OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
small little update I am SOOOO excited I fond two sources for some "rare" softies.
Stereonephthya/litophyton/Chromonephthya and a sinularia tht has lentage to one of my all time favorite tanks on you tube. you know there are lots of great tanks out there but this one has always WOWed me.

anyway I should be setting up my manifold and not coral shopping, but found the goods!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well zero progress yesterday evening, even tho I stared into the sump for about an hour move the pump and pipes around trying to come up with the best placement.

IDK why I am overthinking this dang plumbing. tank sould have been up and cycled by now....oh well gotta enjoy the process I guess.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xmass progress I got most of the manifold mocked up. but wanted to start using the black PVC and guess what i am out of 3/4" screws for the PVC clips. oh course I have 1/2" and some 1" witch are either to small or will go right through the back side of the peninsula cant have that...lol so I am on hold for now.

but it does fell good to have a plan and almost there. slowest build ever...

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a mock up pic.
I will feed UV -Ats- and carbon reactor and one spare.

20201225_131232.jpg

the UV will be on the top with a gate valve as the UV is to big for inside the stand.
the 2nd gate will be for the ATS and the two ball valves will be for carbon 1st one and flow for the future frag tank in front of the sump or macro display.

i will continue with the black and white theme...but gotta say the white PVC does look pretty good.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
happy new years everyone!
man just if i could make some time for the plumbing. seems like every time I get into it I have to leave for work. or something comes up. we are still getting the house together. today was supposed to be a morning working on the tank.....BUT the GF want to rearrange our bedroom.

any way here is a pic of where I am at. slowest plumbing job in the history of R2R...

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I have been waiting on a pkg from BRS that I ordered on the 30th. with my pieces of 1" silicone tubing so I can plumb in the UV around some tight turns and test the plumbing and tank with a FW test.

somehow and for some reason they sent it USPS. I have ordered 6 times from them in the last cpl months all came to my door via UPS. USPS can see that is what delivered to them but they have no idea where its at. hopefully the GF can stop by tomorrow and see if they found it. or I'll have to wait until Monday....

GRRRR this tank build is taking for ever.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the BRS pkg in now it time to plumb in the UV.
GF wish it was inside the stand again...
she said I would rather you drill a hole in the new floor for basement sump than have that thing by the tank....grrr I told here we talked about this a month ago and you said NO

its a good idea but i would need a bigger RT pump + heat that part of the basement. so its not gonna happen anytime soon maybe net year I will come back to the thought of a basement sump along side my mixing station.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowest plumbing job ever...
But got 95% done.

Had a few mishaps along the way yesterday.

yeah the back side of the RS 650P is cheap butt press board laminated was messing with the plumbing clips and it just popped out. very disappointed with the build quality of the stand.
20210114_161826.jpg

next mishap true union ball vales snapped good think I had another or it would be a week or more for replacement.
20210114_162020.jpg

one of many solutions I tryied for the UV 1" flex hose that I was bending to see if I could use it for the return of the UV as I had to use my 3/4" black flex.
20210115_105344.jpg

all that happened within an hour....

made one heck of a mess.... guess that is why I waited intil the GF was out of town to get after it. I find its easier to work when shes not here.
20210114_183151.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I am happy with how it turned out. Lots of right plumbing here.

the gate vales on the left go to the ATS and the UV
the ball vales on the right go to BRS mini reactor and a spare. The manifold is powered by its own controllable DC pump.
20210115_104547.jpg

pretty tight in there...
20210115_104659.jpg

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next mishap true union ball vales snapped good think I had another or it would be a week or more for replacement.
20210114_162020.jpg
Thanks for this picture. I guess you don't know your own strength! But you've just convinced me to never use a true union ball valve. I have usually used the inline slip or threaded ball valves anyway. My uncle, a few years ago, had that happen to a toilet fill pipe, while he was out of town. The coupler where it goes into the bottom of the toilet bowl, broke just like your flange did. He came home to 2 feet of water in his house.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this picture. I guess you don't know your own strength! But you've just convinced me to never use a true union ball valve. I have usually used the inline slip or threaded ball valves anyway. My uncle, a few years ago, had that happen to a toilet fill pipe, while he was out of town. The coupler where it goes into the bottom of the toilet bowl, broke just like your flange did. He came home to 2 feet of water in his house.

well in defense of the ball valve, I was trying to get the 1/2" threaded nipple out of the T and trying to tighten it so I could get leverage to get it out...that did not turn out so well.

oh man that sucks I would be so bummed with 2' of water in out new house. I think that is one reason why this plumbing job as taken for ever. that and deciding what is "best"

anyway thanks for stopping by the build thread. :)

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another update on the slowest build thread ever...
got a new check valve on the down stairs slop sink, so when the lift pump goes off its does not shake the whole house. not sure when the plumper did not use one of these in the 1st place??

next up i was about to do a FW test on the plumping and found out i forgot to glue one joint. glad i found that...so its glued up and drying now. hopefully I can test tomorrow and if all is good drain it and start the long slow fill with rodi.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the FW test failed. somehow the down pipes where leaking. that was stressful.
had to take a few days break from the aquarium but this AM 1st part of the FW test seems to be going good. ( knock on wood )

however I cant seem to keep my siphon lock in to be quite I am using a spears gate valve get it "right" but then a few min. later it goes into full siphon. adjust it then a few min. later happens again.
anyone have thoughts?

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! Your house is awesome. You did some really nice work. Hopefully you got to rip some Jackson Hole pow this season. You guys have been getting pounded. I’m at Alta this year and it’s been great. I’m officially following, and looking forward to seeing your killer rock work in this tank.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! Your house is awesome. You did some really nice work. Hopefully you got to rip some Jackson Hole pow this season. You guys have been getting pounded. I’m at Alta this year and it’s been great. I’m officially following, and looking forward to seeing your killer rock work in this tank.

I ski the gee! as I moved from JH to victor that is where the house it at :)
yeah it been a great year I try to get out as much as I can but this last week when its been dumping I have been busy :(

its a slow build but getting there...slow and study wins the race. when that is what I keep telling myself anyway .

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gee. Ive never skied it. Been to Jackson hole a few times. You guys have been getting pounded! Next time I’m out there I’m heading to grand targee as I’ve wanted to ski it. Keep up the good work and ski some pow.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gee. Ive never skied it. Been to Jackson hole a few times. You guys have been getting pounded! Next time I’m out there I’m heading to grand targee as I’ve wanted to ski it. Keep up the good work and ski some pow.
grand thargee = the gee what locals call it.
you will love it. it's a great resort.

thanks hopefully soon I'll get the cycle going and be able to add fish come spring.

Back