...THAT LAMP I LIKE IS NOT COMING BACK IN STYLE....:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So it has happened, Just last week. I don’t want to say finally, as in I have some feeling of relief about this, but I knew this day would eventually greet me. And I’ll confess, I am not without mixed emotions about it. You see, with only a few months left on my last three running Iwasaki lamps, I made the call to restock. Only this time, my triennial requisite, a mainline directly to EYE lighting, for the 250 watt 65k halide bulb, was met with a foreboding, “The lamp you purchased previously has been marked for discontinuation.” And, by discontinuation, he meant they are done. As in gone for good! The last 27 available 65k Iwasakis I will ever be able to get my hands on. That is it my friends, the end of an era is upon us. Quite literally.

Iwasaki screenshot.png

Now, I’m not exactly suggesting that this is the death of the halide bulb all together. Merely, that as the popularity of halides has been diminishing for at least a decade now, the popularity of this particular bulb, has been doing so for far longer. Reaching as far back as the introduction of the 10K even. And it's time has finally come. I’ll even go ahead and say, it’s with good reason, or at least no big surprise. The 65k is a seriously unflattering bulb for coral. By todays standards, most newer hobbyists would probably think there was something actually broken with the bulb at first sight. Mind you though, it’s a beautiful aesthetic. I mean I love it, and I will miss it dearly. As natural looking as artificial lighting can be. People have thrown the word “yellow” around for years regarding this bulb, but to me it’s just a really nice warm white. But, the thing is, this spectrum just will not produce the kind of visual effect, that pretty much any hint of bluer bulb will do. Even 10k. Other than the fact that PAR is really high, there not many other redeeming factors for typical home reef setups. But let me tell you this, I don’t know if I’d be where I am today, without the help of this bulb. And I mean that. I still very much believe that the best colors, and by far the most aggressive growth, I ever experienced, were in corals baking under the shine of the Sakis, overdriven on an m-80 magnetic ballast.

So I’m sitting here, and I don’t know weather to be nostalgic, or just accept it, and move on, because I have to contend with the fact that there will be a time now that I cannot run this bulb anymore. That is certain. But I’ve got, for the last time now, more sakis on their way, as I type this. I didn't buy all 27. Only 9, which is about 3-5 years worth, at the very most, I may really regret that decision. And it's very well likely I'll revisit this thread when the day eventually does come, that I have unscrewed my last expired Iwasaki from it's mogul socket. Certainly a more somber ceremony indeed.

All of this has got me thinking though. And I’m wondering. What other industry mainstays have fallen out of favor over the years? Or, just simply went away with little fanfare like the Sakis’ have? Maybe having been replaced by a “better” product or simply phased out. I mean I've seen lots of stuff come and go, but this one really strikes a nerve with me, as my relationship with this bulb is long and genuine. While it's been harder to find time to really sit down and devote a moment to writing anything, I don't think there was any way at all, I wasn't going to write a little something about this event. And there you have it.

So what do you guy say? Any other Saki users out there want to lament this occasion with me?

Or, anyone else just want to pay tribute to bygone favorites we've lost over the years...

IMG_0036.jpg

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am regretful I never got around to trying them. I happen to really like the shallow water mid day look and regularly consider trying out 10k halides in place of my 14k. I worry about too much par though. NOT turning this into an advice thread or hijacking.

I was under the impression you used coralvue 10k 400 watt bulbs? Or was that just on the one prop tank in the coralvue video you did recently?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am regretful I never got around to trying them. I happen to really like the shallow water mid day look and regularly consider trying out 10k halides in place of my 14k. I worry about too much par though. NOT turning this into an advice thread or hijacking.

I was under the impression you used coralvue 10k 400 watt bulbs? Or was that just on the one prop tank in the coralvue video you did recently?

no worries man All comments and discussion very welcome. i alternated the 400 watt 10ks in when i set up the new facility, but ended up going back to the sakis about a year in. I like the idea of less total watts and equal too, or more par even, which is what make the iwasakis so special:)

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used Iwasakis but thought about trying them. The lamps that I loved the most and gave me the best results were 250W XM 10Ks. I am still using one but I really think it is on its last legs as it is 4+ years old. They were inexpensive, very high par, nice crisp color IMO and grew my corals the best. I am still lamenting I cannot get them anymore.

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries man All comments and discussion very welcome. i alternated the 400 watt 10ks in when i set up the new facility, but ended up going back to the sakis about a year in. I like the idea of less total watts and equal too, or more par even, which is what make the iwasakis so special:)

So am I reading correctly that you run your bulbs 3 years at a time?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So am I reading correctly that you run your bulbs 3 years at a time?

Not exactly i used to go short year when i ran the M-80's, 10 months maybe. But on electronic ballasts I'll get a year or two easy per bulb. Running 3 at a time, I'll get at least 3-4 years total out of my last 9 bulbs

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news I ran radiums with sakis on my personal tank about 10 years ago and the look of that bulb is the reason why I always run at least one Tropic 6500k in my Powermodule at all times. Corals love it but reef fishes bathed in light around 6500k just makes me smile.

Tjakes680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH T5 combo is the best im reefing since the 80 s and MH was the high end best of the best and when they put PC and then T5 with them it was complete heaven The shimmer the growth rate But the negitve the heat the $$$$ for bulbs and electric But honestly when i finally was able to run MH it was like nothing else I still run a current outer orbit extreme 3 bulb 250 watt MH with 8 T5 combo its a 72 inch fixture and i love it i also dont use a chiller i learned if u raise it high enough no glass cover u can get away without a chiller in my basement anyway well I love MH and will use mine till it no longer works witch its made 12 years as of now so hopefully it keeps on going

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes reminisce about the days of 20K radiums or the 14k Phoenix I started out with in 2006, but ultimately, it's probably a good thing. The amount of electricity those bulbs were using in home reefs was just silly and in the face of what we're dealing with now with our oceans in trouble, it's probably for the better. No judgement though. Those bulbs clearly grow corals like champs, your business is testament to that.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes reminisce about the days of 20K radiums or the 14k Phoenix I started out with in 2006, but ultimately, it's probably a good thing. The amount of electricity those bulbs were using in home reefs was just silly and in the face of what we're dealing with now with our oceans in trouble, it's probably for the better. No judgement though. Those bulbs clearly grow corals like champs, your business is testament to that.

If you’re doing it right the electrical difference is peanuts.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re doing it right the electrical difference is peanuts.

Truth. To get proper coverage on every 24x24x24 slice of water you would need 1 250 watt halide, 2 radion XR-30’s (330 watts max would probably run them in the 200-250 range), 6-8 bulb t5 (144-192 watts). So in reality they all utilize about the same electricity if the tank is properly lit. Also, don’t even give me the bulb replacement garbage. No one is keeping their LED system for 8-12 years and it would take 9 or more bulb replacements to equal the $1800 per 24x24x24 Radions cost. O and to top it off the amount of heavy metals and other rare earth elements used in led/semiconductor production is disgusting...

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Iwasaki was my first halides and nothing compares. Add a few actinics and it was great...
I remember that was the main bulb till Ushio launched their lamp. The next big bulb was the radium..
Actually though there has been a bump in halide sales an t-5 recently. I just doubt many are looking at that bulb though...
BRS still has some Iwasakis in stock.. Might want to stock up..

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now you are really making me nostalgic Adam Derickson . Well I never ran the Iwasakis but I dearly miss Reeflux 10K 400 watts and XM 10K 250 watts.

XM was a PAR monster - not like Iwasakis but the warmth you feel by looking at a XM tank supplemented with VHOs could just bring a piece of Palau in your house .

And Reeflux - what do I say other than the only bulb that could make any blues and purples literally jump out of the water. I still remember a decade back seeing Oregon Tort under reeflux and its the most amazing blue I have laid my eyes upon.

Sad but both are gone like the legendary Iwasakis !

Regards,
Abhishek

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive actually seen a somewhat comeback on halides. Although they are of success for coral growth, they are the least energy efficient.
LED have proven successfully but also costly, so you then do the math- energy cost VS. cost of led and if a halide cost $700 to operate over a year, thats the price of ONE AP 700. So, which direction do you go?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back