Texas Red Sea Reefer 425xl Build

TexanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the saltwater hobby, but I have been researching for years. I didn't want to setup my tank until I was in a home long-term. Here is what I have so planned/ordered so far, I would really appreciate any/all advice, especially on small things that I might be missing (ie certain plumbing parts).

EQUIPMENT
Tank - Red Sea Reefer 425XL (ordered)
Skimmer - Nyos 160 [is this large enough?]
Powerheads - MP40 (x2) (ordered)
Return Pump - Reef Octopus Varios 4 (ordered)
Utility Pump - Sicce Ultra Zero
RO/DI - BRS 7 Stage + Chloramine Beast (ordered)
Lights - EcoTech Radion Gen 5 XR-15 Blues x3 [How loud and blue are these? should I just get the pros?]
Hanna Checkers - Alk/Phosphate/Nitrate/Salinity/Temp probe
Test Kits - Salifert Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/Phosphate
Refractometer - BRS
Heaters - 2x BRS Titanium 200w + Inkbird [Could I just set this up in an Apex instead of using an inkbird?] (ordered)
ATO Pump - Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Reactor - BRS Carbon Reactor Single
ATS - CW 100 Algae Turf Scrubber

SAND/ROCK/SALT
Rock - Carib Sea Liferock (40lbs normal rock + 40lbs Shapes)
Sand - Carib Sea Livesand (60lbs FIji Pink) [Should I go with fiji pink or special grade? I plan on having a mixed reef]
Salt - Tropic Marin Pro-Reef (ordered)

MAYBE PURCHASE
UV - 15 Watt Classic UV Sterilizer
Controller - APEX EL
Dosing - APEX DOS

PLANNED LIVESTOCK
2 Clowns
Midas Blenny
Tomini Tang
Melanurus Wrasse
Diamond Goby (After at least one year)

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine with the NYOS 160, I have it in my RS S650 system

Im not familiar with inkbird, but you want a temperature controller between Apex and the heaters for safety reasons. I tried using just Apex and it’s temperature probe to control heaters directly and it failed.

OP
OP
T

TexanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine with the NYOS 160, I have it in my RS S650 system

Im not familiar with inkbird, but you want a temperature controller between Apex and the heaters for safety reasons. I tried using just Apex and it’s temperature probe to control heaters directly and it failed.
What temperature controller would you recommend?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the saltwater hobby, but I have been researching for years. I didn't want to setup my tank until I was in a home long-term. Here is what I have so planned/ordered so far, I would really appreciate any/all advice, especially on small things that I might be missing (ie certain plumbing parts).

EQUIPMENT
Tank - Red Sea Reefer 425XL (ordered)
Skimmer - Nyos 160 [is this large enough?]
Powerheads - MP40 (x2) (ordered)
Return Pump - Reef Octopus Varios 4 (ordered)
Utility Pump - Sicce Ultra Zero
RO/DI - BRS 7 Stage + Chloramine Beast (ordered)
Lights - EcoTech Radion Gen 5 XR-15 Blues x3 [How loud and blue are these? should I just get the pros?]
Hanna Checkers - Alk/Phosphate/Nitrate/Salinity/Temp probe
Test Kits - Salifert Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/Phosphate
Refractometer - BRS
Heaters - 2x BRS Titanium 200w + Inkbird [Could I just set this up in an Apex instead of using an inkbird?] (ordered)
ATO Pump - Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Reactor - BRS Carbon Reactor Single
ATS - CW 100 Algae Turf Scrubber

SAND/ROCK/SALT
Rock - Carib Sea Liferock (40lbs normal rock + 40lbs Shapes)
Sand - Carib Sea Livesand (60lbs FIji Pink) [Should I go with fiji pink or special grade? I plan on having a mixed reef]
Salt - Tropic Marin Pro-Reef (ordered)

MAYBE PURCHASE
UV - 15 Watt Classic UV Sterilizer
Controller - APEX EL
Dosing - APEX DOS

PLANNED LIVESTOCK
2 Clowns
Midas Blenny
Tomini Tang
Melanurus Wrasse
Diamond Goby (After at least one year)
Sounds like an epic setup! I personally like the XR15 Blues but they do have a strong light blue color. If you want something more on the white end I suggest the Pros.

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome, I also just ordered a XL 425 (I live in Houston) and look forward to set up soon. I also went with the Nyos 160 for the skimmer but only went with 2 of the G5 radion pros, not blue. I was also advised to add some Reefbrites, but given the price of the build already am holding off for now. I bring this up because perhaps this would be a better way to bring up PAR without going with 3 XR30s.

As for your heater controller question I've been advised that it makes sense to spring for the Apex EL. I was talked into it from a friend and it seems like it is really worth it for the convenience and the EL is more than sufficient when compared to the base controller. You're going a little more high end than me so what is an extra $500 for the controller, especially if without you need to purchase alternative equipment anyway?

Also, do you plan to hook your top off to the RO/DI or will you be using a reservoir? It's my understanding that the OEM ATO unit is no bueno so I spent a little bit extra for a bigger unit that I can store in the empty chiller cabinet. You're exceeding my build in just about every regard except this one, so I figued it may be some low-hanging fruit for you.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to following your build!

Back