Thawing frozen food -- do you use RODI or saltwater?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get LRS if you’re in Hong Kong? Which foods (Frozen, flakes or pellets) do you generally source locally?
Hong Kong has an extremely large reefing community. It’s in many company’s best interest to sell here. LRS is sold in only one place but they do carry their whole line. Never seen Rod’s here. But I like to buy Hikari frozen. But you’re right about pellets, one small pellet is densely packed with nutrients.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've never used rodi or tap water, but i don't see why not. usually i just thaw a couple cubes in tank water and add either vitachem or selcon

lately i've been tinkering with different ways to feed as i've noticed my copperband butterfly doesn't like the large ball of fish action when i feed via the shotglass of food. so i've been using my innovative marine strainer thingy mentioned earlier or just dropping in a piece of still frozen lrs or rods. the cbb seems the most on top of attacking that and the other fish don't seem to attack it with fervor until the cbb has broken it up pretty good and gotten several bites for herself

i also try to feed pellets and flakes regularly so my fish are used to eating it. currently i have all of them eating pellets except the cbb which probably can't eat pellets. NLS and TDO pellets are pretty awesome and supposedly check a lot of boxes in the fish nutrition realm so i'd recommend those. pe mysis flakes seem quite good too

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get LRS if you’re in Hong Kong? Which foods (Frozen, flakes or pellets) do you generally source locally?

We do have a single retailer in HK, as well as one in Japan and Singapore.

Sealife Hong Kong
Flat C, 1/F, Kai Wan Building
142 Tung Choi Street
Kowloon, Hong Kong

Thanks for the interest in LRS foods!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've never used rodi or tap water, but i don't see why not. usually i just thaw a couple cubes in tank water and add either vitachem or selcon

lately i've been tinkering with different ways to feed as i've noticed my copperband butterfly doesn't like the large ball of fish action when i feed via the shotglass of food. so i've been using my innovative marine strainer thingy mentioned earlier or just dropping in a piece of still frozen lrs or rods. the cbb seems the most on top of attacking that and the other fish don't seem to attack it with fervor until the cbb has broken it up pretty good and gotten several bites for herself

i also try to feed pellets and flakes regularly so my fish are used to eating it. currently i have all of them eating pellets except the cbb which probably can't eat pellets. NLS and TDO pellets are pretty awesome and supposedly check a lot of boxes in the fish nutrition realm so i'd recommend those. pe mysis flakes seem quite good too

If your cbb has a favourite spot hold the block / cube of frozen there, see how it reacts. :)

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use rubber gloves when hand feeding fish? Or are bare hands okay?

i mean.. that's really not necessary. i just in general try to keep my hands out, less tinkering, less oily hands getting in there. that sort of thing. plus soap is usually anti-bacterial so probably not great to wash your hands and then go plop them in the tank, but probably an overblown concern

if you're messing with corals and what not, gloves are probably best. never know when you'll encounter a bristleworm or a coral will sting you or something of that sort.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a large tupper ware of hot tap water, float another tupperware inside to unthaw frozen food in, I do this so I can suck out the frozen food water.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Wondering how people thaw their frozen food before feeding their fish. I've been using "fresh" saltwater, but also heard someplace that thawing food with RODI is better for the fish because it helps with maintaining their own internal salt balance which is lower than saltwater. I suppose it's a similar question if you hydrate pellet food too.

Thanks in advance.

Salt water out of the tank.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mean to derail the thread, but how many of you feed frozen food as a staple over pellets and flakes? I heard pellets are more nutritious than frozen foods but I could be wrong.
I have always used and fed my fish frozen.... best thing outside of live food. And i use rodi water to thaw out the food.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many people are thinking to much into this what kind of water to thaw frozen food. :cool:

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used and fed my fish frozen.... best thing outside of live food. And i use rodi water to thaw out the food.
I typically use frozen, although I feed pellets every now and then to keep the fish familiar with it. When I go out of town, I use an auto feeder with pellets.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically use frozen, although I feed pellets every now and then to keep the fish familiar with it. When I go out of town, I use an auto feeder with pellets.
Thats prolly a great idea... When i go out of town... i have to have someone feed my fish babies.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a squirt bottle of RODI I keep on the counter, I just put a little of that in a dish to help the food along. I don't see how it could matter. Maybe not a bad idea to keep a squirt bottle of fresh salt water but I don't want to keep adding to salinity.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back