That one acro that simply doesnt do well in your tank

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have 1 acro I got as a mini colony maybe a year ago. It just wont take off like any other frag i put into my tank even the frags i make of it. Its alive has very slowly based out and gotten better color than when I got it. Its just kind of been there. In the past it was any coral i really liked that would not do well or die but now I know it was me and my lack of experience keeping acros.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me this darn SCOP that i have had for a little over a year. It was tiny when I got it but since then hardly any vertical growth and very little encrusting. Stinks too cause I know how dope they look and mine has nice bright orange polyps. Taking up some good Real estate too

Attachments

• D01352D3-ABC0-428E-8EBC-2F9BC42659AC.jpeg
    D01352D3-ABC0-428E-8EBC-2F9BC42659AC.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 74

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump on this....what about frags from a certain vendor or hobbyist who's frags just don't make it in your system. I hear stories of people buying from a person/vendor and the coral grows fine for a few months then one day it just dies, but all other corals are doing fine. Very interesting.

corey

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to list PC Rainbow, but JDA beat me to it . It tried 3 times. I’m 2 strikes on red planet. I’m not much on acropora these days. I always loved montipora. Some montipora spit at me to like my 3 strike at bubble gum digi . It just gave me the finger as I write this .

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My downfall is the beautiful Hawkins Acropora echinata...

Jcascioli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately for my bank account, my arch nemesis is the JF Sunday Driver. I’ve gone through three frags before I threw in the towel. I have also struggled with the TCK Atomic Echinata. However I’m on my third one of those and finally starting to grow out, so fingers crossed!

fishfong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colorful High end Acropora Tenuis are the most difficult to keep. Extremely sensitive to changes. That's why those Tenuis group of coral frags command high end prices. Shane Backer stated the number one killer for Tenuis is not changing out your RO membrane. Another note is there are lots of species of corals, even expert can 't identify a coral specie because the structure of corals growth is different in an aquarium verse growing in the ocean. I guess one day we will have DNA ability to ID our corals. There are probably different species fox flame and sellers bundle them together and ones looking like fox flame will sell as fox flame frags.

jonb154

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That happened to me with a BC milli but then i got an ASD milli and its doing just fine.
I had the exact same thing happen in reverse my ASD started to rtn but my BC is doing great with polyp extension and everything

jonb154

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you guys ever got an acropora that for some reason dies in your tank no matter how well your tank is doing and how many times you buy it? For me its the tck sour polyp tenuis that i have been lucky enough to get twice from their live sale to no avail. Mines did well for a 2 weeks and last night it just RTN completely from the base up. Every other sps in my tank has been doing phenomenal and parameters are spot on. I test alk everyday and stays consistently between 8.1-8.3. Other parameters are as follows
Cal 450
Mag 1380
Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate 0.06
Got 4 kessil a360x and 2 reefbrite strips. Even the crem de la creme i got from them is encrusting already so i cant for the life of me know what could be a cause. This is a before and after in a 2 day window.

20210403_214612.jpg 20210407_172245.jpg
I have a couple spots in my tank where anything I put there rtn I’ve adjusted my pumps for flow checked the par I just don’t put frags there anymore

Aquaman11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two that have encrusted like crazy but have no vertical growth; BC Bleeding Tree and Blue Matrix. Both are about 3 1/2 years in my tank with good color and PE. I'd like to repurpose that tank real estate but haven't been able to give up on them since they look so healthy.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have SPS that loves my nano however the one coral I have tried but can’t grow is the Red Planet - Acropora hyacinthus.
It just bleached and never coloured up however for the first month displayed perfect PE.

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is easy for me. the JF Jolt. I just can't get one to catch. I've tried 3 separate frags, one from Jason himself at a show. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: If I find a nice chunky 3 or 4 branch piece who knows. I'll probably try it again because I'm a sucker.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC Striptease. Got a half inch frag over a year ago and it hasn't budged. (Looks like a Strawberry Shortcake of some kind).

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Fox Flame hates me.
As you know Larry, I have a growout system with all LED’s and a DT tied into it with a hybrid T5/AI prime combo. Same sump, same water. For whatever reason, the FoxFlame grows like a weed under the straight LED growout system and in the DT it has only kicked out 4-6 branches over a years time! But it’s encrusted about 6”x 6” area ironically. Must not like the T5 Hybrid is what I chalk it up to :thinking-face:

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
DFS Pink Panther, I have never gotten it to do anything but barely encrust and then either sit there for years or STN and then poof.

Tyree Purple Monster does similarly, though I had one get up to a perfect 4" colony and then died overnight in an alk swing before I can cut a backup.

Also any Acropora I pay money for. If I trade for it, it will do great. If I pay cash it will die in quarantine :loudly-crying-face:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back