!!!TGC INNER CORE!!! BOTH WAYS it's a new thing I'm doing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Adam that is awesome you are changing it up a bit. I have just recently stared to appreciate corals in a whiter setting. My blues run 3 hour ramp up then blues, whites, and, t5 blue plus for 6 hrs then blue ramp down for 3 hrs. Seeing a coral for what it is and when it's all blued out is the way to go. Awesome job.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pumped to see your amazing collection in a new light. If they look that good in daylight I can only imagine.

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Anyway, where am I going with this? It hit me a few weeks ago (last one to the party perhaps) that people don't really use white light over there aquariums anymore."

Not true. This is the type of assumption that causes many to have many issues. Especially people new to the hobby. I run a full daylight/moonlight program that mimics natural light. Including transitions, I have 9 hrs. of white, 9 hours of blue (only 6 at full blue) and 6 hrs off. I like the look of the tank under sunlight and under moonlight. If I'm looking to buy corals I want to see them under both types of light. I can't speak for others, but my tank and corals are doing well with the mix. Remember, in nature, corals near the surface developed and thrive under all types of light. Even SPS corals.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great that you have the pictures both ways @Battlecorals . I got a few corals that not even looks like they picture the seller show b/c is under heavy blue light or photoshopped.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Adam that is awesome you are changing it up a bit. I have just recently stared to appreciate corals in a whiter setting. My blues run 3 hour ramp up then blues, whites, and, t5 blue plus for 6 hrs then blue ramp down for 3 hrs. Seeing a coral for what it is and when it's all blued out is the way to go. Awesome job.

Thanks a lot for the post. It can be hit or miss sometimes even expanding light cycles to include extremes of both can definitely have its aesthetic benefits.

It seems like some acros scream under blues, and I've got plenty that look meh, or muted as well. Generally darker bluer/purple type stuff will get lost in the blue glow but looks great under whites. Where an ordinary green will explode under blues far beyond many others we have high expectations for.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the transparency and accuracy from your pictures is one of the reasons you have become such a staple in the business. I really like the idea of the same coral shot under different spectrums. I personally am a huge fan of daylight still, I reluctantly run a LED/t5 combo and i do like it in some ways, but am nostalgic about my halides. Looking forward to drooling all over the catalog again.

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow on IG and love seeing the corals in both lights. Personally not a fan of running my lights all blue all the time so I appreciate knowing what corals will look like in my tank.

Deaf clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m just curious to what lighting you’ll go with once you can no longer use your halide bulbs. And much more improved LEDs will be once you transition.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"Anyway, where am I going with this? It hit me a few weeks ago (last one to the party perhaps) that people don't really use white light over there aquariums anymore."

Not true. This is the type of assumption that causes many to have many issues. Especially people new to the hobby. I run a full daylight/moonlight program that mimics natural light. Including transitions, I have 9 hrs. of white, 9 hours of blue (only 6 at full blue) and 6 hrs off. I like the look of the tank under sunlight and under moonlight. If I'm looking to buy corals I want to see them under both types of light. I can't speak for others, but my tank and corals are doing well with the mix. Remember, in nature, corals near the surface developed and thrive under all types of light. Even SPS corals.

I hear you man believe and I'm with you on this, but I think most people these days running led's don't see anything even close to an actual 10k, which is what I'd consider "white". The bluest halide bulb is still barely blue compared to most typical led "20k" settings.

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious to what lighting you’ll go with once you can no longer use your halide bulbs. And much more improved LEDs will be once you transition.

Ill cross that bridge when I get there. So far bulbs are still readily available, I have back up ballasts and my current ones have been running flawlessly for years.

Back