The 240: Out of the ashes a Phoenix shall rise...

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the overflow to quiet down. I could not for the life of me get the three drain thing to work.

I converted to a herbie and it is dead silent. The return is louder. Gonna have to quiet that down now.

I changed out the pinky filter and cleaned the skimmer and managed to cloud the heck out of the tank. :(

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention: I both love and hate skimmer cleaning day. The smell is atrocious! But, the curve 9 elite is the best skimmer I have ever used and is super simple to clean and empty. I have used most major brands and DIY skimmers. This thing is a beast!

The only thing I wish I could change is to have a DC pump.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anyone was wondering, the 77 f150 is coming along nicely.

The block, crank and heads are at the machinist. Now this is the cool part: After 460K miles the rods, cylinders and mains are all still at factory spec! Yes, the only thing that is needed is cleaning, honing, crank polish and decking. It's insane. The machinist couldn't believe it until he saw the numbers and the block matches the build sheet.

I have ordered pistons. Standard sized Keith Black Hyper flat top with valve reliefs. Should bump up the compression a bit. It was anemic at best from the factory.

I will order the rings, bearings and gaskets Monday. We have to discuss a couple things before I do.

Started smoothing the firewall last night. Once I get that done, I can paint the front part of the frame and do the brake work and paint the inner fenders and firewall white again.

My buddy and I are working on the amp rack/sub box this weekend and a console for his f250 diesel.

Sunday I have to work on converting a FOWLR 150 to reef and an inwall 110H from reef to freshwater for a customer (no way this will be done in one day) and fix about 60 feet of rail fence for her and install a new lockset. Jack of all trades. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anyone was wondering, the 77 f150 is coming along nicely.
Umm... no one was wondering.....

The block, crank and heads are at the machinist. Now this is the cool part: After 460K miles the rods, cylinders and mains are all still at factory spec! Yes, the only thing that is needed is cleaning, honing, crank polish and decking. It's insane. The machinist couldn't believe it until he saw the numbers and the block matches the build sheet.
You can do all the work you want, it still won't be a Chevy. :p
1601571389331.png

I'm going to be doing a big coral cutback this weekend to fix some shading/coral warfare issues. Sounds like you are full up so I'm going to toss them in the dryout bin. I'll still be able to get you lots of frags when you are ready.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... no one was wondering.....

You can do all the work you want, it still won't be a Chevy. :p
1601571389331.png

I'm going to be doing a big coral cutback this weekend to fix some shading/coral warfare issues. Sounds like you are full up so I'm going to toss them in the dryout bin. I'll still be able to get you lots of frags when you are ready.
I would like some slimers please. I’ll come get them

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like some slimers please. I’ll come get them
Of course! I've got a race Saturday morning, but I can cut some frags any time after lunch on Saturday and probably all day Sunday. Those are easy to cut frags off of.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course! I've got a race Saturday morning, but I can cut some frags any time after lunch on Saturday and probably all day Sunday. Those are easy to cut frags off of.
I’ll holler sunday. Will be close to your house doing maintenance

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll holler sunday. Will be close to your house doing maintenance
Sounds good. I'm thinking I'll be elbows deep after lunch in the tank, I'll probably bag and float some frags for you to pick up when you get here.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, @Brew12 I have been a Chevy guy my whole life and always will be. This truck is special. I have found it very difficult to work on compared to a Chevy. But, that's just me. I am sure Ford guys say the reverse.

I had a 65 Falcon that I finished and sold because it fought me at every turn. I was constantly fixing stuff even after I rebuilt the whole car.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Dude really sorry to hear about the store.... I kept saying i need to get out of this house and come see you.. Had plans to do so when the 72 is wet, but alas :(

It's ok. Much less stress now. Concentrating on my family, 240, truck and health now.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am sorry I haven't updated in a while.

A lot has been going on.

Had some problems with the tank. Mainly noise and top off issues.

I would up having to get a new sump. I should have gone fijicube from the beginning and I knew it. I now have a 36 and it's fantastic!

We had to replumb the overflow to get it to calm down. Should have gone fijicube here as well and went with an eclipse L. To me, it's junk. I have it working now and dead silent but it was a battle to do so.

Finally, the topoff. I bought a JBJ and it didn't work from the start so I went manual for a bit then tried a Tunze and it was terrible until I found out that it had been set to nano from the factory and the optical sensor was scratched. I polished out the scratch and set the tank size to match and now all is right with the universe.

I am now battling aptasia but will win in due time.

The fish are all fantastic and most of the softies are loving life.

I have switched gears on lighting and am testing a DIY kit possibility for Orphek. If it works out, I will probably be distributing the parts for them. It'll be another month or two before I know for sure it's working. Right now, I really like the coloration.

Now for some personal stuff. I got sick again and have had a terrible time regulating my diabetes. We really can't figure it out. On top of that, I just recently lost the woman who has been like a mother to me for 22 years and the only Gran the boys have known. To say my family is devastated is an understatement.

I will be posting more hopefully soon along with photos.

BTW, the truck is moving along quite nicely and I am keeping the blog up on it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now battling aptasia but will win in due time.
I just ordered 20 peppermint shrimp from Reefcleaners. I'll let you know how they look.

Now for some personal stuff. I got sick again and have had a terrible time regulating my diabetes. We really can't figure it out. On top of that, I just recently lost the woman who has been like a mother to me for 22 years and the only Gran the boys have known. To say my family is devastated is an understatement.
I'm sorry to hear this. You can't catch a break on the health department. And my sympathies on your loss. Maybe not having the aquarium store has turned into a blessing, even if it was a lost dream.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 20 peppermint shrimp from Reefcleaners. I'll let you know how they look.

I'm sorry to hear this. You can't catch a break on the health department. And my sympathies on your loss. Maybe not having the aquarium store has turned into a blessing, even if it was a lost dream.
Please do. I was going to order some when I found a good source.

Yes, we have determined that I am better off without the store. No matter how much driving buy it every morning bothers me.

I appreciate the concern. Gwen was a great person. She loved enough for three lifetimes.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere, as I have it bookmarked lol.

Btw, how big is Tiny now?

Well, pretty soon he will be changed to Ginormo. LOL!

Close as I can get: 13" long. That's up from 11" when you brought him down. He is king of the castle unless Baby (the yellow bellied regal) is in a mood. I was handling him the other night to look for any markings from a scrap they had. My buddy was amazed he let me do it. He's fine. No marks. :)

I have found if I move the clip or use more than one, they fight. The other tangs and rabbit fish just do their thing.

BTW, looking for a rear (non-step) bumper for the 77. Any bump side or dent side will do. 68-72 or 73-79.

Back