitch lines I am going to offer the other half to get her on board.

more to come...

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is gonna be dope!!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so latest hurdle...I guess I should say one more hurdle.
my pentair 40W UV will not fit under the red sea 650P I ordered it for the 750 that never happened. for some reason I thought it wold fit. its a few inches to long.

so I have 2 options:
1) move the tank out from the wall get an ikea cabinet to house the UV.

2) add the UV out side the tank. back coroner there is space there from the beam. but I would have a big black tube next to my pretty whit stand and walls & white washed beam. i dont care but you know how might...yeah you guessed it the other half.

3) another solution is to plumb the whole tank into the basement fish room where the mixing station was/is gonna go. I could mount the sump on a DIY table build the manifold plumb the UV and all that jazz down there. problem is I would have to drill through our new floors and get a pump rated for the head pressure. the only was that seem like an option are the reef flow pumps they they are prone to leaking at the O ring. but I could even get a stock tank to increase the sump volume it I wanted. not sure I need to tho more water to heat and dose.

#2 seems like the easiest and cheapest solution. but #3 could be alot of fun but will be alot of work most I was goona do anyway. #1 is just OK dont really want to move the tank so that prob. the last option.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done! Fun story. Looking forward to more!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my latest rendition of my Plumbing manifold :

Looks like if i want to use the UV I will need to plum it outside the stand I have a couple of Cubbies on each side that could potentially go in if I get the approval of the other half.

20201029_095521.jpg 20201029_100654.jpg 20201029_100635.jpg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have spend more hours than I care to admit thinking about the plumping.

1 min. I am thinking of going KISS and get use stand alond pumps for the gear easy to clean no manifolds to think about.

the next I am thinking no lets go through the new floor down in to the basement and do a not so epic but epic for me fish room.

then I am like why not take the middle ground and do an in sump manifold a little bit of both...
1st world problems i know but this is a big decision.

but in the mean time got my clear view lid! I had one for the 750XXL i never set up went with the tank.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO finally made a choice on the plumbing/sump set up.
after days of going back in forth I decided NOT to do a basement sump room for now.

the tank sits above a concrete wall from the old house and the newer add on then I added 6x6 beans for more support thus making it hard to go right below the tank to the fish room.
I would have to go into the yucky craw spas then back over to the room.

possible but every time there was a bug in the house I knew the other half would blame the fish tank...lol so for now I just decided to go with sump under the tank.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice job on the home renovation!! Was the mural wallpaper? It looks like you have a beautiful view around your home too.
The tank is going to be awesome!! I love peninsulas and would like to have one some day but need a bigger house first.
I vote for the basement sump with the UV down there too. I think it only needs to be plumbed directly to the display for Dinos but you won’t have that problem using ocean rock.
Following!

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is WOW! Great work man! Following along for sure. Great call on the wood stove and vaulted ceiling! Such a hard decision on the sump but it is a peninsula tank so if you can access sump from all sides that should t be too hard to work with. Can’t wait to see what route you go with this. Have you decided on lighting as well as what you will keep Sps, lps, mixed?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice job on the home renovation!! Was the mural wallpaper? It looks like you have a beautiful view around your home too.
The tank is going to be awesome!! I love peninsulas and would like to have one some day but need a bigger house first.
I vote for the basement sump with the UV down there too. I think it only needs to be plumbed directly to the display for Dinos but you won’t have that problem using ocean rock.
Following!

yeah a basement sump would be nice but where the tank sits it making it really hard. i'll try to get a photo or video of the "mixing station" room tomorrow.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is WOW! Great work man! Following along for sure. Great call on the wood stove and vaulted ceiling! Such a hard decision on the sump but it is a peninsula tank so if you can access sump from all sides that should t be too hard to work with. Can’t wait to see what route you go with this. Have you decided on lighting as well as what you will keep Sps, lps, mixed?

thanks its been a long journey for sure.

for lighting I will be using 2X 24" reef breeders photon V2+ I am thinking about a "floating canopy to help with the blue light spill. GF hates that. as all the rest of the lighting is a warm 2700-3K
It will be a mixed reef but more LPS then softies then SPS last. I love LPS and goegs .

yeah cant wait to move forward with this. I need to order some more parts for the plumbing its a real PITA trying to go metric to standard. many time I thought just to use the plumbing that came with the tank but in the end I new I would not be happy s better do it slow and right or right-ish? haha

thanks for coming along on the journey !

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back