That one acro that simply doesnt do well in your tank

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have any of you guys ever got an acropora that for some reason dies in your tank no matter how well your tank is doing and how many times you buy it? For me its the tck sour polyp tenuis that i have been lucky enough to get twice from their live sale to no avail. Mines did well for a 2 weeks and last night it just RTN completely from the base up. Every other sps in my tank has been doing phenomenal and parameters are spot on. I test alk everyday and stays consistently between 8.1-8.3. Other parameters are as follows
Cal 450
Mag 1380
Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate 0.06
Got 4 kessil a360x and 2 reefbrite strips. Even the crem de la creme i got from them is encrusting already so i cant for the life of me know what could be a cause. This is a before and after in a 2 day window.

20210403_214612.jpg 20210407_172245.jpg
Funny you should mention tck sour polyp tenuis. I tried it once and it just died while everything around it was great. I haven’t pulled the trigger on another one, but it’s been a couple years and now I’m curious….

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
DFS Pink Panther, I have never gotten it to do anything but barely encrust and then either sit there for years or STN and then poof.

Tyree Purple Monster does similarly, though I had one get up to a perfect 4" colony and then died overnight in an alk swing before I can cut a backup.

Also any Acropora I pay money for. If I trade for it, it will do great. If I pay cash it will die in quarantine :loudly-crying-face:
You know what my nemesis is? That d*mned Tyree Superman Tenuis. So frustrating!
A buddy mentioned that he keeps his in about 150 par because it starts to STN if he goes any higher…. I had this latest one in about 225-250 and it looked amazing for a week and a half and then the skin just started falling off :thinking-face:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what my nemesis is? That d*mned Tyree Superman Tenuis. So frustrating!
A buddy mentioned that he keeps his in about 150 par because it starts to STN if he goes any higher…. I had this latest one in about 225-250 and it looked amazing for a week and a half and then the skin just started falling off :thinking-face:
Opposite for me. Mine is in 400 par and growing really well for the last year. The PE isn’t as good since I switched to the radions but that’s probably bc these stupid radions are mounted so close to the water.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Opposite for me. Mine is in 400 par and growing really well for the last year. The PE isn’t as good since I switched to the radions but that’s probably bc these stupid radions are mounted so close to the water.
How long you had it?

Dumb thing is the only coral I can’t seem to keep. I’ve got 100 acro colonies, I can grow a Speciosa but can’t grow a Tyree Superman?! Come on man… lol

ryan265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any smooth skin acro struggles in my system. I can grow anything else like a weed...

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like some folks here, I can't keep Tenuis alive after a few months. I can practically grow everything else but always wanted a Walt Disney for show. So far, I'm batting 0/2 with fresh cut frags! Perhaps try a fully encrusted frag in the future...

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It’s a “meh” blue Tenuis. I haven’t been able to pull the reddish polyps out. I guess I could always just photoshop them in
:astonished-face::astonished-face: You can’t do that! You would shock the SPS world!!

I’ve got a RRU angry bird which can’t be beat in the red/blue dept but a nice poor man’s version of the blue/red is a BC Laser Melon I scored a while back. I’m liking it a lot

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:astonished-face::astonished-face: You can’t do that! You would shock the SPS world!!

I’ve got a RRU angry bird which can’t be beat in the red/blue dept but a nice poor man’s version of the blue/red is a BC Laser Melon I scored a while back. I’m liking it a lot
AB can’t be beat???
C93E9F8C-23BB-43E9-B69F-FEA2DC8A02E1.jpeg
This was sold as a Malaysian Tenuis but it looks more and more like a speciosa as it grows out

Back