The AlgaeBarn Tank Build Thread 43Gal Red Sea Reefer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pod population in my tank is thriving. Can you post video of your Mandarins so we newby' scan get a sense of what we can expect? Thanks!!

Hi there, the Mandarins were fine but we needed a TON of copepods to feed all four. To the point where we decided not to continue with this because nobody who did not own a copepod company could reasonably keep four of these fish fed in this size tank. We were dumping in upwards of 2 gallons ($300 MSRP) a week and we realized that we really did not want anyone else to attempt this, especially anyone who is new to the hobby. We have decided to go in a different direction with the channel, one that is more geared towards helping new hobbyists succeed and understand their ecosystems. We tried it and it sort of worked, but it was not practical for the average hobbyist to try and keep that many mandarins in this size tank so we decided not to continue it. Again, we absolutely DO NOT recommend that anyone else attempt this. The new channel is sent to launch in January, the tank has matured nicely despite being moved once from TX to CO, and we will have only one mandarin in the new youtube series that is coming soon. Thank you for your interest!

OP
OP
AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, could you tell me how the vectra is performing int the reefer 170?
It is great, no issues at all and being able to program it to the max and min flow levels for the tank is a really great feature. Thanks for asking!

OP
OP
AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Artfully Acrylic (vendor here) prob has your lid on file. Order it up and in a few weeks you will have an awesome lid!

Thank you! I was able to have one made for $80 from Elegant Reef in San Antonio, TX. If you do go with this tank, a lid is almost a must as we had 3 fish jump on us in the first three months!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back