TexAgReefer's 235 ZEOvit SPS Dominant Reef

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my current dream build! It may be my 10-20 year tank, but we all know how this goes so I'll stick with "current" for now.

I've been in the hobby for about 7 years. Started out with a 75g but we moved and it did not go with me. I've had a smaller reef, started as a 30g but now a 50g cube, for the last 3+ years and it's been great but I've been dreaming up this build for a long time now. I finally got the opportunity so here we go!

Tank/Stand:
Tank: Planet Aquariums custom 72"L x 30"W x 25"T Rimless ~235 gallons
Stand: Planet Aquariums Mocha Elegance 36" tall - Also slightly custom as I am having them place a door on the left side for my controller panel

Substrate:
Rock
: 100 lbs Marco dry rock, 50 lbs Marco shelf rock. I think this will be enough as I'm going for a more minimalist look with a lot of dead space up top for SPS growth and ALL of the fishes I want.
Sand: 90 lbs of Tropic Eden Miniflakes. I've been a huge fan of Tropic Eden for a long time. The miniflakes are big enough (2mm) that they shouldn't blow around too bad in a high flow environment, but certainly small enough for my wrasses and sand dwelling creatures.

Equipment:
Overflow: Modular Marine 1800gph external overflow. My goal is ~ 1000-1200gph so that should be plenty
Sump: Custom sump from Modular Marine. Mimicking the Trigger Systems CR44 but wider, a little longer, a few extra features, 7" socks(considering the Klir DI-7), and a built in 15g ro reservoir
Return: Neptune COR-20. I am not plumbing for 2 return pumps, but will have a second on hand for easy swap if necessary
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155. Will never use anything else!
Flow: 4x Ecotech Marine MP40WQD. I have a couple of MP10s on my current tank, may put them on the back wall down the road, we'll just have to see how the flow is
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 200SSS
Lighting: 61" Aquatic Life T5 (2x Blue+, 2x Coral+), 4x Ecotech Marine G5 XR15s. I am still considering the Kessil 360s. Open to inputs here
Sump Light: AI Prime Fuge
Heater: Finnex HMA-S 300W x2 House stays around 72-74 so I shouldn't have any problem regulating temp
Controller: Full Apex and FMK for return flow monitoring
Carbon: BRS Deluxe reactor for carbon, can mix gfo if needed
Dosing: I will use 2 part dosing initially but plan to use a Calcium reactor once things start to take off.

System:
I'll be going full ZEOvit for this system. For some all of the dosing is too much and tedious, but for me it is fun and it really keeps me in tune with my tank. Still trying to decide which reactor to use (I was going to go with the Skimz ZAR-157 but no one carries them in the US anymore). I still haven't decided if I'll use the zeospur for those pastel colors the system is known for. Probably not, but I still think the ZEOvit system is perfect for me.

Here is my current fish list with quantity and desire (High/Medium). It is definitely not final, but I plan to have a lot of fish.:
1594324596408.png

Lots more to come. I will do my best to keep this picture heavy! With that said, here's the first picture. My first big order came in today and my wife sent it to me. Needless to say, I think she's already beginning to wonder what she agreed to!
IMG_8733.jpg

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u can find some real live rock add some it will help u a lot in the long run with zeovit.
So I put brightwell bio brick in my sump of my 3 yr old tank. I figured I’d leave it in there a month or two and then transfer it to this tank. Will that accomplish the same thing?

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I put brightwell bio brick in my sump of my 3 yr old tank. I figured I’d leave it in there a month or two and then transfer it to this tank. Will that accomplish the same thing?
I don't know how u start your old tank but a real live rock from the ocean has multiple strain of bacteria and multiple microorganisms which benefit greatly for your tank.

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how u start your old tank but a real live rock from the ocean has multiple strain of bacteria and multiple microorganisms which benefit greatly for your tank.
Started with dry rock. So if by real live rock you mean from the ocean, then I don't know where I could get that. I'll have to find some. But I will definitely try.

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP on the liverock after QTing the rock. I like my G5 xr15. Tail spot is my favorite blenny. Regal angel from Maldives will be available in December thru February

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP on the liverock after QTing the rock. I like my G5 xr15. Tail spot is my favorite blenny. Regal angel from Maldives will be available in December thru February
Thanks! Anything special to QT the live rock? Just put it in water with a heater and pump?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep and watch for things you may not want in your display. Crab/shrimp traps work well. Although mostly what you will find are red emerald crabs which are good.

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep and watch for things you may not want in your display. Crab/shrimp traps work well. Although mostly what you will find are red emerald crabs which are good.
Would it work just as well to put it in the sump after QT? That way I can continue to monitor for a while. I know bacteria don't live in the water column, but they should still make it to the DT and colonize on the rock in the DT right?

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Exciting day today!! Drove down to Austin to pick up my sump from Modular Marine. It’s exactly what I was wanting.

60”x24”
Dual 7” socks
Probe holders
Heater holders
1st chamber is 15.5”x24” for skimmer/zeo reactor
2nd chamber is 15.5”x24” for fuge
(Both chambers are height adjustable)
Bubble trap w/sponge
- I have 6 holes for the 1/4” murloc quick connects over the bubble trap. This seemed like a great place for dosing tubes to go as it should be the highest flow with surface agitation for good mixing
Return chamber
10”x24” RO tank on the end
Lids over socks, return, and RO

Couldn’t be happier with it. Brian at MM truly delivered on my requests and at an incredible price!

BC6D94D4-912C-4392-95EF-FAC4F6D3A67E.jpeg
1D134A0A-BDD8-4B2A-933E-74EE58A8EF42.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard from a very reliable source that KP Aquatics has very clean live rock. That’s were I plan on getting 60 or so pounds to help seed my new tank.

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard from a very reliable source that KP Aquatics has very clean live rock. That’s were I plan on getting 60 or so pounds to help seed my new tank.
Yeah, so I did some digging. KP has 2 types of live rock. I’ll be getting some of the Starter Aquacultured live rock. I don’t want all of the stuff that comes on their aquacultured rock, just the bacteria. I messaged them and it sounds like it should be pretty clean. I’ll put it in the sump and then go fishless for 76 days just to make sure it doesn’t pass on any fish parasites. Didn’t want to go that long without fish, but I’m going to take every measure I can to avoid it.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so I did some digging. KP has 2 types of live rock. I’ll be getting some of the Starter Aquacultured live rock. I don’t want all of the stuff that comes on their aquacultured rock, just the bacteria. I messaged them and it sounds like it should be pretty clean. I’ll put it in the sump and then go fishless for 76 days just to make sure it doesn’t pass on any fish parasites. Didn’t want to go that long without fish, but I’m going to take every measure I can to avoid it.
That’s where I plan on keeping it as well, in the sump. I will cycle it though beforehand to keep any algae from getting in my new tank. The bacteria from the ocean is second to none, and like you, I plan on mainly having SPS, so I want it to have a much of a head start as possible.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 8.3%
Back