The (Almost) "Full Monti": A biased and overly-opinionated look at the genus Montipora...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The true orenji is in my top five Sps of all time. One of the best. And I had a monster purple tip spongodess back in the day that was as cool looking as it gets. It was the centerpiece of the tank even. Then there's the ultimate oddball. The BC metal polyp!

metal.jpg

I have always had a soft spot for monties. Especially unique ones!

Bunch of old classics stuffed in a look down in 2010

abde4886-12e9-48e5-8e79-9dc945a9d1d9_zpseb9be9ca.jpg

GO ADAM! What a cool collection! See a trade in our future! LOL

By the way, folks- If I were looking for great corals and amazing service from another vendor, Adam and Battlecorals would be the place...He's real deal, loves this stuff as much as anyone can (even though I'll bet he's done a Monti Cap "swirl" or two in his time...LOL), and epitomizes what is good about the industry!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple different types on a single rock and it's fascinating to watch the variety of offense and defensive methods that they use against one another.

On the surface, Montis do appear 'wimpy' when they go up against most other corals. But, when attacked they tend to quickly 'ooze' out in another direction and in this way keep on expanding territory.

Using this technique, I had a M. capricornis and a Leptastrea pruinosa circle each other many times around the same rock pinnacle for nearly eight years and neither could defeat the other.

Sort of a DMZ...cool! About as aggressive as two kittens fighting, though...LOL (I'm SO biased against Monti Caps, huh?)..:tongue:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two kittens fighting...LOL.

My Leptastea is actually one potent stinging coral and no SPS that I have today has yet been able to stand up to it if it doesn't have room to 'ooze' around the Lep. In a month or so the Lep will be in contact with a Milli so that'll be an interesting showdown.

How cool would a show called 'Coral Wars' be where various coral altercations could be observed in real time using time-lapse photography.

Last edited:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You are too kind man. Plugging other vendors in your own thread! More than thank you! And you are right I have done a bunch of goofy stuff with monties. I once thought I could create a "branching" sunset by cutting a ton of tiny sunset frags and glueing them all over a big dead milli colony. "Sunset milli!" I giggled to myself assuming that they would perfectly encrust over the old milli like a glove.

Well it didn't even come close. The frags just filled in the gaps and the colony ended up looking funky as ever. That's just one story......

Thanks again for the kind words.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are too kind man. Plugging other vendors in your own thread! More than thank you! And you are right I have done a bunch of goofy stuff with monties. I once thought I could create a "branching" sunset by cutting a ton of tiny sunset frags and glueing them all over a big dead milli colony. "Sunset milli!" I giggled to myself assuming that they would perfectly encrust over the old milli like a glove.

Well it didn't even come close. The frags just filled in the gaps and the colony ended up looking funky as ever. That's just one story......

Love that story! To bad it's not brown, it could have been entered in our contest! LOL

And the kind words are much deserved! Keep doing what you're doing, bro.

-Scott

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have pics of this mad scientist experiment?

andijo81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, and this is where I've fed my addiction to them... many a time. If you ever get a chance to see
Adam's collection or as I call it "Narnia" in person, do so. :)

joseg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any Stellata ORANGE monti? I can’t see any pics anywhere...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back