That’s Dr Acro to you: What is your most desirable advanced SPS coral?

What type of coral is your most desirable advanced SPS coral?

• Acropora

Votes: 273 82.5%
  • Montipora

Votes: 27 8.2%
  • Enchinata

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Stylophora

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 13 3.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s Dr Acro to you: What is your most desirable advanced SPS coral?

Are you a reef keeper that is looking for rare or unusual SPS corals? Maybe it is an acro, a montipora, an enchinata, or a stylophora. What is the most advanced SPS coral that you have kept? Is there an advanced SPS coral that you aspire to keep but you haven’t been able to keep yet? Maybe you don’t have it in your tank because of the price, the availability, or success rate, but what is an SPS that you hope to be able to keep in the future? In the discussion below, please let us know which variety of the coral type that you picked in the poll is your specific most desirable advanced SPS coral.

BigE_PurpleMonster.jpeg

Photo by @Big E

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At this point there is like 94% for Acro and 6% for Sylophora . Stylo are generally very easy and cheap. I would have guessed echinata in a far off second place. I would like to try an ice fire echinata again at some point. Haven't seen any locally, in some time. I had a small frag years back that had a melt down before settling in.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the beautiful pics I see of Acros, but no success yet after many failed attempts. Stylos and Pocis are the only sps I can grow with success. i had montis that were doing well in my previous tank, but during moving had stray voltage issue in the holding tub. About to get some more Montis soon I think. And trying once again at present with a couple inexpensive Acros. Found out that my yellowtail damsels like to nibble on the Acros, and only them so I put the Acros in no man’s land in the center.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Montipora for me, I’m collecting some absolutely beautiful Monti’s and they just so easy to keep and colour up.

I’ve grown Acropora and I can get them growing fast with polyp extensions like fluffy teddy bears, but keeping the colours like I know they have the potential for I find a challenge, then I’ve had STN of old colonies to over come. I’d rather just keep things simple and personally found the likes of Montipora, Pocillopora, Stylophora, Stylocoeniella, Seriatopora waaaaaay easier than most LPS .

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer acroporas but only because they don't enjoy killing their neighbors like most of my preferred LPS. I love elegance and galaxea but they're just mean.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora-Millepora grow pretty slow in my tank but there's just no beating the color you get out of them. Plus I love the way their longer polyps move in the water. Easily my favorite SPS even if I have mixed luck with them.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enchinata! 100% with no hesitation. I had a rainbow one a couple years back that was an insanely slow grower but it was unlike anything I had ever seen.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back