Texas Man Dies from Apparent Exposure to Palytoxin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin from zoanthids is a well known and widely documented potential danger from our reef aquariums that we have tried to keep in focus many times over the years. Toxicologists have ranked palytoxin as one of the most dangerous natural poisons in the world second only to toxins originating from the ebola virus. So as…
Source

Continue reading...

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin from zoanthids is a well known and widely documented potential danger from our reef aquariums that we have tried to keep in focus many times over the years. Toxicologists have ranked palytoxin as one of the most dangerous natural poisons in the world second only to toxins originating from the ebola virus. So as…
Source

Continue reading...
Wear gloves and eye protection. Don’t have any small cuts on fingers, hands, arms that are put into tanks to work. Don’t touch your mouth, eyes, face. Probably wear a face shield and mask. Wash or dispose clothes you worked in.

years of experience snd no problems snd just this past sunday had to bring home a nice bright green speckled paly grande (the most toxic of all), one large polyp and two small attached to other polyps on a small rock in office tank. I broke all the rules and nearly had the same results. Fortunately by next day I was better. But was pretty bad. I know better, had all the equipment and was just in a rush snd careless. Don’t do it. I won’t do it again.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the article

"Mr. Linton could have been exposed to Palytoxin but it is unclear how this could have happened or if that was actually the cause of death."

but the headline makes it sound like it was from palytoxin.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source

Continue reading...

What were these 'toxicologists' smoking?

For real, palytoxin is a strong toxin but it pales in comparison to numerous others. And Ebola toxins what?? There's no such thing.

Seriously I feel this sentence was just made up by a Scaremonger at RB...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
From the article

"Mr. Linton could have been exposed to Palytoxin but it is unclear how this could have happened or if that was actually the cause of death."

I'd be interested in a autopsy report

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if he came in contact with them while doing "maintenance" or if he just came in contact with the water they were in and died from exposure from toxins in the water?

I mean anyone with a SW tank thats mature enough to support corals should know about Palytoxin. If we are now discovering that they can release this into the water column in a concentration thats potent enough to kill you, then thats a game changer! At least in the 20 years I have been in this hobby I have never herd of such a case... However Snowpocolyps here was pretty brutal and a lot of folks lost their tanks due to no power to keep the temps up so I could see something getting stressed out and releasing lots of toxins into the water. Many of us here went with out power for 72 plus hours in 8 degrees to 6 below zero!

Id sure like to know a lot more details on this incident...

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the hospital about 10 years ago 7 days do to this. I was just cleaning a tank that was running and getting rid of those blue/green skill palys.. one of the worst and painful experiences.. my white blood cells were over 20k, kings filled w fluid, Couldn't eat, extremely cold on the onset where I felt like ice was on me.. Thats the short version..

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were these 'toxicologists' smoking?

For real, palytoxin is a strong toxin but it pales in comparison to numerous others. And Ebola toxins what?? There's no such thing.

Seriously I feel this sentence was just made up by a Scaremonger at RB...
RB has always been about sensationalism.

Gail54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of Jan. this year, I am a born-again- reefer. I set up a 9.1 Gl Nano with LR and sand. It's now ready for fish and OMG I just read that some corals are toxic! - back in 2005 I was a newbie with a 200 Gl Saltwater Tank - and in 2007 I became deathly sick after being stung by a brown-yellowish Palythoa, as I was placing another coral next to it. It actually stretched out and stung me on the wrist. I had no idea at that time that that's what made me so horribly sick. I was in a coma for 8 hrs and had no balance when I awoke. I am still horribly sick today. It just never crossed my mind I became sick from a coral. Directly after getting sick I am one of many within the general public that has CFS - (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) - Fibromyalgia, MCS - (Multi Chemical Sensitivity) and PTSD (Post Tramatic Stress Disorder).

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of symptoms described with palytoxin poison aren't even part of its clinical effect on human biology.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the article

It's all about the headline for views and grabbing attention by the media. Whatever the reason was, it's unfortunate for his family.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very misleading headline.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hate for RB on r2r is creepy.

I used to appreciate the articles but it seems like lately there's too much pushing of certain products and not enough transparency as to RB's relationship with the products they write about, as well as click bait headlines like this that quite frankly do no good for the hobby.

Raising awareness for palytoxin is good, scaring hobbyists with stories of death that hasnt actually been confirmed to be palytoxin is irresponsible, in my opinion.

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas and Palys don’t sting. They also don’t move and reach. The toxin is an extruded slime containing the chemicsl palytoxin that enters through breaks in the skin or through the mucosa. The neurologic consequences can be severe, death can occur but rare. Severe neurological consequences in the short term, not likely long term. Enough in some cases to end up on a ventilator.
If an individual felt snd was stung, there may have been another critter like a fire worm that may have come in contact with. Resulting in neurologic symptoms and an anaphylactic reaction.

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to appreciate the articles but it seems like lately there's too much pushing of certain products and not enough transparency as to RB's relationship with the products they write about, as well as click bait headlines like this that quite frankly do no good for the hobby.
The article seems objective and relevant.. what more do you want? Raising awareness could hardly be irresponsible.
It might be less if he participated in this forum instead of a bot posting links to reef builders articles
Sorry, that doesn't make the case for anything really.... posting information... on the internet... in the proper place.. how dare he? And maybe he doesn't participate in forums because he just has a life?

You know I watch all of the RB videos and they are some of the best.
No doubt this guy is industry sponsored but I have seen him make critical remarks on multiple occasions which is more than can be said for a lot of other venues ("reefhacks" comes to mind).
Furthermore, people always say "don't take the advice if you don't see their tank". Well this guy shows himself to be quite skillful I think.
Thanks ReefBuilders.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back