The advantages and disadvantages of a bare bottom tank. Would you go BB?

Would you maintain a reef tank with a bare bottom?

• Yes I do now

Votes: 224 24.8%
  • Yes, I will try it in the future

Votes: 164 18.2%
  • No, I tried it and didn't like it

Votes: 72 8.0%
  • No I will never

Votes: 404 44.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 38 4.2%

• Total voters

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand looks awesome but all the fish poo it collects and dirt made me use a bare bottom tank. My sea urchins are constantly creating a new sand bed. Weekly i get 1/2 a cup of sand from them and probably the other calcified things like spirid worms.

Bb doesnt solve nutrient issues. I still have a refugium with a 165w red leds filled with chaeto, ulva lactuca, ulva intestinalis. I still use a big beckett skimmer which pulls 1 to 2 gallons of dark skimmate a week. Despite having a bb tank with all this no3 varies between 5ppm to 100ppm. Po4 varies between .05ppm and .65ppm. So really if the goal was for nutrient reduction bare bottom doesnt solve it. My next build will use sand for this reason lol. If it doesnt work i can suck it out.

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going BB, actually contemplating lining the bottom with Oceans Wonders frag tiles. My Red Sea 170 is a successful BB. Once the coralline covers everything it’s beautiful. I’m going to do Bizzaro or Rainbow Madness cyphastrea on the bottom, probably both

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 35

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon BB and I love it. My plan is to put Zoas and mushrooms on the bottom, have GSP on the back wall and then have other soft corals on my rock work. I have no issues with algae and it is so easy to keep clean.
1630247520276.jpeg

You just described my 120 softie tank. I maintain some substrate at the very left of the tank.

Last edited:

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are the advantages of having a bare bottom reef tank?

I feel as though I don't fight as much algae, I've yet to get cyano or anything typically that you get with "sandies"

2. What are the disadvantages of having a bare bottom reef tank?

detritus for days. I vacuum into a sock in the sump but it piles up quick. I've turned up the flow as much as I'm comfortable doing so.

3. How many of you run your tank bare bottom and how many of you used to but switched back to sand and why?

2 tanks running, 1 bb, 1 sand.
Love your profile picture
Do you still have it?
Got one this summer, so fun to watch.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef in the ocean is not on the floor aka sand bed. The reef is way above and some corals are not tolerate to sand
Right, especially the reef crest which is the biotope many sps keepers wish to create. Rock bottom (well centuries of coral skeleton rock bottom).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back